The Art of Rural Cycling?

I just read Robert Hurst's "The Art of Urban Cycling."

OK, but what about *rural* cycling?

I live in an small town surrounded by farmland and more small towns,
mostly.

Any books, articles, webpages, etc., about rural cycling?

(Hurst did mention in his book that the "hit from behind by a motor
vehicle"-type accidents are more likely on rural roads. That was about
the only reference to rural cycling that I remember in his book.)

[email protected] wrote:
> I just read Robert Hurst's "The Art of Urban Cycling."
>
> OK, but what about *rural* cycling?

> I live in an small town surrounded by farmland and more small towns,
> mostly.
>
> Any books, articles, webpages, etc., about rural cycling?

Well, somewhat facitiously:

A Bike Ride: 12,000 Miles Around the World by Anne Mustoe

Miles from Nowhere: A Round the World Bicycle Adventure by Barbara
Savage

Fraser, John Foster. Around the World on a Wheel. Chatto and Windus.
Account of the first around the world bicycle expedition 1896-8.

For everyday riding I don't think I have seen any either. This is
probably because a) there are more English language urban cyclists who
write and b) most of the time rural cycling can be pretty relaxing,
baring attacks by dog, the occasional ram or moose, or hitting stray
deer and other assorted wildlife. Traffic problems (for highways
anyway), equipment concerns and so on are much the same either in an
urban or rural environment.

> (Hurst did mention in his book that the "hit from behind by a motor
> vehicle"-type accidents are more likely on rural roads. That was about
> the only reference to rural cycling that I remember in his book.)

This last is probably due to no lighting at night if I remember
correctly.

BTW the Fraser book is a very good read.

John Kane
Kingston ON

"John_Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> For everyday riding I don't think I have seen any either. This is
> probably because a) there are more English language urban cyclists who
> write and b) most of the time rural cycling can be pretty relaxing,
> baring attacks by dog, the occasional ram or moose, or hitting stray
> deer and other assorted wildlife. Traffic problems (for highways
> anyway), equipment concerns and so on are much the same either in an
> urban or rural environment.

Being in the UK and often cycling in a rural area... if I came across even
one moose whilst out cycling, I could make a lot of money from the story.
Either that or be carried off to the nearest funny-farm on grounds of being
delusional ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Maybe I'll have to take a stab at writing that book.

I live in a very remote, rural area and ride 12,000 miles or so a year here
in the boonies. My old buddies from the urban and suburban areas where I
used to live are afraid to come down here because they fear, "rednecks."
I've never had a single problem with a redneck. I've had some problems with
their dogs which never seem to be leashed.

The art of rural cycling, in my mind, boils down to a) being able to
appreciate and enjoy solitude, b) being equipped to handle what may come on
the road when nobody else is around, c) learning how various animals react
when approached and d) learning not to look like whatever poor critter is in
season for the hunters.

Regarding item c), there are some interesting rules:

1. When you see a deer cross the road ahead of you, assume there will be
more. And they will dart right out in front of you and nearly kill you!

2. Goats in the road will always dart for home if they are scared. So,
even if you're the one scaring them and you are between them and their home,
they're going to dart for home ... and you might get stampeded.

3. Chickens, when encountered in the road, sometimes fly straight up into
your face.

4. If there's a major snake in your lane at the same time there's an
oncoming car blocking you from going wide around it, it's best to aim for
the snake's head. Otherwise, you could get struck.

5. You can't win when you encounter a horse. Half the time, the riders
expect you to announce your presence so you don't startle the horse. The
other half, they yell at you, "don't talk to my horse." Weird.

6. You can, however, win when it comes to an encounter with a tractor.
They're kinda fun to race. But they're too easy to beat.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I just read Robert Hurst's "The Art of Urban Cycling."
>
> OK, but what about *rural* cycling?
>
> I live in an small town surrounded by farmland and more small towns,
> mostly.
>
> Any books, articles, webpages, etc., about rural cycling?
>
> (Hurst did mention in his book that the "hit from behind by a motor
> vehicle"-type accidents are more likely on rural roads. That was about
> the only reference to rural cycling that I remember in his book.)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:28:09 -0400, "psycholist" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>6. You can, however, win when it comes to an encounter with a tractor.
>They're kinda fun to race. But they're too easy to beat.
>

>--
>Bob C.

