The Starbucks in Sausalito is no longer that scary-sounding.

On Jun 7, 8:58 pm, Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
> > On Jun 7, 3:32 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> >>http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/columnone/la-na-opencarry7-20...

> > Is this acceptable?

> No. Not even for Trdina. Apaling!

They're idiots for a bunch of reasons but why is it appalling? Any
criminal isn't going to be carrying in plain sight until they're going
to use it for something. Once again the middle ground is somewhere
between these idiots and Massachusetts.
A few years ago here after they changed the laws a couple of local
police chiefs were areesting hunters and confiscati ng their weapons
as they carried them "on a public way" when they got out of their cars
and stepped onto the pavement to lock them in their trunks as required
to leave the car. By law any weapon has to be in a locked case if you
are near a public way. Makes it tough to hunt pheasants and such out
on the dirt farm roads, which are almost all public ways here.
These are the same idiots who's last set of laws made a criminal of
the Speaker of the Mass. House for the Revolutionary War musket that
hangs in the State house. Under his latest idiocy, he was responsible
for it being improperly secured. The Gun Owners Action League asked
the A.G. to enforce the law, and they cited him. The next day the
exempted themselves from the law.
That seems to be pretty common among the anti-gun elites. One of
them, Rosie I think, was commenting that people don't need guns they
can just hire bodyguards. Both Fienstein and Boxer have concealed
carry, personal protection permits, that you can't get. They say it's
because they are more important than you.
Plenty of idiots to go around on this including at the NRA.
Bill C

On Jun 7, 6:38 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 3:32 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ...but if anyone offers to meet you at the the Starbucks in Westminster,
> > CO, well, don't bring a knife:

> >http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/columnone/la-na-opencarry7-20...
> > n07,0,2510183.story?page=1

> Is this acceptable?

I hope Queeksdraw there knows the hammer is supposed to be resting on
an open chamber.

Security snap loop, on!

Barrel, long!

Odds of successfully using that hogleg to defend yourself against a
mugger*, pretty low!

*new gang initiation-- kill someone with their own gun. Much more
macho than a pansy-ass drive-by, any day! --D-y

On Jun 8, 9:24 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 6:38 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 7, 3:32 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > ...but if anyone offers to meet you at the the Starbucks in Westminster,
> > > CO, well, don't bring a knife:

> > >http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/columnone/la-na-opencarry7-20....
> > > n07,0,2510183.story?page=1

> > Is this acceptable?

> I hope Queeksdraw there knows the hammer is supposed to be resting on
> an open chamber.
>
> Security snap loop, on!
>
> Barrel, long!
>
> Odds of successfully using that hogleg to defend yourself against a
> mugger*, pretty low!
>
> *new gang initiation-- kill someone with their own gun. Much more
> macho than a pansy-ass drive-by, any day!  --D-y

You're thinking about practical considerations. I don't
get the impression practicality is really No. 1 here.
Even in the Wild West, didn't some saloons say "check
your weapons at the door"?

I live in Arizona, which is a concealed-carry state.
A friend of mine's out-of-state brother-in-law is, as he said,
"from the hood," and one of his survival skills is noting
unusual bulges. He visited and went to the supermarket
with his sister, and kept nudging her and saying, "Hey,
that guy's packing!" I guess even in the hood, they don't
all carry in the supermarket.

I'm still hopeful that the state congerzmen won't overturn
our weapon ban on campus. Undergraduates + guns
doesn't strike me as a good combo. Sure, professors who
packed would probably have to deal with fewer arguments
from grade-grubbing premeds, but I'll take that tradeoff.

Finally, though, and obviously you need open-carry, not
concealed for this, there are claims that riding bike with
heat cuts down on the hassles from cagers. And hey,
Cabela's now has a carbon fiber holster.

Ben

> On Jun 8, 9:24 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Is this acceptable?

> > I hope Queeksdraw there knows the hammer is supposed to be resting on
> > an open chamber.
> >
> > Security snap loop, on!
> >
> > Barrel, long!
> >
> > Odds of successfully using that hogleg to defend yourself against a
> > mugger*, pretty low!
> >
> > *new gang initiation-- kill someone with their own gun. Much more
> > macho than a pansy-ass drive-by, any day!  --D-y

> You're thinking about practical considerations. I don't
> get the impression practicality is really No. 1 here.
> Even in the Wild West, didn't some saloons say "check
> your weapons at the door"?

