The price of beef ??

> Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
> looks a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
> supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
>
> Bob

What's "watered-down WalMart meat"?
I know that some pork producers inject their pork with a brine mixture
but that's mostly done to tenderize, flavor as well as preserve. You
can't "take meat away", so although you may be paying more for an
injected cut, (due to added liquid weight) the meat itself isn't being
replaced as you seem to indicate by "watering it down".
If you've ever brined a pork tenderloin, chops or chicken, you'll
understand at least part of the reason why they inject it with a
brining solution... it flat out tastes better, is tenderer and more
moist after cooking.
Aside from that, i've never come across a solution injected cut of
beef... I imagine, it would be a beef producers equivalent of market
suicide if they ever did. Kev

> Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
> looks a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
> supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
>
> Bob

What's "watered-down WalMart meat"?
I know that some pork producers inject their pork with a brine mixture
but that's mostly done to tenderize, flavor as well as preserve. You
can't "take meat away", so although you may be paying more for an
injected cut, (due to added liquid weight) the meat itself isn't being
replaced as you seem to indicate by "watering it down".
If you've ever brined a pork tenderloin, chops or chicken, you'll
understand at least part of the reason why they inject it with a
brining solution... it flat out tastes better, is tenderer and more
moist after cooking.
Aside from that, i've never come across a solution injected cut of
beef... I imagine, it would be a beef producers equivalent of market
suicide if they ever did. Kev

"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
>> looks a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
>> supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
>>
>> Bob

> What's "watered-down WalMart meat"?
> I know that some pork producers inject their pork with a brine mixture
> but that's mostly done to tenderize, flavor as well as preserve. You
> can't "take meat away", so although you may be paying more for an
> injected cut, (due to added liquid weight) the meat itself isn't being
> replaced as you seem to indicate by "watering it down".
> If you've ever brined a pork tenderloin, chops or chicken, you'll
> understand at least part of the reason why they inject it with a
> brining solution... it flat out tastes better, is tenderer and more
> moist after cooking.
> Aside from that, i've never come across a solution injected cut of
> beef... I imagine, it would be a beef producers equivalent of market
> suicide if they ever did. Kev

Based on my experience here (Rochester NY), if you don't want salt water
added to the pork you buy, you don't shop at Wal Mart. It's all they had.

kevnbro wrote:

> I know that some pork producers inject their pork with a brine mixture
> but that's mostly done to tenderize, flavor as well as preserve. You
> can't "take meat away", so although you may be paying more for an
> injected cut, (due to added liquid weight) the meat itself isn't being
> replaced as you seem to indicate by "watering it down".

I think it's mostly done to enable charging $4.49 / lb. for water. If
the damn intelligent designers had not designed leaner pork we wouldn't
need to brine the dry results. -aem

kevnbro wrote:

>>Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
>>looks a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
>>supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
>>
>>Bob

> What's "watered-down WalMart meat"?

The package says, "Enhanced with up to 12 percent solution." The
solution is sodium phosphate, becaues the phosphate allow the meat to
absorb lots of water. Some of them say something like "deep basted (c)"
The brands are Farmland and Hormel, and they supply just about all the
pork in the Midwest now.

> I know that some pork producers inject their pork with a brine mixture
> but that's mostly done to tenderize, flavor as well as preserve. You
> can't "take meat away", so although you may be paying more for an
> injected cut, (due to added liquid weight) the meat itself isn't being
> replaced as you seem to indicate by "watering it down".
> If you've ever brined a pork tenderloin, chops or chicken, you'll
> understand at least part of the reason why they inject it with a
> brining solution... it flat out tastes better, is tenderer and more
> moist after cooking.
> Aside from that, i've never come across a solution injected cut of
> beef... I imagine, it would be a beef producers equivalent of market
> suicide if they ever did. Kev

Look closely at the labels for beef and chicken; it has been adulterated
too. Very sad. The water that cooks out floods the skillet.

Bob

kevnbro wrote:

>>Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
>>looks a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
>>supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
>>
>>Bob

> What's "watered-down WalMart meat"?

The package says, "Enhanced with up to 12 percent solution." The
solution is sodium phosphate, becaues the phosphate allow the meat to
absorb lots of water. Some of them say something like "deep basted (c)"
The brands are Farmland and Hormel, and they supply just about all the
pork in the Midwest now.

> I know that some pork producers inject their pork with a brine mixture
> but that's mostly done to tenderize, flavor as well as preserve. You
> can't "take meat away", so although you may be paying more for an
> injected cut, (due to added liquid weight) the meat itself isn't being
> replaced as you seem to indicate by "watering it down".
> If you've ever brined a pork tenderloin, chops or chicken, you'll
> understand at least part of the reason why they inject it with a
> brining solution... it flat out tastes better, is tenderer and more
> moist after cooking.
> Aside from that, i've never come across a solution injected cut of
> beef... I imagine, it would be a beef producers equivalent of market
> suicide if they ever did. Kev

Look closely at the labels for beef and chicken; it has been adulterated
too. Very sad. The water that cooks out floods the skillet.

Bob

"tomkanpa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How come the price of New York Strip steaks and the local supermarket
> (Giant Eagle) is twice as much per pound as it is at Sam's??

Perhaps because Sams, part of the WalMart empire, underpays their employees,
forces them to work unpaid overtime, and screws them on benefits. Most
supermarkets are unionised and therefore have decent wages and benefits.