Great post. Incidently yesterday I beat my first two big trucks. Usually
I'm beaten by them. One truck wasn't really trying to beat me, but wasnt
lagging behind either.

I lead him out for at least 500 yds up a slight incline before turning off.
The other one -was- trying to beat me for the same distance, but he was a
double 18-wheeler and was gearing up the whole time. There was even a
thrilling photo-finish where he almost caught me and pinned me between an
on-coming mini-bus (half-size school bus), but I surged and won - uh
fortunately. ;-}

(I ride some back roads with moving van company, and a cement-mixer company
out on a dead end which ride through the neighborhood on the way to the
interstate.)

And...I got a PR, upping my best average speed on that route by 0.3mph.
Doesn't seem like much, but... (yay!)

jj

How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you stretching
the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
riding? I'm actually curious.

In article <[email protected]>,
"zsilverball" <[email protected]> writes:

> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year.

By riding everywhere and not driving anywhere.
And having further to go for stuff than city-dwellers
like myself.

I don't doubt Bob's veracity.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

zsilverball <[email protected]> wrote:
>How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you stretching
>the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
>riding? I'm actually curious.

Simple - just do 1000 every month. (Or, if you don't like winter riding,
do 2000 a month for six months of the year.)

It's not exactly trivial, but if you're serious about biking it's not
that hard either. If you have a 25mile one-way commute to work, and
ride every working day, that's your 1000miles/month plus a few extra.
You can expect to spend three hours on the road every day, but a lot of
people do that driving too, and it's probably a lot more enjoyable on
a bike once you've developed the endurance for it.

Me, I'm aiming for 1200km before I put the bike away for the winter,
and not sure if I'm going to make it. Living a 10minute walk from
work is nice for a lot of reasons, but getting in cycling distance
isn't one of them. (I'm probably well into the high percentiles for
walking distance, though; I haven't measured it, but I'd be surprised
if I average much less than 50km/week.)

dave

--
Dave Vandervies [email protected]
> How do I sort pointers tostructures. The key field is an int.

The simple answer: you use qsort(). The hard answer: you buy Knuth.
--Jen Jirochvong and Richard Bos in comp.lang.c

"psycholist" wrote: (clip) 5. You can't win when you encounter a horse.
Half the time, the riders expect you to announce your presence so you don't
startle the horse. The other half, they yell at you, "don't talk to my
horse." Weird. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had a long conversation with a horse owner about horses and motorcycles,
and horses and bikes sharing the trails. A horse that is spooked is very
dangerous, and it is not surprising that the rider may be nervous when we
approach. A bicycle is very quiet, and it is possible to get fairly close
before the horse and rider see you. I always keep a little distance, and
ask the rider whether it is okay to pass. Nearly always, they smile, say
yes, and thank me. Occasionally, I have been asked to hold back. That's
fine with me. I may need that person's support sometime when questions
about trail closure are debated.

zsilverball wrote:
:: How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you
:: stretching the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for
:: this much riding? I'm actually curious.

Being self-employed would certainly help. Being a fast rider helps too.
Riding most days of the week would make it possible, too. Thing is, riding
solo in a rural area would seem to make one a lonely person . :)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:21:02 -0400, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>zsilverball wrote:
>:: How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you
>:: stretching the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for
>:: this much riding? I'm actually curious.
>
>Being self-employed would certainly help. Being a fast rider helps too.
>Riding most days of the week would make it possible, too. Thing is, riding
>solo in a rural area would seem to make one a lonely person . :)

Pros ride 20K/yr. Being retired and riding everyday, optimal conditions I
could do 8k, even though I'm old and infirm, if I had a sponsor, lol. ;-)

(Go Bill!)

jj

psycholist wrote:
> 1. When you see a deer cross the road ahead of you, assume there will be
> more. And they will dart right out in front of you and nearly kill you!

I hit a deer once driving a car. Didn't do the deer or the windshield
much good ...

> 5. You can't win when you encounter a horse. Half the time, the riders
> expect you to announce your presence so you don't startle the horse. The
> other half, they yell at you, "don't talk to my horse." Weird.

Most of the horses I encounter (this is rural Pennsylvania) are pulling
Amish buggies.

