The Recovery Sock

Deafwolf

Jun 21, 2010
I just got my first pair of compression socks (Real ones). They are made by a vendor titled, The Recovery Sock. There are many riders and some documentation that supports that wearing compression socks aids in recovery of the lower extremities after a hard ride. So I have mine on now in preparation for my crit tomorrow.

If you have ever tried compression socks, share with me your experiences.

They basically work upon the concept of assisting with venous return. Blood that circulates back up the legs is pumped more from the muscles of the legs rather than the heart. An extensive series of one-way valves prevent the back flow of this blood.

So adding onto the concept here, they are supposed to assist with oxygenation of tissues, removal of carbon dioxide, and other wastes and by-products including (I think) lactic acid (which converts back to glucose in the liver).

Deafwolf said:
They basically work upon the concept of assisting with venous return. Blood that circulates back up the legs is pumped more from the muscles of the legs rather than the heart. An extensive series of one-way valves prevent the back flow of this blood.

So adding onto the concept here, they are supposed to assist with oxygenation of tissues, removal of carbon dioxide, and other wastes and by-products including (I think) lactic acid (which converts back to glucose in the liver).

I once had my legs compressed by 500 lbs of motorcycle and fuel, but that didn't seem to help with my recovery at all. In fact, I think that compression was the reason why I needed a recovery.

Compression garments certainly have marketing value right now. As per usual the marketing goes far, in its claims, beyond what science says.

We got some demo socks from one of our vendors, so I tried them at work after leading our three-hour group ride. I had a gout attack before the day was over.

Next time I try them it will be during a period I can truly recover, as in putting my feet up and relaxing. I was definitely not happy using them when I had to be on my feet.

oldbobcat said:
We got some demo socks from one of our vendors, so I tried them at work after leading our three-hour group ride. I had a gout attack before the day was over.

Wow, interesting. Gout is crystals formation in the joints. There is special medication for controlling that. I have no idea if compression socks are contra indicated with gout patients. That is worth followup. I'll ask one of the doctors I work with.

Well, the article asserts that compression constricts the veins, causing increased arterial pressure. It's not difficult to infer that constriction could inhibit dissolution of uric acid in the capillaries and veins. If the blood is perfectly fluid, then compression could work, but with solids in the blood the result could be like trying to pass corncobs.

oldbobcat said:
Next time I try them it will be during a period I can truly recover, as in putting my feet up and relaxing.

Putting your legs up, over a pillow or two for example, helps. Anyway this is something you would after the race, not before. Or after a hard training day during the week. Don´t forget stretching and legs´ massage - if possible - first.

vspa said:
Or after a hard training day during the week. Don´t forget stretching and legs´ massage - if possible - first.

The group rides are not grueling, so recovery isn't much of an issue. It can't be, because the routine is shower, lunch, and get to work. I'll use the socks after my own conditioning rides.