The Informed Sally Jenkins

B. Lafferty

Guest
From today's Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9742-2004Jul23.html?nav=headlines
Washington (the state): While I'm thoroughly convinced that Lance isn't
using EPO, the deaths of elite cyclists this past two years are getting
pretty shocking. What do you think professional cycling should do to stem
the use of performance-enhancing drugs?
Sally Jenkins: Well, Pantani didn't die of EPO, he died of a heroin
overdose. Who else are you referring to?
The new test is pretty effective. I firmly believe that if you use EPO
during the Tour, or in the immediate run up to the Tour, you have been
caught. We've seen riders tossed for positive tests every year since it was
instituted.

The rest of the question and answer session is also interesting as an
exercise in how personals are developed and cultivated by the mass media.

Disclaimer: This post has not been copyedited by Ken P.

> From today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9742-2004Jul23.html?nav=headlines
> Washington (the state): While I'm thoroughly convinced that Lance isn't
> using EPO, the deaths of elite cyclists this past two years are getting
> pretty shocking. What do you think professional cycling should do to stem
> the use of performance-enhancing drugs?
> Sally Jenkins: Well, Pantani didn't die of EPO, he died of a heroin
> overdose. Who else are you referring to?
> The new test is pretty effective. I firmly believe that if you use EPO
> during the Tour, or in the immediate run up to the Tour, you have been
> caught. We've seen riders tossed for positive tests every year since it

was
> instituted.
>
> The rest of the question and answer session is also interesting as an
> exercise in how personals are developed and cultivated by the mass media.

So? No one has ever claimed Jenkins is Einstein.
-Ken

> Disclaimer: This post has not been copyedited by Ken P.

You go grrl!