The Art of Rural Cycling?

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> psycholist wrote:

BIG SNIP

> <eg> Now that's good stuff! <eg>

Wow ... I just re-read that rant. I guess I needed to get that off my
chest, eh?
--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

"Neil Cherry" wrote: (clip) When we encounter horses (clip) we sign a song
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1.) They won't hear it.
2.) Horses don't know signing.)

psycholist <[email protected]> wrote:
:> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:> news:[email protected]...
:>> zsilverball wrote:
:>> :: How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you
:>> :: stretching the truth a little. If not how do you have the time
:>> :: for this much riding? I'm actually curious.
:>>
:>> Being self-employed would certainly help. Being a fast rider helps
:>> too. Riding most days of the week would make it possible, too.
:>> Thing is, riding solo in a rural area would seem to make one a
:>> lonely person . :)
:>
:> I didn't move down here 'cuz I craved a crowd. I do own my own
:> business and have plenty of people in my life to deal with. I also
:> head to Anderson and Greenwood for twice-weekly club rides. But
:> I've never had any problem being alone with my own thoughts. I
:> cherish the solitude, and I usually get better training riding alone
:> than I do with most groups with whom I ride.

I'm a solo rider too. :)

:>
:> To be brutally honest about it, riding with some of the pricks and
:> primadonas I've met up in the Greenville area (The Sobe Masters team
:> guys jump to mind) has made me appreciate the pleasure of riding
:> alone. There was a time when the faster folks would work their way
:> to the front of a century ride and work together so everyone could
:> do the best time possible for the ride. A nice bond would form as
:> the group would work together and lasting friendships would be made.
:> But over the last few years, a group of masters racers from
:> Greenville has been coming to all the local events to practice their
:> team tactics on any group that gets going at the front. They
:> deliberately disrupt attempts to get a good group formed and they
:> launch solo attacks, etc. That's fine. They pay their money, they
:> have a right to ride the way they want to. But they've pulled some
:> really lousy stunts, too. Last year at one event, their tactics
:> didn't shake a few of us. At 65 miles we made our only rest stop
:> ... just long enough to fill our bottles.

I've been wondering lately how far folks could go without stopping to water
up, etc....I had no idea it was 65 miles, though. Wow.

These guys barged to the
:> front of the line, filled their bottles, then left in a sprint
:> before the rest of us could get filled up. It was just lousy and
:> immature. I got sick of all that kind of **** over the years.
:> Plus, these guys are real impressed with themselves that they can
:> pee from their bikes. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
:> Sure, the pros do it ... sometimes. These guys do it to show off to
:> each other ... and when they're riding AT THE FRONT of a group. I
:> never saw it happen, but I was sure it would, that one of them would
:> go down with his ***** in his hands and some poor soul behind would
:> end up being the guy making a trip in an ambulance.

Amazing. I guess these guy really enjoy being amoung the fastest around...

:>
:> Anyway, the animals I encounter here in these parts seem more
:> civilized.

Yep.

psycholist <[email protected]> wrote:
:> "zsilverball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:> news:[email protected]...
:>> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you
:>> stretching
:>> the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
:>> riding? I'm actually curious.
:>
:> I'm not stretching the truth even an inch. Actually, I've had
:> several years of 13,000 miles and more.
:>
:> I get this question a lot. I get a kick out of it. I get it from
:> people who are getting out of their cars at rides. I ride to rides
:> and I ride home. They get in a 30 mile ride and I get in 60. All
:> the time they spend packing up their bikes and gear I spend throwing
:> a leg over my bike and riding.
:>
:> But the real big part of the answer is, I'm self-employed and work
:> from home. I'm 49. My kid is grown and out of the house. I live
:> in South Carolina where the climate allows riding year-round. Even
:> in the dead of winter, I can head out during the warmest part of the
:> day for a couple of hours. I'm not fighting the 8 to 5 grind. My
:> schedule is flexible.
:>
:> Oh, and I REALLY love riding. My wife never gripes when I want to
:> buy a new bike 'cuz she knows I'll use it.

