Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Third Bidon Cage

Started by Bob C · · Last activity · 26 posts · 916 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 January 2007
Last activity
6 January 2007
Original author
Bob C
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
916
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Peter Cole said:
    landotter said:

    Exactly why I don't ride with clubs any more. The [censored] percentage is
    astronomical. Why should I care what grown men think? FWIW, the few
    club riders I've *tried* to ride with around here invariably had more
    money than brains, and were the most reckless jagoffs I've ever ridden
    with.


    Although I might phrase it more delicately, I pretty much agree with
    your sentiments. I'm not sure why I still do club rides, but I often
    ride between packs, or at least with a small group of familiar riders.

    Hmm. There have to be differences between different clubs and
    different riders, no?

    There are all kinds of rides. Around here we have the gamut, from real,
    organized races (require at least a day license) to "ice cream" rides.

    The "club rides" I was referring to are those fast rides, usually weekly
    over the same course, where things get competitive. It's not uncommon
    for racers to show up for those rides ("training"😉, and many of the
    competitive riders show up for things like charity rides and club
    centuries, often riding in their own packs.

    I like to ride fast, with small groups of similarly matched riders, but
    it gets difficult to pick who you wind up riding with on these weekly
    rides, especially when they start getting popular. On the opposite end,
    the "ice cream" rides tend to be too slow and too short to be very
    interesting.

    In both the competitive groups and the doodlers I find a lot of sketchy
    riding. There have been lots of crashes, virtually all of them easily
    avoidable. The doodlers often weave about as they chat, without much
    regard to traffic. The competitive types often ride over their heads for
    fear of getting dropped, jockeying for position in the pack. When I can
    get in a smooth 5-6 person pace line, I'm happy. It hardly ever happens.

  2. Bob C said:

    Anyone care to comment on a proposal to fit "Rivnuts" under the downtube on
    my 8 yr old aluminium framed mountain bike for a third bidon carrier?

    --
    Bob C

    Hello there.

    I mounted a third bottle holder and cage on my handlebars. (There is an
    image of it at http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=207546979&size=l
    which also shows the Profile Designs water bottle holder. That cage
    expands to fit many different size bottles. I have even put a 1.5 litre
    bottle in the downtube cage.) It is great there as it is easily
    accessible. I like water bottles because I can carry both a flavoured
    drink and plain water. On really long or hot weather rides I also carry
    two bottles behind the saddle. I find the handle bar and saddle mounted
    bottles to be the easiest to access whilst riding. Another neat thing
    about the handlebar mounted cage is that I can put a cup of coffee in
    the cage to drink whilst commuting.

    I did have a bicycle many years ago that had a beneath the downtube
    mounted bottle. A bottle carried thee can get very dirty very quickly
    if you ride through any water or mud. It is also very hard to get at
    whilst riding.

    I use the Powerade sports drink bottles. The caps on the 710 ml bottles
    are very useful. Those caps have a flip-up cover which protects the
    drinking spout from dirt. The cap also fots the Gatorade 591 ml size
    bottle but not the larger Gatorade bottle. I get very long plastic
    straws that are used for slushy drinks. The straw is easily inserted
    into the Poerade bottle through the valve in the bottle cap. With that
    I can drink from the bottle without having to remove it from the cage.

    I hope some of this is useful to you.

    Cheers from Peter

  3. Marcus Coles said:
    Bob C said:

    Anyone care to comment on a proposal to fit "Rivnuts" under the downtube on
    my 8 yr old aluminium framed mountain bike for a third bidon carrier?

    My experience with aluminum rivnuts for bottle retention off road has
    not been good. They eventually come loose and you need to pull the
    bottom bracket to clean out the mess when you drill them out to replace
    them or listen to them rattle assuming you have a sealed BB. Monel
    rivnuts are supposedly more durable in this application in a steel
    frame, I don't know about using them in aluminum.

    I wouldn't recommend carrying a bottle under the downtube
    for riding off-road anyway. It is going to get very dirty. If you
    ride anyplace where there are horses or cows, you may
    have to worry about more than the average good clean
    edible dirt, too. Some tourists carry a non-water bottle
    down there, like a fuel can, and then it might be less of
    a problem.

    Ben

  4. Bob C said:

    Anyone care to comment on a proposal to fit "Rivnuts" under the downtube on
    my 8 yr old aluminium framed mountain bike for a third bidon carrier?

    --
    Bob C

    Hi Bob.

    OOPS! I forgot to mention some thing that may be very important if you
    do ride off-road over rough terrain. An under-the-downtube mounted
    water bottle is likely to get caught on debris or obstacles such as a
    large exposed root, small branch or large stone. That could rip the
    rivnuts right out of the frame and possibly cause serious damage to the
    frame.

    Cheers from Peter

  5. Bob C said:

    Anyone care to comment on a proposal to fit "Rivnuts" under the downtube on
    my 8 yr old aluminium framed mountain bike for a third bidon carrier?


    depends on quality and thickness of the tube. if it's a high end "beer
    can" thin tube, i wouldn't do it. fatigue initiation.

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Marcus Coles said:
    Bob C said:

    Anyone care to comment on a proposal to fit "Rivnuts" under the


    downtube on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my 8 yr old aluminium framed mountain bike for a third bidon


    carrier?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My experience with aluminum rivnuts for bottle retention off road has
    not been good. They eventually come loose and you need to pull the
    bottom bracket to clean out the mess when you drill them out to


    replace

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    them or listen to them rattle assuming you have a sealed BB. Monel
    rivnuts are supposedly more durable in this application in a steel
    frame, I don't know about using them in aluminum.

    I wouldn't recommend carrying a bottle under the downtube
    for riding off-road anyway. It is going to get very dirty. If you
    ride anyplace where there are horses or cows, you may
    have to worry about more than the average good clean
    edible dirt, too. Some tourists carry a non-water bottle
    down there, like a fuel can, and then it might be less of
    a problem.

    Ben

    Sheep are even more of a concern because they carry the giardia parasite.

    Chas.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.