The price of beef ??

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Where's "here"?

>>Meen-a-soh-ta.
>>--
>>http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

> All your supermarkets sell crappy meat? Notice the word "all". You've tried
> all of the ones which are nearby?

All of them sell crappy pork and chicken. Even the very good-looking
country ribs I bought a week ago at the last independant supermarket in
town (Silver Lake Foods) were obviously full of water when I cooked them.

I haven't bought any beef in a year or two (except whole briskets and a
couple of pounds of frozen hamburger I got at Aldi to check it out) We
still have some beef left in the freezer from cattle that my FIL raised
and had butchered. When it's gone, it's gone, cuz he's gone. :-(

The last real beef that I bought was a couple of Porterhouse steaks from
Cub Foods. They were expensive but very good; compared to the prices
now they were a bargain. Last time I was at Wal-mart, I looked closely
at the beef and it was "enhanced" with "solution". So all the other
supermarket beef is probably injected (or tumbled), but I don't know
that. There are some small grocery stores in the surrounding towns that
might have good meat; I dunno. There's also a grocery store downtown
near the synagogue that has a reputation for selling good meat. The
butcher shop takes up half the store. I should check it out too.

Maybe I need to buy a half a hog early next winter and cut it up myself.
I can hang it from the rafters in the garage...

Best regards,
Bob

You asking me or Bob?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Where's "here"?

> > Meen-a-soh-ta.

> All your supermarkets sell crappy meat? Notice the word "all". You've tried
> all of the ones which are nearby?

You asking me or Bob?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

In article <[email protected]>,
zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Doug Kanter wrote:

(snippage)

> > All your supermarkets sell crappy meat? Notice the word "all". You've tried
> > all of the ones which are nearby?
> >

> All of them sell crappy pork and chicken. Even the very good-looking
> country ribs I bought a week ago at the last independant supermarket in
> town (Silver Lake Foods) were obviously full of water when I cooked them.

-snip-

> Maybe I need to buy a half a hog early next winter and cut it up
> myself. I can hang it from the rafters in the garage...
> Bob

You telling me there are aren't any independent butcher shops down
there? I've gotten great meat at Von Hanson's (a chain of butcher shops
now, there are so many of them) but the price was wicked. I'm happy
with Cub; I'm not very fussy.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

In article <[email protected]>,
zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

(snippage)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Doug Kanter wrote:

> (snippage)
>

>>>All your supermarkets sell crappy meat? Notice the word "all". You've tried
>>>all of the ones which are nearby?
>>>

>>All of them sell crappy pork and chicken. Even the very good-looking
>>country ribs I bought a week ago at the last independant supermarket in
>>town (Silver Lake Foods) were obviously full of water when I cooked them.
>>

> -snip-
>
>>Maybe I need to buy a half a hog early next winter and cut it up
>>myself. I can hang it from the rafters in the garage...
>>Bob

> You telling me there are aren't any independent butcher shops down
> there? I've gotten great meat at Von Hanson's (a chain of butcher shops
> now, there are so many of them) but the price was wicked. I'm happy
> with Cub; I'm not very fussy.

There are one or two, and they are *really* expensive. When I run out
of good meat from the freezer I'll have to start buying from them when I
need good stuff. Usually the stuff from Cub or Silver Lake Foods is
good enough, but I have to be careful when I cook it to allow for all
the extra water. The only meat I buy at Walmart is whole briskets and
frozen turkeys.

We eat a lot or ground turkey (79¢ a pound at Aldi) and roast turkey.
And whatever cured meat products I can find in the used meat bin at
Silver Lake Foods.

Bob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Doug Kanter wrote:

> (snippage)
>

>>>All your supermarkets sell crappy meat? Notice the word "all". You've tried
>>>all of the ones which are nearby?
>>>

>>All of them sell crappy pork and chicken. Even the very good-looking
>>country ribs I bought a week ago at the last independant supermarket in
>>town (Silver Lake Foods) were obviously full of water when I cooked them.
>>

> -snip-
>
>>Maybe I need to buy a half a hog early next winter and cut it up
>>myself. I can hang it from the rafters in the garage...
>>Bob

> You telling me there are aren't any independent butcher shops down
> there? I've gotten great meat at Von Hanson's (a chain of butcher shops
> now, there are so many of them) but the price was wicked. I'm happy
> with Cub; I'm not very fussy.

There are one or two, and they are *really* expensive. When I run out
of good meat from the freezer I'll have to start buying from them when I
need good stuff. Usually the stuff from Cub or Silver Lake Foods is
good enough, but I have to be careful when I cook it to allow for all
the extra water. The only meat I buy at Walmart is whole briskets and
frozen turkeys.