Life is good....well, yours, that is! :)

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> psycholist <[email protected]> wrote:
> :> "zsilverball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :> news:[email protected]...
> :>> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you
> :>> stretching
> :>> the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
> :>> riding? I'm actually curious.
> :>
> :> I'm not stretching the truth even an inch. Actually, I've had
> :> several years of 13,000 miles and more.
> :>
> :> I get this question a lot. I get a kick out of it. I get it from
> :> people who are getting out of their cars at rides. I ride to rides
> :> and I ride home. They get in a 30 mile ride and I get in 60. All
> :> the time they spend packing up their bikes and gear I spend throwing
> :> a leg over my bike and riding.
> :>
> :> But the real big part of the answer is, I'm self-employed and work
> :> from home. I'm 49. My kid is grown and out of the house. I live
> :> in South Carolina where the climate allows riding year-round. Even
> :> in the dead of winter, I can head out during the warmest part of the
> :> day for a couple of hours. I'm not fighting the 8 to 5 grind. My
> :> schedule is flexible.
> :>
> :> Oh, and I REALLY love riding. My wife never gripes when I want to
> :> buy a new bike 'cuz she knows I'll use it.
>
> Life is good....well, yours, that is! :)

I worked very hard to get here, but it's true that I enjoy many blessings.
--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

> Claire Petersky wrote:
> > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > 6. You can, however, win when it comes to an encounter with a tractor.
> > > They're kinda fun to race. But they're too easy to beat.

snip

Sorry, Claire!

> Someone mentioned horses pulling Amish buggies. (Or was it Amish horses
> pulling buggies?)
>
> Anyway, we have lots of Amish near here, and I've had several races
> with Amish buggies. The guys (always guys) really seem to enjoy it -
> but they invariably lose. It's not really much of a contest, at least
> at my present age.
>
> But even if it were close, they have such a nice draft that I'd be able
> to hang back and take them at the finish - whatever that would be!
>
> - Frank Krygowski

We have even more Amish here in lancaster County, PA.
See the movie "Witness"

Now for buggies and tractors towing the manure spreader...

WATCH OUT FOR THE STEAMING ROCKS!.....:)

HAND

wafflycat wrote:
> "John_Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > For everyday riding I don't think I have seen any either. This is
> > probably because a) there are more English language urban cyclists who
> > write and b) most of the time rural cycling can be pretty relaxing,
> > baring attacks by dog, the occasional ram or moose, or hitting stray
> > deer and other assorted wildlife. Traffic problems (for highways
> > anyway), equipment concerns and so on are much the same either in an
> > urban or rural environment.
> >>

> Being in the UK and often cycling in a rural area... if I came across even
> one moose whilst out cycling, I could make a lot of money from the story.
> Either that or be carried off to the nearest funny-farm on grounds of being
> delusional ;-)

My cousin's wife arrived home from work one night, after dark,in rural
Eastern Ontario a bit shaken up and reported to her husband that she
had nearly hit a hippo.

Needless to say he was a bit dubious, I believe he started asking if
she'd been out for a drink with the girls :) The next morning she was
vindicated when the local news reported an escaped hippopotamus from a
safari park.

I have never even seen a moose myself although when when working in
Northern Ontario I could get up and see the tracks around the cabin.
Lots of bears around but 5 summers and not a single moose :(

BTW did I not read of wild boar in Devon or somewhere down that way?

John Kane
Kingston ON

zsilverball wrote:
> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you stretching
> the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
> riding? I'm actually curious.

I don't see that that is all that difficult even if I have never done
it :)
I did 10,000km (6,200 miles) one season (April to Nov.) with nothing
more than a 15 km round trip commute, a Sunday club ride and my normal
utility cycling.

Give a longer commute and/or year round cycling 20,000km seems quite
doable.

John Kane
Kingston

"John_Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> BTW did I not read of wild boar in Devon or somewhere down that way?

There's wild boar in Kent IIRC, and possibly some other places where they've
escaped from farms, can't remember exactly where in detail, other than not
in my bit of rural England... thankfully We even get the odd wallaby in the
wild - again, escapees from collections/zoos/wildlife parks. Husband has
seen a wallaby sitting at the side of the road only a few miles from where
we live - I've no reason to doubt him. No escaped hippos AFAIK. We used to
have coypu in East Anglia, but they've been eradicated - did a lot of
damage. One of the worst escapees is the American mink. Not native to the
UK, but bred in fur farms. Misguided animal rights campaigners would
'liberate' the mink without a thought for the effect of that predator on our
own wildlife. As a result, our native water vole is a seriously endangered
species now as mink like water voles as a snack :-( One of the most commonly
seen deer species round here is muntjac - originally from China - brought
over here for private collections & the escapees have positively thrived.
Then the Romans brought over rabbits & pheasants...

No escaped hippo as far as I know ;-)

Cheers, helen s

[email protected] wrote:

>Someone mentioned horses pulling Amish buggies. (Or was it Amish horses
>pulling buggies?)
>
>Anyway, we have lots of Amish near here, and I've had several races
>with Amish buggies. The guys (always guys) really seem to enjoy it -
>but they invariably lose. It's not really much of a contest, at least
>at my present age.
>
>But even if it were close, they have such a nice draft that I'd be able
>to hang back and take them at the finish - whatever that would be!

