The Triton's competition

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by The UniSLAB, Jun 20, 2008.

  1. The UniSLAB

    The UniSLAB Guest

    I have a friend who's in the metal fabrication business and is
    interested in hearing about possibly making unicycle frames and
    seatpost's. He can get a hold of ANY metal and welds so good it makes
    me cry. I talked with him today and tried to explain how he could try
    and break into the unicycle market and he seems really interested.

    So I need some help from you guys on how I should go about getting him
    to commit to doing this. He lives and operates his business here in
    Texas so if your looking for a high quality frame, shipping won't kill
    you. He's already commmited to making dual-gusseted seatposts, but I
    really want him to make some ti frames.

    It would be awesome if I could get some suggestions or help from you
    guys, as this could benifit everyone here in the U.S if he does this
    thing. Anyone have any ideas for the frame? The seatpost shouldn't be
    too hard, but I'm not an engineer so help is appreciated.

    --
    The UniSLAB

    Spoonthumb wrote:
    > Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

  2. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    it would be AWESOME if they werent as expensive as "trition"

    i would be interested aluminum cause it would be cheaper
    edit: i would buy one. :)

    --
    manon1wheel

    -Riley
    *)---':cool:, 1mHighJump*
    best side hop:114cm
    best rolling:114
    best static(no prehop):104

  3. The UniSLAB

    The UniSLAB Guest

    manon1wheel wrote:
    > it would be AWESOME if they werent as expensive as "trition"
    >
    > i would be interested aluminum cause it would be cheaper

    We talked about building some aluminum 6061 frames, but like I said
    nothing is written in stone. All I'm trying to do is figure out what
    you guys want, then we can attempt to produce some and see how it goes.

    I'm totally looking forward to the seatpost's though! Broken seatpost's
    ftl

    --
    The UniSLAB

    Spoonthumb wrote:
    > Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

  4. unibikeling

    unibikeling Guest

    that'd be soooo cool.

    an awesome looking TI frame would be really cool. If the price was
    cheap enough, i'd gladly buy one.

    Also, if it had a sorta unusual, and unique look to it. you can count
    me in.

    --
    unibikeling

    'sixsixone - Great equipment for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)

    Emile.m wrote:
    > Today I finished 4th grade

  5. The UniSLAB

    The UniSLAB Guest

    unibikeling wrote:
    > that'd be soooo cool.
    >
    > an awesome looking TI frame would be really cool. If the price was
    > cheap enough, i'd gladly buy one.
    >
    > Also, if it had a sorta unusual, and unique look to it. you can count
    > me in.

    Start sketching something up then! Like I said we want to hear what YOU
    want but at the same time we have to take into consideration durability,
    which will be the #1 priority

    --
    The UniSLAB

    Spoonthumb wrote:
    > Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

  6. Kilian

    Kilian Guest

  7. kerosian

    kerosian Guest

    I want a magnesium frame, hopefully a shin friendly one and for a 36"
    wheel. Would be fricking sick.

    --
    kerosian

    Unicycle for Ra

    DustinSchaap wrote:
    > why would you kill the 5 yr olds? there's so much more fun things you
    > can do with them :rolleyes:

  8. The UniSLAB

    The UniSLAB Guest

    kerosian wrote:
    > I want a magnesium frame, hopefully a shin friendly one and for a 36"
    > wheel. Would be fricking sick.

    Hmmm, I'd have to talk to him about mag frames. I know he can weld just
    about every metal there is, including ti, but I never asked about
    magnesium.

    I'm sure if you'd be willing to pay he'd be willing to make it!:)

    Thanks so far for the interest though guys, and keep it coming

    --
    The UniSLAB

    Spoonthumb wrote:
    > Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

  9. kerosian

    kerosian Guest

    It's similiar to welding aluminum, not nearly as hard as Ti

    --
    kerosian

    Unicycle for Ra

    DustinSchaap wrote:
    > why would you kill the 5 yr olds? there's so much more fun things you
    > can do with them :rolleyes:

  10. The UniSLAB

    The UniSLAB Guest

    kerosian wrote:
    > It's similiar to welding aluminum, not nearly as hard as Ti

    Then it shouldn't be a problem. The main thing we need though as of
    right now is an actual spec. sheet on the frame itself. Seatpost's will
    be fairly simple, but a frame is different. That's why I'm hoping somone
    with a decent concept for structural intergrity and fame design will
    chime in.

