The electric bicycle is silent inexpensive and reliable.

[email protected] wrote:
> Glad to read other peoples opinions.. my grandfather once said hr
> thought hard top automobiles were top heavy and would never own one ..
> he said gasoline was too damn expensive when it hit 6 cents a gallon
> horses were more reliable than the automobile.

Might still be true, smart man he was.

In article <[email protected]>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Per John Forrest Tomlinson:
> >I have to say, despite the dopey spamming by the OP, that the idea of
> >a bike with supplemental electric power is appelling for a bike used
> >for transportation.

> I had the same reaction.
>
> My commute to work is 24 miles round trip. It's nice on a bike a few times a
> week - but every day would definitely get really old really fast for me (who is
> kind of old to begin with....).
>
> Main attraction of an electric to me would be if I could sneak it on the 10
> miles or so of bike/mixed use paths between me and work. I figure that with
> three dollar a gallon gas, my car costs me about a buck a mile to drive... so
> cycling to work wither way is a significant money saver for me. Wouldn't shell
> out a grand or so just to find out whether I'd get a ticket though... and with
> $5.00/gallon gas.....

What is the price of a charge on an electric bike?

--
Michael Press

On 17 Jul 2006 20:49:45 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Glad to read other peoples opinions.. my grandfather once said hr
>thought hard top automobiles were top heavy and would never own one ..
>he said gasoline was too damn expensive when it hit 6 cents a gallon
>horses were more reliable than the automobile. 1902 Ferdinand Porsche
>at age 27 working for Lohner developed hub motors which initially ran
>on lead acid batteries and soon after had a petrol generator to charge
>the batteries: the first Hybrid vehicles.
>
>new ebike cost ? 500-1000

Range on a charge: 15 miles. Life expectancy: 7500 miles (being
generous.) That's 500 full-charge cycles (which won't happen on a
single set of lead-acid batteries), and 10 cents per mile for original
purchase cost across the life of the bike at $750 initial cost.

new Trek 7000 without electric motor: $269 Range: limited only by
the rider. Life expectancy: Unknown, typically Treks outlast the
rider. Taking 15000 miles as a minimal figure, that's 1.8 cents per
mile.

>new porsche ? 87-141,000

If you think anyone's going to accept your Model-T-level electric
conversion as being comparable in tech to a Porsche, you need to have
your business plan reexamined by a competent financial adviser.

I will note that Dr. Porsche designed a hub-motor system for the
Wehrmacht, but that the technology was not extensively deployed and
was scrapped after the war. Hub-motor systems are not new.

> electric bicycle is silent, does
>> >not stink or vibrate, is inexpensive and reliable.

>Electric
>
>> Silent? That depends on the system employed.
>>
>> As for their being reliable, that can't be established until there are
>> a lot more of them on the road...but my direct experience is that the
>> majority of the currently marketed electric bikes are *not* reliable,
>> nor are they practical as transport for someone who must commute the
>> typical 15 to 20 miles each way, even in the relatively flat environs
>> where I live.
>>

>The average automobile use in America is only 9 miles per day travel
>done by 1.3 people per auto.

Where do you get that? The figures I've seen say it's more like 1.06
people per mile travelled. Although the national average is about 9
miles per day, the typical commute in *your* city is 22 miles each
way. The interest in alternate forms of transport goes down as the
commute gets shorter, so your most fertile potential commuter market
is in precisely the segment that your device does not serve; the
people commuting from outside the Belt to inside the Loop.

>> [1] For purposes of discussion, I currently consider that an
>> electric-assist bike must have a range of 35 miles at no less than 90%
>> of average top speed with a 200 lb rider on level terrain, a battery
>> recharge time of one hour after a 35 mile run, a battery life of 1000
>> recharge cycles, a half-life to failure of the control system, wiring
>> and motor of at least 30000Km, and a completely tool-less recharging
>> procedure before it can meet a reasonable minimal definition of
>> potentially useful for the average general-public rider. Furthermore,
>> if the cost exceeds $400 over the price of a typical decent bike, I
>> question whether it can get market acceptance in any event. Anything
>> less in performance, or higher in price, is a niche-market specialty
>> vehicle.