Choose your response:

1) Oh, I guess that would be a draft horse....

2) I can think of several really important reasons not to draft
closely behind horses :)

Neil Brooks wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Someone mentioned horses pulling Amish buggies. (Or was it Amish horses
> >pulling buggies?)
> >
> >Anyway, we have lots of Amish near here, and I've had several races
> >with Amish buggies. The guys (always guys) really seem to enjoy it -
> >but they invariably lose. It's not really much of a contest, at least
> >at my present age.
> >
> >But even if it were close, they have such a nice draft that I'd be able
> >to hang back and take them at the finish - whatever that would be!

> Choose your response:
>
> 1) Oh, I guess that would be a draft horse....
>
> 2) I can think of several really important reasons not to draft
> closely behind horses :)

Always ride behind the buggie not the horse. It beats riding behind
cows I assure you :)

wafflycat wrote:
> "John_Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > BTW did I not read of wild boar in Devon or somewhere down that way?
> >

> There's wild boar in Kent IIRC, and possibly some other places where they've
> escaped from farms, can't remember exactly where in detail, other than not
> in my bit of rural England... thankfully We even get the odd wallaby in the
> wild - again, escapees from collections/zoos/wildlife parks. Husband has
> seen a wallaby sitting at the side of the road only a few miles from where
> we live - I've no reason to doubt him.

We've had kangaroos reported not too far from here but a lad from that
locality tells me that the sighter is prone to seeing many things
possibly including pink elephants. Besides I would doubt a kangaroo
would survive our winters.

> No escaped hippos AFAIK. We used to
> have coypu in East Anglia, but they've been eradicated - did a lot of
> damage.

Just don't let anyone introduce N.A. beaver. They can build a dam in a
night (well a small one) and it is amazing how fast they can cut down a
tree. One pair even cut down a pine tree (not all that tasty) and
appeared to have eaten the entire thing near where I used to live.

Now if you in the UK would like to take back the starlings :)

> One of the worst escapees is the American mink. Not native to the
> UK, but bred in fur farms. Misguided animal rights campaigners would
> 'liberate' the mink without a thought for the effect of that predator on our
> own wildlife. As a result, our native water vole is a seriously endangered
> species now as mink like water voles as a snack :-(

Obviously the animal rights idiots don't know anything about animals
:(. In fact they are downright dangerous doing something as stupid as
that.

I remember when I was a university some of the idiots 'liberatated' the
rats from the bio dept, probably with no idea if the rats were
dangerous. Pity they hadn't tried for the primates in the Psych Dept
and gotten bitten for their troubles. Reportedly 4-5 of those had
monkey B virus.

>One of the most commonly
> seen deer species round here is muntjac - originally from China - brought
> over here for private collections & the escapees have positively thrived.
> Then the Romans brought over rabbits & pheasants...
>
> No escaped hippo as far as I know ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s

John Kane
Kingston ON

"John_Kane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just don't let anyone introduce N.A. beaver. They can build a dam in a
> night (well a small one) and it is amazing how fast they can cut down a
> tree. One pair even cut down a pine tree (not all that tasty) and
> appeared to have eaten the entire thing near where I used to live.

IIRC there's a campaign of sorts to reintroduce beaver to the Scottish
Highlands... along with wolves. Darned silly, I think, considering when
there were last part of the UK landscape there were far, far fewer people
around and with a lot less people pressure on the land.

> Now if you in the UK would like to take back the starlings :)

Oh no - you can keep them. 'The Mafia' as I refer to starlings. Loads of
birds feeding at the various feeding stuffs I put out in the garden and then
The Mafia arrive, take over & scare off all the other birds. Mind you,
magpies are even worse than that. Magpies kill for the sake of killing, not
just for food. I really don't like magpies.

Cheers, helne s

"zsilverball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you stretching
> the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for this much
> riding? I'm actually curious.

I ride to work every morning at 4:30 a.m. (just 5 miles) and am finished by
1 p.m., so I can ride every day after work. I will have 8,000 miles so far
this year by Sunday or Monday, and I'm a 43 year old woman and ride alone
quite a bit, so it's really doable if you have the right schedule.

Carol Dailey

Cat Dailey wrote:
>.
>
> I ride to work every morning at 4:30 a.m. (just 5 miles) and am finished by
> 1 p.m., so I can ride every day after work. I will have 8,000 miles so far
> this year by Sunday or Monday, and I'm a 43 year old woman and ride alone
> quite a bit, so it's really doable if you have the right schedule.

