Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

The Decent Roadbike under $700 thread!

Started by vegasbabee · · Last activity · 14 posts · 3,209 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 April 2005
Last activity
6 April 2005
Original author
vegasbabee
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,209
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. List bikes here that are under $700 and anything you know about them good/bad. That way we avoid a lot of "I don't want to spend a lot of money what roadbike should I get?" repeats. If anyone thinks its a good idea, sticky this bad boy. How good is this bike for $550.00? 😄lemondbikes.comnevada city.jsp

  2. Bikeforums.net has a thread on this that might interest you.

    Here is the link:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=69273

  3. vegasbabee said:

    List bikes here that are under $700 and anything you know about them good/bad. That way we avoid a lot of "I don't want to spend a lot of money what roadbike should I get?" repeats. If anyone thinks its a good idea, sticky this bad boy. How good is this bike for $550.00? 😄lemondbikes.comnevada city.jsp

    vegasbabee...that is a 2004 model. I was looking at one in NYC for $499, $550 isn't bad but you can get the 2005 version of it, rebranded the Etape, for about $550-$599. The Etape is the same bike w/the same specs but it is black with white banding. I test rode it and loved it immediately. I was just about to walk out of the shop with it until the shop's manager rolled a 2004 Tourmalet out of his stockroom and offered me that one for $850. The rides felt the same but the Tourmalet uses a Shimano 105/Ultegra drivetrain instead of Sora. Also I liked the look of the brushed aluminum finish with green banding. Hey...for $850 I may as well like what I am looking at, right?

    Take that baby for a ride...I think you will find it a very nice ride. If you can get the '05 for the same price then go for it, unless the blue suits you better.

    Whatever you end up with, enjoy your ride.

    Brian

  4. baj32161 said:

    vegasbabee...that is a 2004 model. I was looking at one in NYC for $499, $550 isn't bad but you can get the 2005 version of it, rebranded the Etape, for about $550-$599. The Etape is the same bike w/the same specs but it is black with white banding. I test rode it and loved it immediately. I was just about to walk out of the shop with it until the shop's manager rolled a 2004 Tourmalet out of his stockroom and offered me that one for $850. The rides felt the same but the Tourmalet uses a Shimano 105/Ultegra drivetrain instead of Sora. Also I liked the look of the brushed aluminum finish with green banding. Hey...for $850 I may as well like what I am looking at, right?

    Take that baby for a ride...I think you will find it a very nice ride. If you can get the '05 for the same price then go for it, unless the blue suits you better.

    Whatever you end up with, enjoy your ride.

    Brian

    Ok . Anymore decent low priced roadbikes?

  5. vegasbabee said:

    Ok . Anymore decent low priced roadbikes?


    Did you check the above link in Bike Forums? I am a member there too and that thread is very infornative. It helped me alot, even though I ended up with a more expensive bike. I had planned on staying around the $700 range. There are many good entry level road bikes in that range. Personally I test rode the Lemond Etape, Specialized Allez Triple, Giant OCR3 and Trek 1000. The frame geometry of the Lemond just felt the best to me, as did the ride. These are all very subjective issues and the only way to find out for yourself is to ride them. Try not to get too caught up on components as they will all be similarly packaged at that price point. You should be able to find something you like.

    Good luck in your search....the REAL fun comes when you get that baby out on its maiden voyage.

    Cheers,

    Brian

  6. I just bought a 2005 Trek 1000 and I love it! Last August I bought a Specialized Allez Triple (this was my first REAL road bike) and I liked it okay, but found out over time that the bike was waaay too big for me, so I sold it on ebay and got the Trek. The Allez was $575+tax and the Trek 1000 was $569+tax. I wasn't sure if I'd like the Trek as much because I had owned a Specialized MTB previously and loved it, but it is really a nice bike for the price. It has a carbon fork and seatpost and the frame is pretty light.

    The Sora components are entry level, however, if you get a shop to set them up nice for you, you'll have no problems. My Trek actually shifts rather quickly and quietly. Not too shabby! Eventually I'll want to get nicer components - maybe even a nicer frame someday, but this is a great bike for the low cost. I'm planning on doing some long rides on it this season!

  7. Check out the Trek 1000 - I have a friend who has one, and it seems pretty decent.
    Giant OCR range - I test rode an OCR Zero recently and although I didn't like the ride, it's great value. The OCR 1 or OCR 2 might be in your range.
    Felt range - they have some very affordable bikes...

  8. jitteringjr said:

    Bikeforums.net has a thread on this that might interest you.

    Here is the link:
    bikeforums.netshowthread.php

    I agree about the bikeforums link... it goes on and on and on.
    I also just got back into the market for a new road bike this year (previous ride is a 70's Dawes). I was shocked at all the changes (well, delighted really)

    After putzing around, talking to LBS folks, reading internet stuff... I was worried that an under $700 bike would grow old quickly (upgrades)... but I had 7 bills to spend and I was sticking to my guns.
    Then I got lucky:
    [censored] Street Bikes was having one of their big sales. An '04 Felt F65 ($1199 retail) was marked $699! Bingo. CF fork/seat stays, 105 Ultegra, lovely color, fast and smooth riding.