>Ask General Motors to build you the same car fitting your requirements
>for $400

Actually, every major automaker currently sells vehicles with a
significantly lower per-mile cost, amortized over the life expectancy
of the unit, than your electric bike, taking the figures mentioned
above...and that's assuming that the replacement batteries are treated
as a maintenance cost. Yes, the "fuel cost" is lower, but the
perceived value of the transport capability delivered is, to the
average transport user, far lower for an electric bike than for an
automobile.

And what's the recharge time? None of the sites selling this product
seem to admit what is probable. I see things that make me believe
it's likely to be 5 to 20 hours depending on the battery pack and
charger employed, but nothing is explicitly stated.

This product will not attract many bike enthusiasts. Its potential
market is with the people who presently regard a bike as unacceptably
strenuous to employ, but otherwise potentially useful; there is no
estimate that I could find for the likely size of this market, but I
don't think it's as large (at this time) as it needs to be in order
for such products to be mass-market viable. Pacific is experimenting
with it, though, so we may see some harder data soon.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:32:56 GMT, RonSonic <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I see them on the trails I've used. Usually a mom, recent immigrant with bunches
>of kids on bikes. Nobody rats them out.
>
>Now those little pocket motorcycles, I'll pay for the ammo.
>
>I'd guess that if you stuck to pedal power on the MUPs you'd get away with it.

Yeah. And where I live *most* MUPs are quite flat.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Werehatrack wrote:
> [1] For purposes of discussion, I currently consider that an
> electric-assist bike must have a range of 35 miles at no less than 90%
> of average top speed with a 200 lb rider on level terrain, a battery
> recharge time of one hour after a 35 mile run, a battery life of 1000
> recharge cycles, a half-life to failure of the control system, wiring
> and motor of at least 30000Km, and a completely tool-less recharging
> procedure before it can meet a reasonable minimal definition of
> potentially useful for the average general-public rider. Furthermore,
> if the cost exceeds $400 over the price of a typical decent bike, I
> question whether it can get market acceptance in any event. Anything
> less in performance, or higher in price, is a niche-market specialty
> vehicle.

I think your requirements are a bit extreme. IMO, the biggest obstacle
to the use of light electric vehicles is a lack of *safe* places to use
one. I know I'm taking my life in my hands when I ride a bike, but it
is a hooby/sport for me and I accept that most fun things are also
dangerous. The average person who thinks that a 2500 lb car is too
small to be safe on the roads, would certainly not feel safe on a
scooter.

But, if we are talking about electric transportation, one of these
might make more sense:
http://www.electric-scooter-world.com/RoadTestEMaxSport.htm

Something similar with an enclosed body (like a velomobile) would be
practical transportation in rain and cold weather... but having to
share the road with large trucks will always make them unacceptable for
the vast majority of the population.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> built an electric mountain bike (off road too) that can go 20-25 Mph
> for 50 miles with 50 pounds for lead acid batteries. That's 10 cents
> worth of electricity to move 300+ pounds 50 miles. The batteries stored
> energy was just 1 Kwh. Gas has 37 KW's of energy per gallon or 50 miles
> x 37 times my battery capacity = 1,850 miles per gallon. 1,850 miles
> per the energy of one gallon of gas. Do we really need ten more
> examples like this or do I need to go on? I built an electric mountain
> bike (off road too) that can go 20-25 Mph for 50 miles with 50 pounds
> for lead acid batteries. That's 10 cents worth of electricity to move
> 300+ pounds 50 miles. The batteries stored energy was just 1 Kwh. Gas
> has 37 KW's of energy per gallon or 50 miles x 37 times my battery
> capacity = 1,850 miles per gallon. 1,850 miles per the energy of one
> gallon of gas. Do we really need ten more examples like this or do I
> need to go on?
> Pat in TX wrote:
>> >
>> > Plus the non-electric bicycle can go a lot farther without needing to
>> > be
>> > recharged.

>> Yeah, didn't the last time he posted this stuff he also mentioned that it
>> had to be recharged every 15 miles?

Ten cents to recharge? that is highly doubful, but maybe ain 1930 it cost
ten cents to recharge.
More like $10-15 bucks maybe more in today's reality.
After 100 recharges what is the mileage on a charge then?