I'd bet the people who're in favor of open carry have a different opinion in this
situation:

http://tinyurl.com/4y9j4v

> I live in Arizona, which is a concealed-carry state.
> A friend of mine's out-of-state brother-in-law is, as he said,
> "from the hood," and one of his survival skills is noting
> unusual bulges. He visited and went to the supermarket
> with his sister, and kept nudging her and saying, "Hey,
> that guy's packing!" I guess even in the hood, they don't
> all carry in the supermarket.
>
> I'm still hopeful that the state congerzmen won't overturn
> our weapon ban on campus. Undergraduates + guns
> doesn't strike me as a good combo. Sure, professors who
> packed would probably have to deal with fewer arguments
> from grade-grubbing premeds, but I'll take that tradeoff.

After the second big school shooting a few months ago (Northern Illinois
University), a bunch of the all guns, all the time types got it into their heads to
start saying that everyone at those schools should be *required* to carry at all
times to prevent those kinds of things from happening. I thought about the case of
Amadou Diallo - the police who shot him were trained and required to go to the range
and show some level of proficiency, yet they only got 19 hits out of 41 shots (yes,
"only" was more than enough to do the job). Can you imagine the results of a bunch of
people who aren't trained to the (alleged) levels of proficiency of the cops blasting
away in a situation like the Virginia Tech or Northern Illinois University?

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Jun 9, 2:55 am, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

>    After the second big school shooting a few months ago (Northern Illinois
> University), a bunch of the all guns, all the time types got it into theirheads to
> start saying that everyone at those schools should be *required* to carry at all
> times to prevent those kinds of things from happening. I thought about thecase of
> Amadou Diallo - the police who shot him were trained and required to go tothe range
> and show some level of proficiency, yet they only got 19 hits out of 41 shots (yes,
> "only" was more than enough to do the job). Can you imagine the results ofa bunch of
> people who aren't trained to the (alleged) levels of proficiency of the cops blasting
> away in a situation like the Virginia Tech or Northern Illinois University?
>
> --
>                               tanx,
>                                Howard
>
>                    The bloody pubs are bloody dull
>                    The bloody clubs are bloody full
>                    Of bloody girls and bloody guys
>                    With bloody murder in their eyes
>
>                      remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?- Hide quoted text -

Let's face it Howard cops are about the worst people to be running
around with guns. Take the bad attitude, and then combine that with a
total lack of will to learn or practice, "'cause I already know my
****!" and they are a disaster looking for a place to happen. It's not
all of them, but a ton. Especially in urbanized areas where firearms
aren't part of everyday life, and finding somewhere to shoot is a
hassle. They do qualification once a year, if they show for it, and
thats about it.
The closest range here, is 10 minutes away. I won't use it. It's the
local club for all the cops. There's more drinking than shooting
happening there, despite the rules banning alcohol. "Hey, we are the
law, so STFU!". It's expensive, unless you are a cop, and filled with
the worst of the bunch so I drive about an hour out into the hills to
a small town range that's more likely to have a family, or a class for
kids going on, or be empty.
All that aside it's ridiculous to deny people the right to defend
themselves. For years Mass. law said that if someone breaks into your
house, you HAVE TO escape, no other options, and they did criminalise
the people living there. You were required to abandon your property
under penalty of the State. That's been changes to be more reasonable
now, but you are still more likely to face charges, or a lawsuit here,
than the intruder if you don't abandon your property to them.
mandatory cary is, what it plainly is, an extremist political ploy,
and insane in reality.
People don't want to face the issue that it's society that's the
problem, not the tools. Vt. has almost no violent crime/firearm crime
and has very libertatian laws. Most places getting a pistol, legally,
is a lot tougher than getting booze/drugs and a car, and the stats
show the results from it.
Now lots of places are into knife bans, nothing over 3 inches out on
the street. OK, how do I get my new kitchen set home without breaking
the law, or being harrassed by some ***** cop with a problem? We gonna
allow for, no cause, random searches to try and disarm the criminals,
and those folks who haven't registered their stuff?
Make the screening, complete, make folks complete a good training
course, make them retest and do refresher training if you want, then
let the law abiding folks have what the criminals already do.
All these laws do is hammer law abiding folks, criminals by
definition dont obey them. Then due to overcrowding the mandatory
firearms offenses get plea-bargained away, if they aren't actually
used on someone, to keep the jail space open.
More freedom for responsible people is always a good thing.
Bill C

On Jun 9, 2:55 am, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,

>    I'd bet the people who're in favor of open carry have a different opinion in this
> situation:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4y9j4v

My opinion is that you're probably right, make it a pic of an anti-
government, all white militia and they would have a different opinion
too, for the most part is my guess. There'd be the few wingnut
libertarians arguing that the right should be abridged in any way,
even after murder convictions, etc...though.