--
Peter Aitken

zxcvbob wrote:
> kevnbro wrote:
>
> >>Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
> >>looks a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
> >>supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
> >>
> >>Bob

> > What's "watered-down WalMart meat"?

> The package says, "Enhanced with up to 12 percent solution." The
> solution is sodium phosphate, becaues the phosphate allow the meat to
> absorb lots of water. Some of them say something like "deep basted (c)"
> The brands are Farmland and Hormel, and they supply just about all the
> pork in the Midwest now.

Fareway supermarket stores do have un-injected pork - at least here in
my area. But our main chain (Hy-Vee) has nothing but - even in the
"fresh" meat case. I can go to a small town locker, though, and buy
unadultered pork any time.

N.

zxcvbob wrote:
> kevnbro wrote:
>
> >>Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
> >>looks a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
> >>supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
> >>
> >>Bob

> > What's "watered-down WalMart meat"?

> The package says, "Enhanced with up to 12 percent solution." The
> solution is sodium phosphate, becaues the phosphate allow the meat to
> absorb lots of water. Some of them say something like "deep basted (c)"
> The brands are Farmland and Hormel, and they supply just about all the
> pork in the Midwest now.

Fareway supermarket stores do have un-injected pork - at least here in
my area. But our main chain (Hy-Vee) has nothing but - even in the
"fresh" meat case. I can go to a small town locker, though, and buy
unadultered pork any time.

N.

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:14:29 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>because its a better piece of meat?

What we need is another Mad Cow scare to bring the prices down
again. Actually, we don't need a "scare", we just need to hear
the results of accurate testing (AKA: the "truth").

Does anybody really think the meat supply here in the US is as
mad-cow free as the USDA and meat lobby want us to believe?
It's all politics. Plenty of JKD to go around for everyone.
They're (USDA and Meat Lobby) just in Containment Mode right now.

-sw

<[email protected]> wrote:

>because its a better piece of meat?

What we need is another Mad Cow scare to bring the prices down
again. Actually, we don't need a "scare", we just need to hear
the results of accurate testing (AKA: the "truth").

Does anybody really think the meat supply here in the US is as
mad-cow free as the USDA and meat lobby want us to believe?
It's all politics. Plenty of JKD to go around for everyone.
They're (USDA and Meat Lobby) just in Containment Mode right now.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > readandpostrosie wrote:
> >> because its a better piece of meat?
> >>

> > Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it looks
> > a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
> > supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
> >
> > Bob

> Where's "here"?

Meen-a-soh-ta.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > readandpostrosie wrote:
> >> because its a better piece of meat?
> >>

> > Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it looks
> > a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
> > supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
> >
> > Bob

> Where's "here"?

Meen-a-soh-ta.
--

Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:14:29 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >because its a better piece of meat?

> What we need is another Mad Cow scare to bring the prices down
> again. Actually, we don't need a "scare", we just need to hear
> the results of accurate testing (AKA: the "truth").

I think the mad cow scare is what drove the phreakin prices UP!!!
They've only recently become reasonable again. HEB had beautiful
boneless chuck roasts this week for $2.79. Chuck used to be cheaper, but
it got even higher than that for a couple of years.

I cleaned my Hamilton grill and will be marinating and grilling one of
those that I bought tomorrow. ;-d

Or, if it's not raining, I may fire up the outdoor wood grill.....
I have some mesquite to burn. :)

> Does anybody really think the meat supply here in the US is as
> mad-cow free as the USDA and meat lobby want us to believe?

One can only hope!

> It's all politics. Plenty of JKD to go around for everyone.
> They're (USDA and Meat Lobby) just in Containment Mode right now.
>
> -sw

Well, well cooked beef should be safe, just don't eat spinal or brain
tissue.

But, I prefer my beef rare to raw.

We all have to die sometime.........
I'm not going to worry about it.

If I could afford it, I'd eat more Ostrich! That stuff is awesome!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:14:29 GMT, "readandpostrosie"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >because its a better piece of meat?

> What we need is another Mad Cow scare to bring the prices down
> again. Actually, we don't need a "scare", we just need to hear
> the results of accurate testing (AKA: the "truth").

I think the mad cow scare is what drove the phreakin prices UP!!!
They've only recently become reasonable again. HEB had beautiful
boneless chuck roasts this week for $2.79. Chuck used to be cheaper, but
it got even higher than that for a couple of years.

I cleaned my Hamilton grill and will be marinating and grilling one of
those that I bought tomorrow. ;-d

Or, if it's not raining, I may fire up the outdoor wood grill.....
I have some mesquite to burn. :)

> Does anybody really think the meat supply here in the US is as
> mad-cow free as the USDA and meat lobby want us to believe?

One can only hope!

> It's all politics. Plenty of JKD to go around for everyone.
> They're (USDA and Meat Lobby) just in Containment Mode right now.
>
> -sw

Well, well cooked beef should be safe, just don't eat spinal or brain
tissue.

But, I prefer my beef rare to raw.

We all have to die sometime.........
I'm not going to worry about it.

If I could afford it, I'd eat more Ostrich! That stuff is awesome!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >>

>> > Here, Sam's is one of the more expensive places to buy meat, and it
>> > looks
>> > a little better (not much) than what's in the supermarkets. The
>> > supermarkets all sell watered-down Wal-mart meat now.
>> >
>> > Bob

>> Where's "here"?

> Meen-a-soh-ta.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

All your supermarkets sell crappy meat? Notice the word "all". You've tried
all of the ones which are nearby?