The reason why the buck stops with Bush on global warming

MountainPro said:
i agree with all you said but i havent really started out to bash Bush (for a change), i just want the usual apologists who play the predictable China card to realise that the responsibility is indeed with thier top man...first world countries have to lead the way in this issue and Bush is responsible for the first of those first world countries.
Let's be realistic, however. The motorcar has only been in use @ 100 yrs. reaearch is being done in the area of alternate fuels but it is, indeed, "rocket science". Do you not think that anyone is working in this area say at MIT, for example :confused: Anyone would kill for the nobel prize for that discovery. It is worth noting that China, India, & mexico have less stringent regulations in this area compared to the U.S. & that all capitalistic economies are dependent on our ongoing economic robustness which would be negatively affected whilst new technologies were introduced (the whole re-tooling of industry scenario) meanwhile the abovementioned polluters would continue on their merry way.

davidmc said:
Let's be realistic, however. The motorcar has only been in use @ 100 yrs. reaearch is being done in the area of alternate fuels but it is, indeed, "rocket science". Do you not think that anyone is working in this area say at MIT, for example :confused: Anyone would kill for the nobel prize for that discovery. It is worth noting that China, India, & mexico have less stringent regulations in this area compared to the U.S. & that all capitalistic economies are dependent on our ongoing economic robustness which would be negatively affected whilst new technologies were introduced (the whole re-tooling of industry scenario) meanwhile the abovementioned polluters would continue on their merry way.

Two wrongs, don't make a right in this case.
The US has consistently ignored treaties and intiatives to enforce the reduction of CO2 emmissions and greenhouse gases.

Yes, China and India are developing economies and they're beginning to pollute too.
But not to the extent and range of the USA.

All countries need to adopt the lead of Europe where the commitment to reduce greenhouse gases and CO emmissions is in legislation : legislation which is enforced, I might add.

MountainPro said:
on the car issue, its rather shocking but its common to American drivers to think, hmmmm 25mpg, thats great fuel economy. (i have seen such comments on here)..

I got news....its dreadful fuel economy!

Even hybrids are being massively outclassed on fuel ecomony and CO emissions by smaller diesel powered peolpe carriers. Why a 5 litre V8 @ 280 bhp is needed to drive to the Macdonalds drive through 3 blocks away is an utter mystery. Its killing the planet....BUSH needs to educate his people. People listen to Bush for some reason. Once the technology is in place to do that you can then sell it to the rest of the world. You may find that green technology is more profitable than oil.

The only way Bush will budge is if the bottom line is full up with $$$$. Thats the way.
Ummm...the U.K. produces the McLaren supercar :rolleyes: What is its mpg :confused: Safety standards are higher in the U.s. compared to the E.U. that is why all of your vehicles have to be retro-fitted to adhere to our safety standards. Ergo...our cars have to be heavier/somewhat larger.

MountainPro said:
it's the soccer mom, drive through, lazy, ignorant, 'bigger is better' idiot that i would like to bayonet through the neck.
I agree w/ you here. These status-types are tangible evidence of evil. :mad:

MountainPro said:
i am not stereotyping anyone, i presented my own personal experience of Americans at home and abroad.

there are plenty of 'jerks' in Scotland, or ****-holes as we prefer to call them and i know if you so robustly defend the use of SUVs and Bush policy on cover-ups over global warming while on a visit here, you'll be leaving with a rather bad view of Scots, and British in general.
The sale of SUV's, on the whole, have been on a downward trend for over a year now, over here. The market determines what will be built. If the dolt's want a big or a small vehicle, that is what will be produced. Some veiw it as a "rights" issue-one should be able to purchase whatever one wants. This we adopted from scottish/english philosophical thinking :rolleyes: I beleive it is proven that SUV's are not necessary & people are realizing that they can't afford to feed the behemoth's not to mention the car payments.

limerickman said:
Two wrongs, don't make a right in this case.
The US has consistently ignored treaties and intiatives to enforce the reduction of CO2 emmissions and greenhouse gases.

Yes, China and India are developing economies and they're beginning to pollute too.
But not to the extent and range of the USA.

All countries need to adopt the lead of Europe where the commitment to reduce greenhouse gases and CO emmissions is in legislation : legislation which is enforced, I might add.
You blokes have train service everywhere. We have large expanses of wilderness larger than many european countries. This gives you the advantage in implementing these policies, no :confused:

davidmc said:
You blokes have train service everywhere. We have large expanses of wilderness larger than many european countries. This gives you the advantage in implementing these policies, no :confused:

Mainland Europe does have a good rail network.
But my country is an island - and we have a very sparse rail network.

In my country's case, we have to abide by the emmission levels imposed throughout Europe : regardless of whether we have good transport infrastructure or not.

Investment in the rail network therefore is now prioritised.

limerickman said:
Mainland Europe does have a good rail network.
But my country is an island - and we have a very sparse rail network.

In my country's case, we have to abide by the emmission levels imposed throughout Europe : regardless of whether we have good transport infrastructure or not.

Investment in the rail network therefore is now prioritised.
You do have a significant amount of mountain ranges, yes :confused: This makes the venture very expensive.

davidmc said:
I beleive it is proven that SUV's are not necessary & people are realizing that they can't afford to feed the behemoth's not to mention the car payments.
I think SUV's are needed. But most people who drive them don't have any real need for them. As MP pointed out some people do need to drive an SUV. Someone who drives an SUV is not evil. They might have some esteem issues.

davidmc said:
You do have a significant amount of mountain ranges, yes :confused: This makes the venture very expensive.

The point is Dave - that people here in my own country and people in Europe accept that greenhouse emmissions and CO2 emmissions are too high worldwide.
Therefore people in this part of the world accept that behaviour has to be altered in order to reduce CO2/greenhouse gas emmissions.

The eco-system of the planet is under threat unless we all do our bit.

Colorado Ryder said:
I think SUV's are needed. But most people who drive them don't have any real need for them. As MP pointed out some people do need to drive an SUV. Someone who drives an SUV is not evil. They might have some esteem issues.
yes. clarification-URBAN-USE, SINGLE OCCUPANT suvs are the scourge of the planet :)

davidmc said:
yes. clarification-URBAN-USE, SINGLE OCCUPANT suvs are the scourge of the planet :)
Even urban use would be ok if you would see more than 1 or 2 people in it on the road.

Colorado Ryder said:
Even urban use would be ok if you would see more than 1 or 2 people in it on the road.
Its akin to shooting a humming bird w/ a 10 gauge shotgun-"over-kill". However if you are looking at it from a "rights" issue, it does have some merit.

MountainPro said:
...but she just laughed saying that she loves her Landrover....£65 grand it cost too...fukcing ridiculous.
Another case of having more money than brains.