This is your Floyd off drugs

The results are incredible. A 51 year old only 1 mn slower than Hampsten's record... We can see how efficient is EPO. (Guilty until proven innocent !:D)
Maybe Floyd was the only clean rider among the first riders.

21.8 mph avg. speed for Overend. What's the grade on that hill?

Didn't Overend win Mt. Washington last year?

kennf said:

Ned is something else. Quite an inspiration to those of us on the far side of 40.

There's also the small matter of a hip replacement. And he's butt-ugly. That's a major handicap that needs to be taken into account.

poulidor said:
The results are incredible. A 51 year old only 1 mn slower than Hampsten's record... We can see how efficient is EPO. (Guilty until proven innocent !:D)
Maybe Floyd was the only clean rider among the first riders.
Ned may be the most talented rider [climbing] that the US has produced. A riding buddy of mine who rode with Andy H and Lemond back in the day said that neither one of them could hold Ned's wheel if he were to race the road. [Climbing ....... Just climbing]
The boys in Durango have their hands full on weekly rides.

ishiwata said:
There's also the small matter of a hip replacement. And he's butt-ugly. That's a major handicap that needs to be taken into account.
He should try putting his face on his seat and his ass in the air, no one could see his roid rage either.

wolfix said:
Ned may be the most talented rider [climbing] that the US has produced. A riding buddy of mine who rode with Andy H and Lemond back in the day said that neither one of them could hold Ned's wheel if he were to race the road. [Climbing ....... Just climbing]
The boys in Durango have their hands full on weekly rides.
And check the pic of him. Judging from the vascularity in his arms, he's hold some serious fitness.

Oh my god, we're all actually agreeing on something. Close the thread damnit!

kennf said:
the course starts out, according to the article, with a flat/slight downhill and then a 3-mile climb at 6% steady

the avg speed is for the entire 9.8mi course.

I didnt see any split times or avg speeds for the hill portion. that would be a nice touch to include in the article.

kennf said:

Nope, he placed 2nd to Tyler Hamilton. Still, a beast of a rider, especially for 51.

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed with Floyd's results, especially when in a prerace article he had said that he would defend his tour crown if given the opportunity. It would, however, be interesting to throw Lance, Jan, and maybe a few other recent retirees into the mix and see what happenned. I bet they'd be just as crappy (relatively speaking).