    The point is... if you have some time and options (a few different bike shops in your area) and they run spring clearance sales, you may get lucky and get MORE bike for that $700 allotment. Don't limit yourself to a particular model or make. If you talk to knowledgable shop folks, they will tell you that at any given price point, all the bikes are good and pretty similar (i.e. most bikes in the sub-$700 range have the same gruppo, similar frame build, weight, etc.) For me, it came down to bang for the buck and good fit. I was not sure about the yellow bike at first, but I LOVE it now cause I got a great deal on a great rig -- and it won't have to be upgraded anytime soon (it's way more bike than I figured I get)

    okay, that's enough ramble.

  9. sigurdd50 said:

    I agree about the bikeforums link... it goes on and on and on.
    I also just got back into the market for a new road bike this year (previous ride is a 70's Dawes). I was shocked at all the changes (well, delighted really)

    After putzing around, talking to LBS folks, reading internet stuff... I was worried that an under $700 bike would grow old quickly (upgrades)... but I had 7 bills to spend and I was sticking to my guns.
    Then I got lucky:
    [censored] Street Bikes was having one of their big sales. An '04 Felt F65 ($1199 retail) was marked $699! Bingo. CF fork/seat stays, 105 Ultegra, lovely color, fast and smooth riding.

    The point is... if you have some time and options (a few different bike shops in your area) and they run spring clearance sales, you may get lucky and get MORE bike for that $700 allotment. Don't limit yourself to a particular model or make. If you talk to knowledgable shop folks, they will tell you that at any given price point, all the bikes are good and pretty similar (i.e. most bikes in the sub-$700 range have the same gruppo, similar frame build, weight, etc.) For me, it came down to bang for the buck and good fit. I was not sure about the yellow bike at first, but I LOVE it now cause I got a great deal on a great rig -- and it won't have to be upgraded anytime soon (it's way more bike than I figured I get)

    okay, that's enough ramble.

    Thanks. A guy I work with has a Trek 1000 and likes it. I'm a novice here, but it seems that all of the price jumps in road bikes seems to be attributed to shifters and other components.

    I'm an expert at guitars the way most of you are here at bikes and I know that I can buy an overseas made Fender Stratocaster for $300.00 and ugrade the components like pick ups (the magnets that transform the vibrations from a plucked string to sound) and make it sound almost as good as a $1000,00 USA made guitar.

    It all boils down to overpriced American labor. Korean, Chinese, and Japanese made stuff is cheaper but I actually like the Asian work ethic better- I should know, I've been married to a Taiwanese girl for 5 years. They don't come to the factor high or drunk like us good old Yankees do. Ever see the movie "Gung Ho? They take great pride in their work.

    Remember how Toyota was putting GM workers out of work in the 70's and 80's because our workmanship was so shoddy? There ya go...🙄

  10. I bought a Giant TCR 3 for about the price range you mentioned. I'd have to get a calculator and check exchange rates to make sure what it cost in U.S. dollars but it was around 700 u.s. i think. I've been happy with the biek and like quite a bit better than the steel framed classic style road bike I had been riding. For a lower priced bike I think most anything in the nine kg weight range with free tuneups and a good warranty will work.

  11. vegasbabee said:

    List bikes here that are under $700 and anything you know about them good/bad. That way we avoid a lot of "I don't want to spend a lot of money what roadbike should I get?" repeats. If anyone thinks its a good idea, sticky this bad boy. How good is this bike for $550.00? 😄lemondbikes.comnevada city.jsp


    well if you are looking to just have fun and not race or anything it would prolly be a good deal. The other bike i know that is cheep is the trek 1000 and the lower end specialized but i forgot the name. i have not really heard about any problems with these bikes as long as they are maintained.

  12. baj32161 said:

    vegasbabee...that is a 2004 model. I was looking at one in NYC for $499, $550 isn't bad but you can get the 2005 version of it, rebranded the Etape, for about $550-$599. The Etape is the same bike w/the same specs but it is black with white banding. I test rode it and loved it immediately. I was just about to walk out of the shop with it until the shop's manager rolled a 2004 Tourmalet out of his stockroom and offered me that one for $850. The rides felt the same but the Tourmalet uses a Shimano 105/Ultegra drivetrain instead of Sora. Also I liked the look of the brushed aluminum finish with green banding. Hey...for $850 I may as well like what I am looking at, right?

    Take that baby for a ride...I think you will find it a very nice ride. If you can get the '05 for the same price then go for it, unless the blue suits you better.

    Whatever you end up with, enjoy your ride.

    Brian


    baj, nice bike, but...you really need to get a pair of clipless pedals.

  13. Alpha said:

    baj, nice bike, but...you really need to get a pair of clipless pedals.

    I have a pair...Vuelta Typhoon SPD pedals. Got 'em installed last Friday. I will never go back to clips and straps I can't believe the feel and the difference in my pedal stroke and power transfer. I love 'em.

    Cheers,

    Brian

    Old pics...with old pedals

  14. I think you can get Mercier Orion AL for about $440 on Ebay. With just about the same quality spec as the Lemond. I have Mercier; only complaint is that the headset jiggles already. only 600 mi. More info on cyclesmercier.com

    vegasbabee said:

    List bikes here that are under $700 and anything you know about them good/bad. That way we avoid a lot of "I don't want to spend a lot of money what roadbike should I get?" repeats. If anyone thinks its a good idea, sticky this bad boy. How good is this bike for $550.00? 😄lemondbikes.comnevada city.jsp

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.