The Toyota of Bicycles?

Aeek who? wrote:
> I still have a problem with the OP's equating discount department
> store bikes with toyotas. Toyotas are traditionally boring but
> reliable. These bikes are image for the cheapest possible cost.

Mid to late 1970's Chrysler products would be a more apt comparison.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Kerry Montgomery wrote:

> "Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Of course, there are some people who have been posting to Usenet
> > for over 15 years now.
> >
> > -- Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

> I've been posting since at least as long ago as 1993. Hope to
> continue doing so long after Ed gives up. Kerry

....and you still haven't learnt to snip sigs? n00b.

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura ace 10

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 18:53:13 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> On Oct 2, 11:52 am, [email protected] wrote:
>>> I have put on around 500 miles on my walmart bike commuting to work.
>>> But now there is a strange clicking and looseness in the pedal crank
>>> axle. I suspect there is some bearing problem and it probably wont
>>> last another few hundred miles.

>>> really need. My main interest is reliability and ease of adjustments
>>> in components. Which <$1000 bike manufacturer is known for this? Ill
>>> probably get a hybrid/touring kind of bike

>> http://www.rei.com/product/744802

>Since you mentioned REI, the Novara Randonee Bike is on sale now for less
>than a thousand:
>http://www.rei.com/product/744804. I know lots of folks who were happy with
>that one.

Count me as one more. (Note, too, that the regular price is less that
a thousand!) I had to rebuild the wheels (loose spokes started
breaking, and I've standardized my wheels on DTs), changed the chain,
and replaced a wheel. If a $100 Xmart bike lasts 500 miles, my
Randonee with 5,000+ doesn't cost any more per mile, already, and I
think it'll get better.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Aeek wrote:
> I still have a problem with the OP's equating discount department
> store bikes with toyotas. Toyotas are traditionally boring but
> reliable. These bikes are image for the cheapest possible cost.

My Toyota is neither boring, nor reliable. And Toyota has only gained
this reputation in the last 10 years.

Coyoteboy <[email protected]> writes:

>My Toyota is neither boring, nor reliable. And Toyota has only gained
>this reputation in the last 10 years.

Hmm, toyota has been over-engineering all its components by 10% or so
for 35 years, but that has only paid off in the last 10 years ??

Honestly, you don't know the first thing about why japanese cars made
inroads into the US car market do you ?? In the early 1970's, there
were nearly no japanese mechanics between the atlantic and pacific
oceans. The cars had to be reliable AS THERE WOULD BE NO REPAIRMEN
AND NO SPARE PARTS ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> Coyoteboy <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> My Toyota is neither boring, nor reliable. And Toyota has only gained
>> this reputation in the last 10 years.

> Hmm, toyota has been over-engineering all its components by 10% or so
> for 35 years, but that has only paid off in the last 10 years ??
>
> Honestly, you don't know the first thing about why japanese cars made
> inroads into the US car market do you ?? In the early 1970's, there
> were nearly no japanese mechanics between the atlantic and pacific
> oceans. The cars had to be reliable AS THERE WOULD BE NO REPAIRMEN
> AND NO SPARE PARTS ...

In the early 1980's, it was hard to find any mechanics in small towns
that would work on foreign cars.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:55:00 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Hmm, toyota has been over-engineering all its components by 10% or so
>> for 35 years, but that has only paid off in the last 10 years ??

Toyota has had a lot of issues in the last few years, like all other
manufacturers. On the average they are more reliable. They also
managed to adopt an American Corporate attitude towards customers by
the mid 80's (at least in the USA).

>In the early 1980's, it was hard to find any mechanics in small towns
>that would work on foreign cars.

Whuz that, one of them there forin jobbies?

> >http://www.rei.com/product/744802
>
> Since you mentioned REI, the Novara Randonee Bike is on sale now for less
> than a thousand:http://www.rei.com/product/744804. I know lots of folks who were happy with
> that one.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

I commuted 35 mi round trip on a Randonee for several years, rode it
on 3 or 4 RAGBRAIs, now my kid has ridden it on his last 4 RAGBRAIs.
I bought mine on sale too. I think that this bike is compares very
favorably to a Trek 520, particularly in light of the price
difference.

I also used a Novara Safari for commuting, it came with front and rear
racks standard - I just had to add lights and fenders. My other kid
rode it across Iowa a couple times.

Tom Sherman wrote:

> In the early 1980's, it was hard to find any mechanics in small towns
> that would work on foreign cars.

Tell me about it, I may as well have been driving a space ship.

"DennisTheBald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > >http://www.rei.com/product/744802

> > Since you mentioned REI, the Novara Randonee Bike is on sale now for

less
> > than a thousand:http://www.rei.com/product/744804. I know lots of folks

who were happy with
> > that one.
> >
> > --
> > Warm Regards,
> >
> > Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> > See the books I've set free

at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

> I commuted 35 mi round trip on a Randonee for several years, rode it
> on 3 or 4 RAGBRAIs, now my kid has ridden it on his last 4 RAGBRAIs.
> I bought mine on sale too. I think that this bike is compares very
> favorably to a Trek 520, particularly in light of the price
> difference.
>
> I also used a Novara Safari for commuting, it came with front and rear
> racks standard - I just had to add lights and fenders. My other kid
> rode it across Iowa a couple times.

Let's see, how is a Randonee the Toyota of bikes? Did I miss something?

"DennisTheBald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > >http://www.rei.com/product/744802

> > Since you mentioned REI, the Novara Randonee Bike is on sale now for

less
> > than a thousand:http://www.rei.com/product/744804. I know lots of folks

who were happy with
> > that one.
> >
> > --
> > Warm Regards,
> >
> > Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> > See the books I've set free

at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

> I commuted 35 mi round trip on a Randonee for several years, rode it
> on 3 or 4 RAGBRAIs, now my kid has ridden it on his last 4 RAGBRAIs.
> I bought mine on sale too. I think that this bike is compares very
> favorably to a Trek 520, particularly in light of the price
> difference.
>
> I also used a Novara Safari for commuting, it came with front and rear
> racks standard - I just had to add lights and fenders. My other kid
> rode it across Iowa a couple times.

Let's see, how is a Randonee the Toyota of bikes? Did I miss something?

On Oct 2, 11:52 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I have put on around 500 miles on my walmart bike commuting to work.
> But now there is a strange clicking and looseness in the pedal crank
> axle. I suspect there is some bearing problem and it probably wont
> last another few hundred miles.
>
> >From owning this bike, I have a much better idea of what bike I

> really need. My main interest is reliability and ease of adjustments
> in components. Which <$1000 bike manufacturer is known for this? Ill
> probably get a hybrid/touring kind of bike

you are better off going to ebay and buying a used bike there for $200
or $300. you can get an awesome giant, trek or specialized that will
last for ever.
regards,
carlos
www.bikingthings.com
Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.