I do have to say that a electric asist is attractive, especially right now
with 100 degree plus temperatures, but I haven't really found one that looks
useable for me.
I commute 23 miles one way with hills in the mix too. I would think that I
would have to go brushless as the brushes in many of these motors would not
last three or four months with me. Then the battery life is the next issue.
Currently I would probably have to replace the battery packs every six
months or so.
Using your current motor battery combination, I would need to recharge it
when I got to work and rechairge it when I got home for the next day.
It would make for a wonderful experiment to try it for a few months, but I
cannot see spending the money to confirm whether it works or does not work.
But if someone wanted to sponsor me on this, I would defnitely give it a
shot. I have ten miles on the commute home that is in full hot sun, no
shade, usually a 15+mph headwind, and 100 degree heat along with all that
heat radiating off the hot roads and cars, and 5 miles of this route goes
past the north end of the huge airport with 20 square miles of heat from the
hot runways blowing past me too. it would make for a great test.
The extra weight could be considered hill training too, so that technically
would not be an issue. As I have a heavy laptop, lunch and other stuff I
carry on my commutes anyway.
It does make my road bike feel like I am superman after a long time of
commuting with all this stuff.

On 18 Jul 2006 04:16:41 -0700, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I know I'm taking my life in my hands when I ride a bike,

Yeah. It's so dangerous I can't believe most people do it and come
home alive. Amazing really. Think especially of all those people in
the Netherlands and China too. They must be selling body bags in the
bike shops by now. About 120,000 people ride a bike each day in my
own city and I'm amazed the morgue hasn't filled up yet.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 06:35:40 -0500, "Earl Bollinger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ten cents to recharge? that is highly doubful, but maybe in 1930 it cost
>ten cents to recharge.
>More like $10-15 bucks maybe more in today's reality.

Actually, that's the one place where the numbers are not an
exaggeration; at 16c per kwh, given a 36V 10Ah battery pack that
requires a charging current of 42V at 4A for 8 hours for a full
recharge, that's just 1.3kwh, or 21.5 cents in electric current.
However, as you appear to imply, the cost of battery current is not
just the cost of the recharge energy, it's also bound up in the wear
and tear on the battery pack. If these are *really good* deep-cycle
lead-acid batteries, they might have a useful full-discharge service
cycle count as high as 100, with a replacment cost of about $55 to $60
if they can be purchased locally. (The cost is higher if shipping is
involved.)

>After 100 recharges what is the mileage on a charge then?

If golf cart usage is predictive, you don't want to discharge more
than 30% to 50% regularly before recharge. Consider the implications.

>I do have to say that a electric asist is attractive, especially right now
>with 100 degree plus temperatures, but I haven't really found one that looks
>useable for me.

Same here.

>I commute 23 miles one way with hills in the mix too. I would think that I
>would have to go brushless as the brushes in many of these motors would not
>last three or four months with me. Then the battery life is the next issue.
>Currently I would probably have to replace the battery packs every six
>months or so.

Sounds about right unless you wanted to boost up to a bigger and much
heavier battery pack, or drop major bucks on a NiMH cell pack instead.

>Using your current motor battery combination, I would need to recharge it
>when I got to work and rechairge it when I got home for the next day.
>It would make for a wonderful experiment to try it for a few months, but I
>cannot see spending the money to confirm whether it works or does not work.

There's the rub. At this stage, anyone who buys such a device is a
beta tester at best; possibly alpha. At least some of the people
making electric single-seat enclosed vehicles are honest abut the fact
that their tech is changing daily as they learn what is really needed,
and often gets modded with each unit produced. With the device under
discussion here, the design was obviously frozen long enough to make a
production run, but I doubt that it's at a long-term stable
level...but if it is, then the outlook isn't all that good for
widespread acceptance; the travel range, weight, and anticipated
durability all fall short of what I would optimistically predict as a
minimal useful level.

--

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per John Forrest Tomlinson:
> >I have to say, despite the dopey spamming by the OP, that the idea of
> >a bike with supplemental electric power is appelling for a bike used
> >for transportation.

> I had the same reaction.
>
> My commute to work is 24 miles round trip. It's nice on a bike a few times a
> week - but every day would definitely get really old really fast for me (who is
> kind of old to begin with....).
>
> Main attraction of an electric to me would be if I could sneak it on the 10
> miles or so of bike/mixed use paths between me and work. I figure that with
> three dollar a gallon gas, my car costs me about a buck a mile to drive... so
> cycling to work wither way is a significant money saver for me. Wouldn't shell
> out a grand or so just to find out whether I'd get a ticket though... and with
> $5.00/gallon gas.....