You must also be doing a lot of non commuting riding. My arithmetic for
your commute only comes to about 2,500 miles per year. (5miles * twice
a day= 10 miles a day That's 50 miles a week or ~2500 per year.)

12,000 miles a year for folks who do things other than ride is a lot of
miles. Not impossible but a lot of miles. It comes to over 30 miles a
day, every day for the year. Not many folks can devote 2+ hours a day
to cycling, every day.

"gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Cat Dailey wrote:
>>.
>>
>> I ride to work every morning at 4:30 a.m. (just 5 miles) and am finished
>> by
>> 1 p.m., so I can ride every day after work. I will have 8,000 miles so
>> far
>> this year by Sunday or Monday, and I'm a 43 year old woman and ride alone
>> quite a bit, so it's really doable if you have the right schedule.
>>

> You must also be doing a lot of non commuting riding. My arithmetic for
> your commute only comes to about 2,500 miles per year. (5miles * twice
> a day= 10 miles a day That's 50 miles a week or ~2500 per year.)
>
> 12,000 miles a year for folks who do things other than ride is a lot of
> miles. Not impossible but a lot of miles. It comes to over 30 miles a
> day, every day for the year. Not many folks can devote 2+ hours a day
> to cycling, every day.

Oh, yes, I said I ride every day after work, not straight home again. It's
about a 40 mile day on work days. On my off days (Weds/Sat, I typically
ride 75-100 in season and 40-50 in the crappy weather).

Cat

That's impressive.
You must enjoy it to ride that much so it seems you have found the time
to do what you enjoy. That's great!

"gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> That's impressive.
> You must enjoy it to ride that much so it seems you have found the time
> to do what you enjoy. That's great!

Yes, I LOVE to ride. I can't quite figure out why, but what the heck....it
keeps me in great shape and I do have the time to do it (no kids). I really
like my rides with "my boyz," which are on Saturdays and leave from the
Philadelphia Museum of Art. It's usually a big bunch of racing guys who try
to hammer each other from the go (some would say it's a stupid ride, and it
does get that way sometimes). It tickles me that I can hang with them ;>
And my favorite thing of all are our bike trips. Every summer, my husband
and I do a bike trip somewhere, usually for a week or so. This year was
West Virginia.

Cat

psycholist wrote:

> ... over the last few years, a group of
> masters racers from Greenville has been coming to all the local events to
> practice their team tactics on any group that gets going at the front. They
> deliberately disrupt attempts to get a good group formed and they launch
> solo attacks, etc.

I'm curious. How does "launch(ing) a solo attack" disrupt forming a
group in a non-competitive ride?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Roger Zoul wrote:

> zsilverball wrote:
> :: How in the world can you ride 12,000 miles a year. Are you
> :: stretching the truth a little. If not how do you have the time for
> :: this much riding? I'm actually curious.
>
> Being self-employed would certainly help. Being a fast rider helps too.
> Riding most days of the week would make it possible, too. Thing is, riding
> solo in a rural area would seem to make one a lonely person . :)

You do spend a lot of time in your own head. However, riding solo in a
rural area has the side benefit of making you a very strong rider, since
you don't get to draft with your buddies.

I live one county north of Pittsburgh. Although there are lots of
bedroom communities for Pittsburgh, the county is mostly rural once you
get away from the interstate. I had a nice three-hour ride this morning
and had the roads mostly to myself, which is something you do not get in
urban-land.

There's a lot less traffic in general on rural roads, and that's a good
thing all the way around. The only time I have trouble is when I'm on
one of the more popular roads for getting from A to B and it's during a
time when contractors in their pickup trucks are also on the roads. I
hear a bit of "Get the !#$# off the road!" then. Otherwise, it's not
bad at all.

The biggest problem with riding in rural areas is planning water stops.
You have to plan your rides around water stops (and pee stops, if
you're getting enough water). You also have to have enough stuff with
you to bodge your bike enough to get you home, if it comes to it. A
decent multi-tool, a spare tube, a piece of duct tape (to boot the
tire), and a decent pump are the bare minimum. An extra powerlink or
the like is wisdom, too. Having your cell phone with you to call home
for a ride in the event of something you can't fix, well, that's a good
idea too, if the cell phone works where you happen to be. I also
usually have my driver's license and a major credit card in a jersey
pocket, just in case, plus a twenty in my cell phone case.

--
Chris BeHanna