<947c24be-76e5-46ba-a7c1-d2f66ba12c87@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

> On Jun 7, 6:38 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jun 7, 3:32 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > ...but if anyone offers to meet you at the the Starbucks in Westminster,
> > > CO, well, don't bring a knife:

> > >http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/columnone/la-na-opencarry7-20...
> > > n07,0,2510183.story?page=1

> > Is this acceptable?

> I hope Queeksdraw there knows the hammer is supposed to be resting on
> an open chamber.

Naw. Rest the hammer between two chambers if you think it matters.

--
Michael Press

On Jun 9, 11:32 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <947c24be-76e5-46ba-a7c1-d2f66ba12...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
>
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Is this acceptable?

> > I hope Queeksdraw there knows the hammer is supposed to be resting on
> > an open chamber.

> Naw. Rest the hammer between two chambers if you think it matters.
>
> --
> Michael Press

Hell yeah. Even "grandma gun nut" knows safety is for wusses:

"Girl shoots herself with grandma's gun at SC store

COLUMBIA, S.C. - A 4-year-old girl shot herself in the chest Monday
after snatching her grandmother's handgun from the woman's purse while
riding in a shopping cart at a Sam's Club store, authorities said.

Concealed weapons permit holders in South Carolina are not allowed to
carry weapons into buildings that prohibit it, or into government
buildings, schools and daycare facilities, among other places. The
Sam's Club store does not have a sign prohibiting guns inside."

It amazes me how often these guns people have "fer safety, cuz uv all
the nuts out there wif gunz" end up shooting family members.
-Paul

Paul G. wrote:
> Hell yeah. Even "grandma gun nut" knows safety is for wusses:
>
> "Girl shoots herself with grandma's gun at SC store
>
> COLUMBIA, S.C. - A 4-year-old girl shot herself in the chest Monday after
> snatching her grandmother's handgun from the woman's purse while riding in
> a shopping cart at a Sam's Club store, authorities said.

At least she didn't have an Uzi in her purse.

On Jun 9, 10:31 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:

> It amazes me how often these guns people have "fer safety, cuz uv all
> the nuts out there wif gunz" end up shooting family members.
> -Paul- Hide quoted text -

It's not as often as they are used in self defense, but most of this
**** is totally criminal. Grandam needs to be tried for reckless
endangerment of a child, at a minimum, and this **** about how she
feels bad, and seeing her kid wounded is enough punishment, isn't.
It's really sad that common sense is so uncommon because freedoms and
responsibilty go together and morons like this don't help the cause.
Rant on for a second.
NOTE You got kids keeps the **** seriously locked up, with the ammo
locked seperately, or under your direct, immediate, continuous
control, and then lock the **** up when you aren't using it.
If you live in a low/moderate crime area and have kids playing Rambo
and leaving the **** "stashed" around the house for "Fast access" is
gonna get your kid, or other kids killed.
Lock the **** up. They make shrinks to treat unfounded fear/anxiety
disorders, not guns. Go see one.
Hint, do the same things with the keys to the safes, and locks. Use a
combo lock box for the safe keys so nothing is laying around. Weld the
emergency keyhole shut, boxes are cheap compared to lives. Makes it
almost impossible to pick, and if the box goes missing you KNOW
something is up. Keep a spare key, either at the bank, or someone
elses house.
Just another note from experience; If you do things this way and the
cops have to deal with something at your house they won't freak out
over the firearms. They will ask if there are any in the house, and
where they are, and how they are stored, guaranteed.
Bill C

On Jun 10, 4:57 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 10:31 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > It amazes me how often these guns people have "fer safety, cuz uv all
> > the nuts out there wif gunz" end up shooting family members.
> > -Paul- Hide quoted text -

> It's not as often as they are used in self defense

I think that wildly improbable. Most murders are committed by someone
the victim knows. Google "murder suicide" or "shoots wife" and see how
many hits you get.
-Paul

On Jun 9, 1:32 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <947c24be-76e5-46ba-a7c1-d2f66ba12...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Is this acceptable?

