Eastway82 said:Well, I reckon he could have had a bloody good go... Boardman also holds the record for the Duo Normand (along with Jens Voigt) in an untouchable (so far) 1:04. That's a long time trial (54k), on the road, taking about an hour, on a hilly course, and plenty of other talented TT-ers have tried and failed to beat that time, including Sosenka, this year, who didn't even come close! (although it was pissing down).
For those how don't know about the Duo, see www.duonormand.com .
It's just about the only event in the world where nobbers like me can compete on the same course, on the same day, as everyone up to world champions and pros. There weren't many pros there this year because of clashes with the Vuelta and Tour of Poland, but next year it'll be back to a neutral date and most of the big teams will send riders. I can recommend it – but then I live ten miles down the road so I'm biassed.
Thinking about it, this means I'm probably the only guy on the forum who's raced both Boardman and Sosenka! Sort of...
I'm having a hard time seeing more than thumbnail photos on that thread. I see something to the effect that voight/boardman duo set a record in 1999. It's kind of hard to figure out what's going on with that. Anyway, what's that? Two people draft each other, trading off who's pulling and who's in tow? That must be what it is because a combined time of two riders riding separately could not possibly be 1:04. It would have to be a higher number.
I can't really comment on that course because I don't know the terrain and what it's all about.
What I meant about Boardman is that he had the ability to rise to the occasion in the one hour for a one day event, even though he didn't fare so well in it when it was part of a multi stage grand tour. Again, it goes back to physiology. Some people have better recovery ability on a day to day basis, and they do better in the tours. Certainly, Boardman was able to go beyond his specialty for a one day standalone event. Let's face it. He had the world record for several years until Sosenka broke it. If it were easy for joe rider to break it, he would have done it. Also, it broke Merckx' record. Chris' specialty was a shorter race though. That's why I said it was amazing he was able to get the one hour. I suspect that his ability to concentrate for a well rested one hour event was superior to most pros.