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> 6. You can, however, win when it comes to an encounter with a tractor.
> They're kinda fun to race. But they're too easy to beat.

When my husband and I were on that Canadian Rockies tour, we did a tractor
race. We'd beat it on the downhills and flats, but on every uphill it seemed
to be able to grind up a little faster than us, and eventually pass us
again. I thought the driver would be annoyed, but he actually looked quite
amused. It took three or four ups and downs before we finally got decisively
ahead of it.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

zsilverball wrote:
> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you stretching
> the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
> riding? I'm actually curious.

12000 miles per year is a bit more than 32 miles per day.

Speaking for myself (and not the OP), I don't see that as being an
excessive distance. I ride 8 miles to work every day (i.e. 16 miles a
day). I can certainly imagine someone in better shape than myself (I
need to drop about 30 lbs) easily handling 32 miles a day.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:28:09 -0400, psycholist wrote:
> Maybe I'll have to take a stab at writing that book.
>
> 1. When you see a deer cross the road ahead of you, assume there will be
> more. And they will dart right out in front of you and nearly kill you!

Deer are stupid, when spooked they'll run towards danger. We spooked a
herd that was a 1/4 mile away and they ran towards us. Our group was
split by 100 yards and they ran between us. The second group stopped,
the 1st group had to speed up to avoid a collision.

> 5. You can't win when you encounter a horse. Half the time, the riders
> expect you to announce your presence so you don't startle the horse. The
> other half, they yell at you, "don't talk to my horse." Weird.

When we encounter horses (this is on the roadway or they're riding
along side the road) we sign a song nothing loud just somthing
consistent so they can hear us coming up on them. If a rider told me
to be quiet I'd recommend not riding that horse in this area as it's
too busy an area. So far we've had no problems and the rider generally
appreciates the noise (I'm not a good singer :) so as not to spook
the horse.

> 6. You can, however, win when it comes to an encounter with a tractor.
> They're kinda fun to race. But they're too easy to beat.

I live in an area infested with Adult Communities (55+ years of age)
and we often get the race the 'old' ladies who drive too slow. We
generally win. Most of the Adult Community is no longer a problem
because the older ones who were taught that you ride against traffic
have passed on. This is not a citisism of the community. The other day
we blew by a lady of about 25 - 30. She was only doing about 20 in a
45 mph zone. We passed on the left but I don't think she got the hint.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

On 25 Aug 2005 13:00:09 -0700, zsilverball wrote:
> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you stretching
> the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
> riding? I'm actually curious.

I know a retired lady who rode 19K miles in one year, considering she
averages only 13 mph that's a major accomplishment! BTW, this is not a
second hand report, she's in my bike club. We call her Boots (her name
is Lilian). For the fisrt few years that I knew her she rode in high
heeled boots.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

"zsilverball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you stretching
> the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
> riding? I'm actually curious.

I'm not stretching the truth even an inch. Actually, I've had several years
of 13,000 miles and more.

I get this question a lot. I get a kick out of it. I get it from people
who are getting out of their cars at rides. I ride to rides and I ride
home. They get in a 30 mile ride and I get in 60. All the time they spend
packing up their bikes and gear I spend throwing a leg over my bike and
riding.

But the real big part of the answer is, I'm self-employed and work from
home. I'm 49. My kid is grown and out of the house. I live in South
Carolina where the climate allows riding year-round. Even in the dead of
winter, I can head out during the warmest part of the day for a couple of
hours. I'm not fighting the 8 to 5 grind. My schedule is flexible.

Oh, and I REALLY love riding. My wife never gripes when I want to buy a new
bike 'cuz she knows I'll use it.

--

Claire Petersky wrote:
> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > 6. You can, however, win when it comes to an encounter with a tractor.
> > They're kinda fun to race. But they're too easy to beat.

> When my husband and I were on that Canadian Rockies tour, we did a tractor
> race. We'd beat it on the downhills and flats, but on every uphill it seemed
> to be able to grind up a little faster than us, and eventually pass us
> again. I thought the driver would be annoyed, but he actually looked quite
> amused. It took three or four ups and downs before we finally got decisively
> ahead of it.

Someone mentioned horses pulling Amish buggies. (Or was it Amish horses
pulling buggies?)