> > I hope Queeksdraw there knows the hammer is supposed to be resting on
> > an open chamber.

> Naw. Rest the hammer between two chambers if you think it matters.

Massad Ayoob, from <http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/
ayoob103.html>

(quoting):
Today, of course, we have modern revolvers with frontier styling that
can be fully loaded with a live round under the hammer, in perfect
safety. This is because an updated mechanism, usually involving a
transfer bar, requires a pull of the trigger to fire the gun.

However, most of us in the “gun biz” still carry all our single action
revolvers with empty chambers under the hammers and recommend that our
readers, students, and customers do the same. The reason is simple: A
habit you get into with one gun will transfer to another one. If you
get into the habit of carrying your modern Ruger New Model single
action with a round under the firing pin, you’ll find yourself doing
the same if the day comes that you carry an old Colt Single Action
Army. It’s safe with the new style Ruger. It’s NOT safe with the old
style Ruger or the Single Action Army. If you simply keep the chamber
under the hammer empty with all single action revolvers, you’ve
covered all the bases. (end quote)

Not being "up" on the current state, etc. etc., but being aware this
(hammer over empty chamber) was still a favored method among "pros", I
went and looked. There's info there IRT older rifles that would
discharge even when on half-**** "safe" when dropped or struck.
And reference to "country people" who use this safety method generally
on "repeaters". If there isn't a round in the chamber, the way I was
taught, the gun can't fire except by deliberate manipulation meant to
cause discharge.

<http://www.firearmsid.com/A_FirearmFunction.htm> shows different
safeties. Excellent. And closer to true fail-safe if the round under
the hammer is empty. Belt and suspenders, thanks. And hey, if five (or
four) shots don't get the job done at Starbucks...

Queeksdraw's problem is still gonna be getting that hogleg out and
pointed before something bad happens to him, extrapolating the Dirty
Harry fantasy to a real-world conclusion. No hot dogs at Tarbucks,
either. --D-y

On Jun 10, 1:04 am, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul G. wrote:
> > Hell yeah. Even "grandma gun nut" knows safety is for wusses:

> > "Girl shoots herself with grandma's gun at SC store

> > COLUMBIA, S.C. - A 4-year-old girl shot herself in the chest Monday after
> > snatching her grandmother's handgun from the woman's purse while riding in
> > a shopping cart at a Sam's Club store, authorities said.

> At least she didn't have an Uzi in her purse.

Grandma strikes me as more of a Mac-10 type, someone who can
appreciate a made-in-America firearm with a higher rate of fire and
lower accuracy, which fires the good old fashioned .45ACP. But the
main problem with either the Uzi or Mac-10 is they are a bit heavy for
your 4 year old grandchild to wield while exercising her 2nd Amendment
rights.
-Paul

On Jun 10, 8:12 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> (quoting):
> Today, of course, we have modern revolvers with frontier styling that
> can be fully loaded with a live round under the hammer, in perfect
> safety. This is because an updated mechanism, usually involving a
> transfer bar, requires a pull of the trigger to fire the gun.

All good, but if you've got a loose nut -or a loose cannon- BLAM!
Attempting to foolproof guns underestimates the creativity of fools:

Pilot's gun blasted small hole through cockpit wall of US Airways
plane

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Photos show that a shot fired from a US Airways
pilot's pistol blasted a small hole through the cockpit wall of a
plane that landed in North Carolina. The photos obtained today by The
Associated Press show a small entry hole in the lower side of the
cockpit wall and a small exit hole on the exterior below the cockpit
window. Airline officials have said the accidental discharge Saturday
during Flight 1536 from Denver to Charlotte did not endanger the 124
passengers plus crew on board.

The gun went off as the airline was on its landing approach in North
Carolina. It is the first time a pilot's weapon has been fired on a
plane under a program created after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist
attacks to allow pilots and others to use a firearm to defend against
any act of air piracy or criminal violence, he said.
***

I love that line about the accidental discharge not endangering anyone
on the plane.
-Paul

On Jun 10, 12:16 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 8:12 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > (quoting):
> > Today, of course, we have modern revolvers with frontier styling that
> > can be fully loaded with a live round under the hammer, in perfect
> > safety. This is because an updated mechanism, usually involving a
> > transfer bar, requires a pull of the trigger to fire the gun.