We eat a lot or ground turkey (79¢ a pound at Aldi) and roast turkey.
And whatever cured meat products I can find in the used meat bin at
Silver Lake Foods.

Bob

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:28:50 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If I could afford it, I'd eat more Ostrich! That stuff is awesome!

Every time I've eaten ostrich, I end up burping and farting
ostrich for days afterwards.

-sw

<[email protected]> wrote:

>If I could afford it, I'd eat more Ostrich! That stuff is awesome!

Every time I've eaten ostrich, I end up burping and farting
ostrich for days afterwards.

-sw

"zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> The package says, "Enhanced with up to 12 percent solution." The solution
> is sodium phosphate, becaues the phosphate allow the meat to absorb lots
> of water. Some of them say something like "deep basted (c)" The brands
> are Farmland and Hormel, and they supply just about all the pork in the
> Midwest now.

And as long as people are dumb enough to buy that ****, the markets will
sell it. I'm fortunate that we still have a few sources of real meat.

Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:28:50 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >If I could afford it, I'd eat more Ostrich! That stuff is awesome!

> Every time I've eaten ostrich, I end up burping and farting
> ostrich for days afterwards.
>
> -sw

Yeesh.

Did you get fresh frozen, fillet or ground, and did you over-cook it?

The FF fillet's from Central Market are some of the finest meat I've
ever had. Ostrich fillet is every bit as good as some of the finest and
most tender beef.

I serve them bloody rare.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It's all politics. Plenty of JKD to go around for everyone.
>>They're (USDA and Meat Lobby) just in Containment Mode right now.

> Well, well cooked beef should be safe, just don't eat spinal or brain
> tissue.

Actually, no. The prions that are responsible for it aren't affected by
cooking, no matter the degree of doneness.

Pastorio

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Meen-a-soh-ta.

>> All your supermarkets sell crappy meat? Notice the word "all". You've
>> tried
>> all of the ones which are nearby?

> You asking me or Bob?
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

You. I asked because it's outrageous that at least one chain or independent
isn't trying to fill the niche left by the dummies who think the public only
wants adulterated meat products. The independents, in particular, are no
longer as "independent" as they used to be. In most cases, they're able to
deal with wholesalers whose buying power (and selection) is greater than
that of the smaller chains. But, we tend not to look closely at those
stores, and sometimes we miss a good thing.

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>It's all politics. Plenty of JKD to go around for everyone.
>>>They're (USDA and Meat Lobby) just in Containment Mode right now.

>> Well, well cooked beef should be safe, just don't eat spinal or brain
>> tissue.

> Actually, no. The prions that are responsible for it aren't affected by
> cooking, no matter the degree of doneness.
>
> Pastorio

It's amazing that after all the publicity, so few people have learned this
from all the news.

Doug Kanter wrote:

> I asked because it's outrageous that at least one chain or independent
> isn't trying to fill the niche left by the dummies who think the public only
> wants adulterated meat products. The independents, in particular, are no
> longer as "independent" as they used to be. In most cases, they're able to
> deal with wholesalers whose buying power (and selection) is greater than
> that of the smaller chains. But, we tend not to look closely at those
> stores, and sometimes we miss a good thing.

Costco. Best meats for a long distance around, including the independents.

Pastorio

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 02:58:58 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Did you get fresh frozen, fillet or ground, and did you over-cook it?

It was pre-frozen.

>The FF fillet's from Central Market are some of the finest meat I've
>ever had. Ostrich fillet is every bit as good as some of the finest and
>most tender beef.

Thanks anyway. I'll pass.

Beef: It's What's For Dinner.

-sw

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I think the mad cow scare is what drove the phreakin prices UP!!!

I think the low carb diets are what brought prices up. Supply and demand.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> What we need is another Mad Cow scare to bring the prices down
> again. Actually, we don't need a "scare", we just need to hear
> the results of accurate testing (AKA: the "truth").

We're in one, only we don't know it because it only comes out when
someone like Japan turns away a shipload of bef because they detected
that we didn't scrape the spinal cord out of the backbones before we
loaded the ship.

Which happened this week.

So Japan is refusing all American beef until we get our **** together.

Which is why prices should be more reasonable, for a little while.

Then they'll go back to being stupid.

BTW, one reason Sam's prices are lower is Sam's doesn't set the regular
price artificially high so that it can run weekly "specials" on the
same thing all the time.

--Blair