Anyway, we have lots of Amish near here, and I've had several races
with Amish buggies. The guys (always guys) really seem to enjoy it -
but they invariably lose. It's not really much of a contest, at least
at my present age.

But even if it were close, they have such a nice draft that I'd be able
to hang back and take them at the finish - whatever that would be!

- Frank Krygowski

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> zsilverball wrote:
> :: How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you
> :: stretching the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for
> :: this much riding? I'm actually curious.
>
> Being self-employed would certainly help. Being a fast rider helps too.
> Riding most days of the week would make it possible, too. Thing is,
> riding solo in a rural area would seem to make one a lonely person . :)

I didn't move down here 'cuz I craved a crowd. I do own my own business and
have plenty of people in my life to deal with. I also head to Anderson and
Greenwood for twice-weekly club rides. But I've never had any problem being
alone with my own thoughts. I cherish the solitude, and I usually get
better training riding alone than I do with most groups with whom I ride.

To be brutally honest about it, riding with some of the pricks and
primadonas I've met up in the Greenville area (The Sobe Masters team guys
jump to mind) has made me appreciate the pleasure of riding alone. There
was a time when the faster folks would work their way to the front of a
century ride and work together so everyone could do the best time possible
for the ride. A nice bond would form as the group would work together and
lasting friendships would be made. But over the last few years, a group of
masters racers from Greenville has been coming to all the local events to
practice their team tactics on any group that gets going at the front. They
deliberately disrupt attempts to get a good group formed and they launch
solo attacks, etc. That's fine. They pay their money, they have a right to
ride the way they want to. But they've pulled some really lousy stunts,
too. Last year at one event, their tactics didn't shake a few of us. At 65
miles we made our only rest stop ... just long enough to fill our bottles.
These guys barged to the front of the line, filled their bottles, then left
in a sprint before the rest of us could get filled up. It was just lousy
and immature. I got sick of all that kind of **** over the years. Plus,
these guys are real impressed with themselves that they can pee from their
bikes. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Sure, the pros do it ...
sometimes. These guys do it to show off to each other ... and when they're
riding AT THE FRONT of a group. I never saw it happen, but I was sure it
would, that one of them would go down with his ***** in his hands and some
poor soul behind would end up being the guy making a trip in an ambulance.

Anyway, the animals I encounter here in these parts seem more civilized.

--

psycholist wrote:

> I didn't move down here 'cuz I craved a crowd. I do own my own
> business and have plenty of people in my life to deal with. I also
> head to Anderson and Greenwood for twice-weekly club rides. But I've
> never had any problem being alone with my own thoughts. I cherish
> the solitude, and I usually get better training riding alone than I
> do with most groups with whom I ride.
> To be brutally honest about it, riding with some of the pricks and
> primadonas I've met up in the Greenville area (The Sobe Masters team
> guys jump to mind) has made me appreciate the pleasure of riding
> alone. There was a time when the faster folks would work their way
> to the front of a century ride and work together so everyone could do
> the best time possible for the ride. A nice bond would form as the
> group would work together and lasting friendships would be made. But
> over the last few years, a group of masters racers from Greenville
> has been coming to all the local events to practice their team
> tactics on any group that gets going at the front. They deliberately
> disrupt attempts to get a good group formed and they launch solo
> attacks, etc. That's fine. They pay their money, they have a right
> to ride the way they want to. But they've pulled some really lousy
> stunts, too. Last year at one event, their tactics didn't shake a
> few of us. At 65 miles we made our only rest stop ... just long
> enough to fill our bottles. These guys barged to the front of the
> line, filled their bottles, then left in a sprint before the rest of
> us could get filled up. It was just lousy and immature. I got sick
> of all that kind of **** over the years. Plus, these guys are real
> impressed with themselves that they can pee from their bikes. It's
> the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Sure, the pros do it ...
> sometimes. These guys do it to show off to each other ... and when
> they're riding AT THE FRONT of a group. I never saw it happen, but I
> was sure it would, that one of them would go down with his ***** in
> his hands and some poor soul behind would end up being the guy making
> a trip in an ambulance.
> Anyway, the animals I encounter here in these parts seem more
> civilized.

<eg> Now that's good stuff! <eg>