> All good, but if you've got a loose nut -or a loose cannon- BLAM!
> Attempting to foolproof guns underestimates the creativity of fools:

Well, yeah, but putting the hammer down between cylinders in order to
carry all five or six shots into Starbucks, carried in a slow-draw
holster, plus unneeded barrel length for LuckyTodayPunk work seems
like heading in the wrong direction.

In my brief excursion, I found three references to old hands with no
(checking the firing chamber by sight and feel being the most popular)
and had UD's.

My dad was such a hardass that you didn't point a _cased_ gun at
anything you didn't want to kill. I bet I could find accounts of cased
guns discharging with not much effort.

He also showed me how easy it was to miss a round in the chamber by
seeing what you wanted to see instead of what was really there. "You
stick your finger in there!!!". Of course, that won't necessarily find
the 20 ga. shotgun shell mistakenly loaded into the 12 ga. barrel.

Not foolproof, doing the best we can.

I think Mythbusters busted the "one bullet hole brings down the
airliner" myth. So, Capt. Sureshot's aim would have needed improvement
in order to pose a danger to life and limb, but that often works out
in real life, too. --D-y

On Jun 10, 1:16 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 8:12 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > (quoting):
> > Today, of course, we have modern revolvers with frontier styling that
> > can be fully loaded with a live round under the hammer, in perfect
> > safety. This is because an updated mechanism, usually involving a
> > transfer bar, requires a pull of the trigger to fire the gun.

> All good, but if you've got a loose nut -or a loose cannon- BLAM!
> Attempting to foolproof guns underestimates the creativity of fools:
>
> Pilot's gun blasted small hole through cockpit wall of US Airways
> plane
>
> CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Photos show that a shot fired from a US Airways
> pilot's pistol blasted a small hole through the cockpit wall of a
> plane that landed in North Carolina. The photos obtained today by The
> Associated Press show a small entry hole in the lower side of the
> cockpit wall and a small exit hole on the exterior below the cockpit
> window. Airline officials have said the accidental discharge Saturday
> during Flight 1536 from Denver to Charlotte did not endanger the 124
> passengers plus crew on board.
>
> The gun went off as the airline was on its landing approach in North
> Carolina. It is the first time a pilot's weapon has been fired on a
> plane under a program created after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist
> attacks to allow pilots and others to use a firearm to defend against
> any act of air piracy or criminal violence, he said.
> ***
>
> I love that line about the accidental discharge not endangering anyone
> on the plane.
> -Paul

So you are on the ban cars, and alcohol bandwagon?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/drving.htm

Occurrence and Consequences

During 2005, 16,885 people in the U.S. died in alcohol-related motor
vehicle crashes, representing 39% of all traffic-related deaths (NHTSA
2006).

In 2005, nearly 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under
the influence of alcohol or narcotics (Department of Justice 2005).
That’s less than one percent of the 159 million self-reported episodes
of alcohol–impaired driving among U.S. adults each year (Quinlan et
al. 2005).

Drugs other than alcohol (e.g., marijuana and cocaine) are involved in
about 18% of motor vehicle driver deaths. These other drugs are
generally used in combination with alcohol (Jones et al. 2003).

More than half of the 414 child passengers ages 14 and younger who
died in alcohol-related crashes during 2005 were riding with the
drinking driver (NHTSA 2006).

In 2005, 48 children age 14 years and younger who were killed as
pedestrians or pedalcyclists were struck by impaired drivers (NHTSA
2006).

Here's some firearms stuff:
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/frmdth.htm

Number of firearm deaths Percent of all firearm deaths
All Unintent-ional Suicide Homicide Unde-termined Unintent-
ional Suicide Homicides Other
All ages
1991 38,317 1,441 18,526 17,986 364 4 48 47 1
1992 37,776 1,409 18,169 17,790 408 4 48 47 1
1993 39,595 1,521 18,940 18,571 563 4 48 47 1
1994 38,505 1,356 18,765 17,866 518 4 49 46 1
1995 35,957 1,225 18,503 15,835 394 3 51 44 1
1996 34,040 1,134 18,166 14,327 413 3 53 42 1
1997 32,436 981 17,566 13,522 367 3 54 42 1
1998 30,708 866 17,424 12,102 316 3 57 39 1
1999 28,874 824 16,599 10,828 324 3 57 38 1
2000 28,663 776 16,586 11,071 230 3 58 39 1
2001 29,573 802 16,869 11,671 231 3 57 39 1

For 2001 there were a total of 802 unintentional deaths by firearm.
That doesn't match the hysteria very well, does it?

Now here's some general stuff from 2005:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/acc-inj.htm

Mortality

All unintentional injury deaths

Number of deaths: 117, 809

Deaths per 100,000 population: 39.7

Cause of death rank: 5

Unintentional fall deaths

Number of deaths: 19, 656

Deaths per 100,000 population: 6.6

Unintentional poisoning deaths

Number of deaths: 23,618

Deaths per 100,000 population: 8.0

Motor vehicle traffic deaths

Number of deaths: 45,343

Deaths per 100,000 population: 15.3

Yep, call it 900 if you like, out of roughly 117,000 deaths. That's
definitely a good reason to strip people of their Constitutional
rights and freedoms! Paging George Bush!

I failed to phrase that clearly, what I meant was that the accidental/
stupid **** like this was much less than self defense use, which
almost never gets reported outside of a few newspapers, and the NRA.
The level of ignorance, and/or bias from most news agencies is
unbelievable at best.
Firearms are used in aprox. 68% of murders, that leaves roughly 1/3
by other means. We gonna control those?
Taking a look at this table for all violent crimes:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/wuvc01.pdf
Table 2. Violent crime, by type of weapon, 1993-2001

65.9% of non-lethal violent crime didn't have a "weapon" involved.

I agree with D-y by the way on the hammer on an empty chamber for a
revolver, but that's just me. I also carry a semi auto with the slide
closed on an empty chamber, and have to physically rack the slide, by
hand, before it will load a round from the magazine to fire. Any time
you are going to need it, you have plenty of time to do either before
having to fire. The very first rule of safety, or self defense is
situational awareness. Second rule is to de-escalate/defuse the
situation any way posiible, usually by getting the hell out of there.
Like anything else assholes do stupid ****. Exhibit A is that little
ride incident we all saw, or the nutjob with the knife in Tokyo, and
have you seen the "detergent" suicides bit.

http://tinyurl.com/6yspry

Rash of 50 detergent suicides in Japan; chemicals could hurt
bystanders
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 11:45 AM

TOKYO - At least four people killed themselves Friday by inhaling
fumes from a detergent mixed with other chemicals amid a wave of
similar suicides that has reportedly claimed about 50 lives this month
in Japan.

Lots of links to good info here:
http://www.foxven.com/firearms.html#US

Offenders

According to the 1997 Survey of State Prison Inmates, among those
possessing a gun, the source of the gun was from -

a flea market or gun show for fewer than 2%
a retail store or pawnshop for about 12%
family, friends, a street buy, or an illegal source for 80%

Figure that the vasy majority of that 80% were illegal transfers/
actions to get the weapon to the killer.
Once again criminals don't obey the law.

Making it about the tools allows us not to deal with the real issue
which is society. Here's some stats that tell a real story:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/wuvc01.pdf

The vast majority of victims and criminals in these cases are poor
households, minority or otherwise. What a shock.
Then there are the assholes who use this data to demonize poor
minorities. The stats are accurate, but let's talk about why they are
what they are.
How about slavery, followed by apartheid, bad schools, if any all
through, massive discrimination, shitty living conditions, and on and
on.
I'm sure that JT could do a better job with this rant since he's
working to fix this garbage and isn't in it for photo ops, and PR:

http://www.synergos.org/

Paul I'm sure that you and I would more than agree that the first and
biggest problem is to, in reality not BS, give ALL people a real
chance to succeed, and make them believe it's real after all the BS
they've been fed and promised in the past, that was just that.
There was an interesting local piece here on Bill Cosby and some kids
he's helping, and how reality and culture play into success, or the
difficult road disadvantaged people have to travel to get there:

http://www.masslive.com/republican/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-2/121299570937790.xml&coll=1

What we need isn't propaganda, spin, PC BS, or avoiding reality so as
not to offend anyone. We need to talk about these issues, as they are,
nasty **** and all to even begin to get a handle on dealing with it.
If you can't even discuss, and define the problem, then how the hell
are you going to start solving it?

Bill C

On Jun 10, 11:46 am, Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

> So you are on the ban cars, and alcohol bandwagon?

No. I like guns and booze. I just don't like gun nuts and drunk
drivers.
-Paul