FWIW: When I lived in Santa Cruz, there were a significant
number of people using electric bikes (mostly ebikes or Curries)
as transport. Way fewer than the number of people using real
bikes, but more than I saw anyplace else. The town is part
flat and part quite hilly. I worked at the university, which is about
3 miles from and 800 feet above downtown. Real cyclists
ride up, and others take their bikes up on the bus and coast home,
but there's some number of people using electric bicycles, which
makes a certain amount of sense. I think the university may have
subsidized electric bike purchases for commuters.

People would take their electric bikes on the bike path uphill.
The bikes can mostly do ~350 watts, so they are faster uphill
than all but really strong riders (but top speed on flats is limited).
They are annoying for two reasons: 1) high pitched whine at high
speeds, and 2) their riders smugly pedal uphill as if they were
actually making a significant contribution. However, they were
legal on the bike path, and overall less annoying than one more
car's worth of pollution, traffic, and conversion of redwood forest
into parking lots. (Occasionally moped users would use the bike
path, which is illegal and super-annoying.)
Check with your local authority about path legality.

One other thing. Electric bikes, especially ebikes, are fairly
practical for commuting-type use, but really goddamn heavy.
If you live in a walkup apartment, forget it. This also makes
them less usable for non-electric-assisted use.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:49:02 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:

> I will note that Dr. Porsche designed a hub-motor system for the
> Wehrmacht, but that the technology was not extensively deployed and was
> scrapped after the war. Hub-motor systems are not new.

No, it really was in 1900. I have seen one on the London to Brighton run
for vehicles made in 1904 or earlier. Try this:
http://www.autohistory.org/feature_6.html

Your requirements for the electric-assist bike quite reasonable to me,
but I don't think lead-acid is ever going to satisfy them. Li-on might,
but not the cost yet. However my LBS say they've sold several hundred,
and all the evidence I see is that they're used exclusivly for short
distance urban trips by the unfit or unwell. Here's what I thought of
them in 1999: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/25/article16.html

Mike

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> I have to say, despite the dopey spamming by the OP, that the idea of
> a bike with supplemental electric power is appelling for a bike used
> for transportation.

Appealing or appalling? I thought you meant appalling when I first read
it, but after further review I'm confused.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:22:09 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> I have to say, despite the dopey spamming by the OP, that the idea of
>> a bike with supplemental electric power is appelling for a bike used
>> for transportation.

>Appealing or appalling? I thought you meant appalling when I first read
>it, but after further review I'm confused.

I meant appealing, sorry for the misspelling.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:22:09 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> I have to say, despite the dopey spamming by the OP, that the idea of
>> a bike with supplemental electric power is appelling for a bike used
>> for transportation.

>Appealing or appalling? I thought you meant appalling when I first read
>it, but after further review I'm confused.

It's "appelling" can't you read.

Ron

Here is the real deal - ebiking home from work today a 4 mile trip. At
mile one - mororist at stop light asked what powered the bicycle.
The next two stop lights were not functioning instead of waiting in
traffic I went around the traffic. At my turn off street mile 4 .. I
stopped at starbucks I timed the mororist who I had spoken to it took
45 minutes for him to catch up .
This is typical of traffic everyday in Houston and the people who live
further out 20 miles the commute is more like 2 hours. (like my son -
plus $75 dollas a month in tolls) on the new fast toll way to get stuck
in ordinary traffic at any given point off the tollway). The purpose of
the bike is for short distances - is local transit - not long distance
- I go to the store park / tie up right in front while the cars are
circling for that all imortant parking spot that is the closest to the
entrance.

I charge the bike to top if off but could use it more if I wish - the
top off time is may be 2 hours but can use it at any time. Tomarrow
will do the same any never have a personal interaction with gas pump.

It is doubtful you will be using an ebike soon sounds like its not for
you.

The cost per mile is not a discussion issue. What can automoble drivers
compare - my 20000 car gets better cost per mile than your 30000 car.
The more miles you put on the car averages out the cost of car
insurance and deperciation - ebike does not have.

