Thomson stems and seatpost Q

artemidorus said:
Nicely machined, light, strong, not plastic.
Specialized stems and seatpost seem to be nicely machine, light, and not plastic as well. What sets thomsons aside?

Nas_kaj said:
Specialized stems and seatpost seem to be nicely machine, light, and not plastic as well. What sets thomsons aside?
Do you really want a seatpost with ZERO SETBACK?!?

I think that THOMSON is currently the most commonly available after-market seatpost that has ZERO SETBACK ...

Unless you are thinking of buying the THOMSON seatpost for your MTB, you probably want a seatpost with some setback ... most seatposts have about the same amount of setback ... some like the current Easton seatposts have more ...

Let your budget & aesthetics be your guide ... and, be sure that if you buy a new seatpost that you get a seatpost with the SAME diameter as your current seatpost!

alfeng said:
Do you really want a seatpost with ZERO SETBACK?!?

I think that THOMSON is currently the most commonly available after-market seatpost that has ZERO SETBACK ...

Unless you are thinking of buying the THOMSON seatpost for your MTB, you probably want a seatpost with some setback ... most seatposts have about the same amount of setback ... some like the current Easton seatposts have more ...

Let your budget & aesthetics be your guide ... and, be sure that if you buy a new seatpost that you get a seatpost with the SAME diameter as your current seatpost!
Thomson make posts with and without setback, whatever you want.

Nas_kaj said:
Yup, you're right. Specialized stems and seatposts are what you'd get if Thompson had kept a closer eye on the cost-o-meter insted of just trying to make the best product he could.

Nas_kaj said:
Short answer is their quality. They are easy to install and set up, they don't slip, don't break and look good for a long time. Other stuff may work as well, but Thomson has the rep for quality and strength, and their loyal customers are willing to pay more as a result. There are plenty of cheaper seatposts on the market to choose.

A buddy recently got a Thomson setback post in 31.8 mm dia for his Kestrel, to replace his shimmed-up FSA CF post he stuck in when he built the bike. The post is bent, rather than just having a cantilever mount stuck on the top. He's very happy with the solid, creak-free results. Not sure why he's on a 56 cm frame with a setback post instead of the 58 cm he should be riding, but that's another issue :)

artemidorus said:
Thomson make posts with and without setback, whatever you want.
Thanks for the info -- I knew that they used to make a variation of their "normal" seatpost, but with a bend in the actual post to create setback, but I did not know that they still made/sold it.

The Thamson seatpost clamp is truly infinitely adjustable (no notches) and will not slip. My Masterpiece seatpost is lighter than almost all carbon posts at nearly 1/2 the cost. Thomson products are a great example of simplicity, elegant engineering, and quality, which is completely consistent with their cost. Plus, the company gives back to the cycling community by generously sponsoring teams. Can't think of a bike products company I'd rather support.

The black seatposts are as sexy as any carbon post. I'd call it the Kysriums of seatposts. Perhaps not the lightest, but at least in will never let you down. Besides, unless you're a competing/aspiring KOM pro, who gives a sh*t. Shave your head to shed some weight if it's such a big deal, same goes for seats and any other thing crazy ppl make sacrifices on to keep it light.

And they have angle markings on the seatposts and a dual pivot bolt thing-ama-jig for a much more sophisticated/accurate clamping.

I got on on my racing bike, and doubt I'll ever use any else for the mean time.

artemidorus said:
No, Thomson is much better than THAT!

How dare you, sir. I shall challenge you to a duel (just sent an e-slap across your face with my cycling gloves).

artemidorus said:
No, Thomson is much better than THAT!
lol, and a big +1 on your assessment :) But have to admit that buying a high-quality seatpost with fancy machining and finish is probably an exercise in overkill. My 1974 Raleigh has a plain soft al post with an old-school steel clamp holding the Brooks saddle. Tilt adjustment is kind of hit-or-miss, and the stuff probably weighs as much as a new frame, but even that lowly combo does serve to hold seat and frame together.

dhk2 said:
But have to admit that buying a high-quality seatpost with fancy machining and finish is probably an exercise in overkill.
If blinging up your bike makes you want to get on it more, then the investment pays for itself quickly.
My plastic seatpost broke as I was JRA (!!!!, amazing how quickly you react when your bum is staring at composite shard impalement!), so I threw on a cheap old >300g Kalloy post that I had in the shed. I'm seeing how long I can resist blinglust (I've had my eye on the Thomson Masterpiece setback for a while, but the pricetag is keeping me under control).

What makes Thompson so good? Nothing in particular. Sure, they're good, but whether or not they're better than something else or the best is purely a matter of personal opinion. There are many stems and posts that are just as good as Thompson bits.

They're well designed, won't bend seatrails, infinitely adjustable, pretty much bombproof, the angle guide on the side makes setup a breeze and they use quality fasteners...

... plus the Masterpiece series is pure eye candy too.

A word of warning for the heavier rider using the Masterpiece - I've managing to break mine inside the post clamp despite only ever using a torque wrench to take the bolts to 5 Nm. Fatigue on bumpy roads under my 85 kg weight, I imagine. I'll replace it with an ordinary Elite.

Thomson posts I will trust absolutely. They are a "set and forget" piece of equipment - the perfect part. Awesome resale value, look good, relatively light, no gimmicks, and simply no issues.