    --
    The UniSLAB

    Spoonthumb wrote:
    > Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

  11. unibikeling

    unibikeling Guest

    hmmm... i'll draw up plans this weekend as i nurse my ankle back to full
    health, again.

    It'll look pretty gangster, you dont know, he should like polish in
    things acid etch things and words in the side.

    i'll show you some drawings soon enough..

    --

    Emile.m wrote:
    > Today I finished 4th grade

  12. The UniSLAB

    The UniSLAB Guest

    unibikeling wrote:
    > hmmm... i'll draw up plans this weekend as i nurse my ankle back to full
    > health, again.
    >
    > It'll look pretty gangster, you dont know, he should like polish in
    > things acid etch things and words in the side.
    >
    > i'll show you some drawings soon enough..

    Man that would awesome if you could. We can worry about the final
    touches later (polish,etching,ect.) but like I said we need a solid
    design first and foremost. We also might not just be limited to one
    design either so keep that in mind

    --
    The UniSLAB

    Spoonthumb wrote:
    > Does it make you feel good? Arguing on the internet?

  13. Kilian

    Kilian Guest

  14. zfreak220

    zfreak220 Guest

  15. oneisenough

    oneisenough Guest

    i'd get one if they arent too much $$$, and something different. Im not
    much of a designer, but ill see what i can do!

    --
    oneisenough

    Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong):p
    'Youtube' (http://www.youtube.com/user/RookieFilming) 'Vimeo'
    (http://www.vimeo.com/user496125)

    The UniSLAB wrote:
    > Go big or go home, don worry about those little clown tricks called
    > flips and wrap arounds. We don't dance with our uni's, we jump em

    2nd Place*)---':D, 6ft Static Gap

  16. unibikeling

    unibikeling Guest

    i drew up plans, but my printer crapped out on me lol... It decided to
    make a real big beep, then say it needed to be reset... I'll take a pic
    of em maybe.

    --

    Emile.m wrote:
    > Today I finished 4th grade

  17. Any Terrain

    Any Terrain Guest

    I would like to see a Ti black domina frame (like the "Ti" without the
    Lolipop bearing holders). But make it so you can customize the tube
    size for those who want their seat low and those who want it high.

    EDIT: I read the first page in the Triton thread, i guess it isn't
    possible (or with OT4?) because it has to be 1mm tubing

    --
    Any Terrain

    'The Great Chicago Meet-up Thread'

  18. SqueakyOnion

    SqueakyOnion Guest

    If it turns out to be a quality product, there's quite a good chance
    I'll buy one once I could scrape the money together.

    I'd definitely be interested in an aluminum or Ti frame, in a 29er
    size.

    --
    SqueakyOnion

    "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves
    and the state;"
    -The Constitution of Pennsylvania - Sept. 28th, 1776

    I am not a Texan. I'm a Pennsylvanian!

  19. Emile.m

    Emile.m Guest

    Any Terrain wrote:
    > I would like to see a Ti black domina frame (like the "Ti" without the
    > Lolipop bearing holders).

    Lolipop bearings can be as good or better then normal bearing holders.

    --
    Emile.m

    Ntappin wrote:

    > I'm a butcher, and it took me like 10 minutes to get one nub off my
    > luna.

    2nd *)---TreFlip-'O,

    M'y galler' (http://tinyurl.com/23w828)y

  20. unibikeling

    unibikeling Guest

    I was thinking, especially make the frame square tubing. It'd increase
    its strength a lot. Thats what my plan was, and then i had some braces
    where the seatpost connects to for frame legs. like that area, so you
    dont break the tube thing off.. like Jon A has done.