For comparision ( real dollars spent ) my new ebike at $750 dollars to
used car at $750 dollars with insurance taxes and gas .. I will get
to My distination before the car - in My commute.

http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com/

hatrack wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2006 20:49:45 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >new ebike cost ? 500-1000

> >Electric
> >
> >> Silent? That depends on the system employed.
> >>
> >> As for their being reliable, that can't be established until there are
> >> a lot more of them on the road...but my direct experience is that the
> >> majority of the currently marketed electric bikes are *not* reliable,
> >> nor are they practical as transport for someone who must commute the
> >> typical 15 to 20 miles each way, even in the relatively flat environs
> >> where I live.
> >>

> >The average automobile use in America is only 9 miles per day travel
> >done by 1.3 people per auto.

> >> [1] For purposes of discussion, I currently consider that an
> >> electric-assist bike must have a range of 35 miles at no less than 90%
> >> of average top speed with a 200 lb rider on level terrain, a battery
> >> recharge time of one hour after a 35 mile run, a battery life of 1000
> >> recharge cycles, a half-life to failure of the control system, wiring
> >> and motor of at least 30000Km, and a completely tool-less recharging
> >> procedure before it can meet a reasonable minimal definition of
> >> potentially useful for the average general-public rider. Furthermore,
> >> if the cost exceeds $400 over the price of a typical decent bike, I
> >> question whether it can get market acceptance in any event. Anything
> >> less in performance, or higher in price, is a niche-market specialty
> >> vehicle.

> >Ask General Motors to build you the same car fitting your requirements
> >for $400

> And what's the recharge time? None of the sites selling this product
> seem to admit what is probable. I see things that make me believe
> it's likely to be 5 to 20 hours depending on the battery pack and
> charger employed, but nothing is explicitly stated.
>

> --
> Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> Some gardening required to reply via email.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Ahh so true .. I am fat and lazy - pedaling infrequently - just
getting sunshine while I ride to work and loving it.

[email protected] wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2006 15:02:44 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Americans love nature and the out of doors, it is part of our national
> >heritage. Many people have come to experience nature out the window of
> >a car, while sliding down a ski slope or on TV. Given the opportunity
> >to enjoy the out of doors on a silent, affordable urban transit
> >enthusiasts will choose to do so. The electric bicycle is silent, does
> >not stink or vibrate, is inexpensive and reliable.
> >
> >http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com/bike_to_work.htm

> Dear Lbutton,
>
> The non-electric bicycle is equally silent, does not stink or vibrate,
> and is even less expensive and more reliable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Fitness A conventional bike will keep you fitter, that depends how
much if at all. Research found that 46% of conventional bikes are used
only once or twice a week, with a further 30% being used once a month
or even less. By contrast electric bicycle owners ride their bike at
least once a day and 81% use the bike at least once a week. Our
experience that an electric bike typically gets used at least twice as
often as a conventional bicycle.

http://www.bicycles-electric-bikes.com/more_reading.htm

RonSonic wrote:
> On 16 Jul 2006 23:11:47 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > built an electric mountain bike (off road too) that can go 20-25 Mph
> >for 50 miles with 50 pounds for lead acid batteries. That's 10 cents
> >worth of electricity to move 300+ pounds 50 miles.

> Do some math and get back to us.
>
> Ron

Those who travel by automobile find jobs farther from their homes to
escape from the noise and air pollution of other people's automobile
travel.

AAA Says Average Driving Cost Is 56.2 Cents Per Mile For 2004 ... YEAR,
COST PER YEAR, COST PER MILE. 2004*, $8431, 56.2 cents. 2003, $7754 was
51.7 cents per mile
daily trip to the post office 2.5 miles one-way costs about $2.81 in
2004
The average driving cost -- a mix of expenses for small, medium, and
large passenger cars -- works out to $150 a week. And that's not just
because of the soaring price of gasoline. The AAA survey factors in
gasoline at 9.5 cents a mile, based on a $2.40 a gallon average price
nationwide at the end of 2005. Then, it adds other out-of-pocket costs
like tires, insurance, maintenance, licenses and financing.

Quoting [email protected] <[email protected]>:
>less. By contrast electric bicycle owners ride their bike at least once
>a day and 81% use the bike at least once a week.

That's a neat trick for the 19% who use it once a day without using it
once a week. In a moment a doctor with a flashlight will be along to show
us where your statistics come from.
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:eek:konomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores: