Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

The Thread about Nothing....

Started by Hitchy · · Last activity · 81171 posts · 3,053,582 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
29 July 2006
Last activity
6 June 2025
Original author
Hitchy
Posts
81171
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,053,582
Views / 30 days
0
Topics
Crit racingTrack cyclingFTPHydrationIndoor trainersVO2 maxCarbon wheelsCranksetsBib shorts and chamoisCyclocrossDisc brakesPunctures and flatsTime trialsWorldTour teamsCarbon framesClimbingElectronic shiftingRace licensingRear derailleursSteel framesTaper and peakingWet weather gearClassics racingAluminium framesApps and softwareChain lube and cleaningConcussion and head injuryFoot pain while cyclingGran fondosGroup ridingNutritionRace-day nutritionReach and stackRim brakesRim depth and aeroSaddle soresTitanium framesTorque wrenchesTubeless tyresTyre pressureArm and leg warmersBamboo framesBike fitBikepackingBrake padsCantilever and V-brakesCleat positionCycling clothingCycling shoesDerailleur hangersDowntube shiftersE-bikesFat bikingFrame geometryFront derailleursGear indexingGiantGiro d’ItaliaHand and wrist painInner tubesNormalized powerNumbness and nerve issuesPower-to-weight ratioRim tape and valvesRoute planningSaddle heightShort cranksSingle-speed and fixed-gearSportive and fondo pacingStem lengthStrava segmentsTeam tacticsTraining for older ridersTubular tyresWheel weight vs aeroZone 2 trainingBike cleaningWheel buildingAchilles and tendon issuesAero positionAnti-doping in cyclingAsthma and cyclingBase trainingBelt drive systemsBianchiBike fit for back issuesBike lightsBMCBolt torque specsBottom bracket creakBottom bracketsBottom bracket standardsBreakaway tacticsBrooks saddlesBuying a used bikeCable routingCampagnoloCarbon rim brake trackCassettes and freewheelsCervéloChain lengthChainringsChain wearCoaster brakesCold and heat therapyCommutingContact pointsCrank arm lengthCustom frame buildingCycling and ageCycling and heart healthCycling capsCycling computersCycling jerseysCycling World ChampionshipsDomestiquesElectronic shifting firmwareERG modeFeltFixing a punctureFocusFolding bikesFrame cracksFrame paint and decalsFrame protection tapeFrame stiffnessFriction shiftingGeneral-classification ridersGlovesGravelGravel racingHandlebar widthHeadset serviceHeadtube standardsHeart rate trainingHelmetsHome workshop setupHub and axle standardsHub serviceHydraulic brake bleedingIndoor cyclingInternal gear hubsKids' cycling gearKnee painLocal club racingNational championshipsNight ridingOlympic cyclingPara-cyclingPedal choicePinarelloProfessional team equipmentRecumbent cyclingReplacing shift cablesReturning after a long breakReynolds and Columbus tubingRidleyRim brake pad compoundRoad racing tacticsSaddle choiceScottSeatpost complianceSeized partsShifter cable tensionShoulder and collarbone injuriesSmart trainersSpecializedSpoke countSpoke tensionStage racingStep-through bikesSupplementsSweet spot trainingThreshold trainingTouringTraining loadTrekTyre choiceTyre sidewall damageUCI rankings and pointsUrban ridingVelomobilesVintage component identificationVintage lugged framesVuelta a EspañaWheel bearing serviceWheel truingWide tyresWinter ridingWomen's professional racingYetiZwift and virtual ridingBody compositionGrand ToursTraining with powerWeight managementCadel EvansLance ArmstrongEddy MerckxBernard HinaultBradley WigginsChris FroomeGreg LeMondMiguel IndurainRichie PorteTom BoonenAlberto ContadorAlejandro ValverdeFabian CancellaraFausto CoppiGeraint ThomasJan UllrichMarco PantaniMarianne VosMark CavendishMathieu van der PoelPeter SaganPrimož RogličRemco EvenepoelTadej PogačarVincenzo NibaliWout van Aert

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 70081–70100 of 81171
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Helmet Hair said:

    Isn't that principle what led to the Steve Bauer lay back roubaix bike? Didnt work then.....

    Nah, the odd idea by the guy on the other forum is a bit different, as far as I can tell.

    Classic would remember the Bauer story better than me, but I think his idea was mostly to use the "backed" saddle to push against, obviously a bit like a leg-press. Also, if he was exerting force across the top of the stroke (and I don't know if he did), being somewhat laid-back, he'd still be using a regular pushing movement (hip and knee extension).

    I think the guy on the Cycling News forum talks about some weird knee extension thing, possibly combined with a hip thrusting/rooting movement. I dunno. I struggle to picture what he says. In fact, to be fair, I shouldn't bag it too much coz I don't understand what he's saying.,
    He also claims that Anquetil did something similar.

    If you've got 6 months to waste, he's on here 😄
    forum.cyclingnews.comshowthread.php

    Quoted post said:

    coapman: "arm muscles are used in combination with other muscles to increase overall power ..... My objective was not only to be able to use the arms in the same way as the track pursuit rider uses each arm to accelerate from the starting line, but to be able to do this while in a seated racing drops position. If you attempt this with the natural pedalling style, you will only pull yourself out of the saddle, so maximal force had to be applied in a different direction, and this is how the need for a forward force arose. It only took a week to find that force. This more powerful forward/downward force and use of arms resulted in the dead spot sector being replaced with maximal crank torque and the elimination of all lower back stress......

    Quoted post said:

    My original objective was to pedal in such a way that enabled me to make maximal use of arm muscles and not only was I successful, I solved the mystery of Anquetil's pedalling in the process.

    Quoted post said:
  2. They're called recumbents, and you need to have a beard to ride one...

  3. That's alright nev. He doesn't understand what he's saying either.

    The only thing Anquetil was pulling what's lots of hot women

  4. bbp said:

    Hmm. Dunno.I used to have a verysteepseattube on the 753 bike. I liked it. It gave me awesome quads.
    I'm heaps more laid back on the Merckx, which aids longevity in the saddle. It's more glutes. More blurter pressure too but. Don't like that <right now, even if I would in the best of all possible worlds>.
    Might go for friction shifting on the old steel biddy over more modern methods right now.

    And my blurter's ruined again. I wasn't kidding. That was just plain too much work too soon. I farking hope the [censored] calms down again now I've got that hellish drainage job finished. Faaaark. We'll see.


    I was running friction down tube levers and a 11 speed cassette on my Evolution. I reckon it shifted better that way then it used to when it was indexed 8 speed.

  5. 531Aussie said:

    This is one of my favourite cycling photos.

    [IMG]mosercycles.com001bd9d9.jpg[/IMG]

    Image in The Thread about Nothing....

  6. steve said:

    He's been consistent with that argument over the years.


    Mr Crowley...

  7. bbp said:

    And it's not like I've got any longevity in the saddle these days. It's just been very short rides to the pub in the rain lately, hence that horrible drivetrain photo. I wouldn't have done that to the poor dear if I was matchfit.
    OK. Shift the saddle forward and put a longer stem on. For now.


    You ride that bike to the pub? Fark...

  8. Best race winning soft [censored] attack ever:

    1987 Amstel Gold.

  9. All them Dutch cnuts working over Elliott because they knew he would smash them in the sprint.

  10. swampy1970 said:

    Best race winning soft [censored] attack ever:

    1987 Amstel Gold.

    Ha, I wish I knew what they were saying. There's a couple of good examples of "back in my day" upward tilted saddles there.

  11. Hey Lammie... check out who's in Chappie...
    [media]

    ]

  12. swampy1970 said:

    Image in The Thread about Nothing....


    Ok, this photo is right up there with the one of Moser. Being in colour helsp. Ha.

    A couple of years ago, I posted it on a forum when some young cool kids were justifying the massive bar drop of guys like Ryder Hesjedal. One of them made a half-decent point that the "old" position results in more lower back flexion, but now I'm not so sure it was a good point.
    Eh, whatever. If the kids' necks can handle having the bars so low (not to mention more weight on the hands, and straighter arms potentially affecting the shoulders and upper back) then good luck to them. Ha.

  13. cyclingweekly.co.ukthe day elliott was worked over by the dutch at amstel gold 96818

  14. paulambry said:

    Hey Lammie... check out who's in Chappie...


    Yolandi [censored] Visser!

    Image in The Thread about Nothing....

  15. swampy1970 said:

    You ride that bike to the pub? Fark...

    That's what I was thinking, too. :p

    I don't think I've ever ridden to a pub, but I've got a crappy Tange 4 bike (Bennett) for that if I did. It's got [censored], white Sugino cranks, SR bars and stem, down-tube shifters, my last 7-speed Maillard screw-on cluster, and black Araya rims with 36 spokes. In the midst of all it's ~10.5kg of [censored], it's got cartridge Suzue hubs, which are farkin awesome -- they're probably the smoothest cartridge hubs I've ever had.

  16. I think I need to vent.

    Every regional cycling club that I have dealings with seems to be saying the same thing and that is that a big percentage of riders are no longer taking out Gold Licences as they are too expensive. We aren't talking about the ultra-keen cyclists that go to Opens, but those on the fringe such as triathletes and club riders. We have more people riding then ever but race numbers are down just enough that holding races is verging on being uneconomical.

    Throw in over the top traffic management expectations. ($3k for an interclub race at Chiltern, traffic control expected on a side road that is gravel road with a stop sign for a club race north of Albury etc.)

    Add the proliferation of people riding for micro-teams with their kit sponsored gear which is completely fragmenting clubs and I'm not seeing a rosy picture for road cycling right now.

    What can be done about this????????

  17. cheetahmk7 said:

    I was running friction down tube levers and a 11 speed cassette on my Evolution. I reckon it shifted better that way then it used to when it was indexed 8 speed.

    Yeah the Superbe Pro shifters are indexed for 7 and 8 speeds but the Superbe Pro hubs were freewheels and I got sick of bending axles so chucked some 9 speed Duraace wheels on instead. Doesn't take long to get used to getting shifts right with friction again. Shame though, because those old Superbe Pro wheels still spin longer and better than my much newer Duraace and Record wheels. ABEC 7 sealed bearings in them I think.
    Well, the front one still does, and still gets chucked in occasionally when I'm too lazy to get around to fixing a slow leak. Last time I bent an axle in the back one it ruined the right hand bearing too, and it was outrageously expensive to get new bearings for it above ABEC 3 at the time, so it's still torn down from years ago. Should get around to sorting that out still one day.

  18. cheetahmk7 said:

    Add the proliferation of people riding for micro-teams with their kit sponsored gear which is completely fragmenting clubs and I'm not seeing a rosy picture for road cycling right now.

    What can be done about this????????


    First up, let's attend the 2015 CV meeting on road racing.... wait... they cancelled it due to lack of interest. It was meant to be on Tuesday night this week. That sums it up imo.

    I've said before that clubs are dead. People buy a "CA License" these days, they don't "join or renew with a club". The role of the club has changed. Cycling is more popular than ever..... but people are doing different things. I have a LOT more to contribute on this topic..... and 'teams'.. and and.... yet here I am watching a 35min video on Everesting.... great video... and a perfect example of the alternatives to 'racing' that is out there for serious cyclists.

  19. Are the 11speed wheels 130 still, or are they 135mm hub width?
    Obviously I've never turned it up to 11. Well, my wheels anyway. 🙂

  20. Without clubs there is no racing and without racing there is just sportives (at $300 a pop), shop rides and world cups. CVIC and CNSW seem to treat clubs as cash cow not an asset. Out of CA licence of almost $400 for an elite only $20 will go to a club and then they want $5 per interclub entry and about half of an Open entry and all they do is take the entries on their useless website.

    Fast forward ten years and there won't be any new elite riders come through and the CA obsession with the elite will have nothing to work with. Remember what happened to basketball in this country?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.