Thoughts about new bike possibilities

Paul

Guest
I'm looking for a good quality mountain bike for commuting and lots of recreational riding on very
rough country roads and trails and some off-road (and pssibly in the future, some touring), in
short a good all-round workhorse that can cope with the sort of stuff I ride (sometimes whilst
carrying the shopping!). I'd prefer the robustness of a true mountain bike rather than a hybrid
although I would prefer a 48 tooth big ring for when I'm on-road. I know from previous thread that
there is a lot of debate regarding frame materials but I'd like something that, with care, will be
an investment and last (and provide a good platform for future upgrading) so I was thinking
probably steel.

At the moment I am considering a custom build up around the On-One Inbred which will allow me to
spec. a appropriate chainset (probably 26,36,48 standard Deore). My other possibility is an Orange
P7, this comes with a compact drive chainset (I don't know whether the difference between 48 and 44
tooth chainwheels will be noticable), Orange seem to think that on of their dealers should be able
to sort out fitting a standard drive chainset if that is what I want (don't know about cost).

Since an Inbred frame and rigid fork cost pretty much the same as the P7 frame and rigid fork I
would imagine that buying a stock P7 (even with a change of chainset) would be more cost effective
than buying components retail for an Inbred build (plus, being completely mechanically inept, I'd
have to add the cost of a mechanic to build it). Also, for £50 over their rigid option, I could get
a P7 with a Manitou Axel Elite 80 suspension fork. My current bike is rigid and I don't know a great
deal about suspension systems or how it would effect my road riding, but I do know that having a
fully rigid bike has limited the type of off-road terrain I ride.

All that said I don't mind the extra cost of building up an Inbred if it's a better frame. I don't
know which is a stronger frame for instance (the P7 doesn't seem to have the gussets of the Inbred).
I was wondering about peoples' thoughts on these 3 options, rigid Inbred, rigid P7 and P7 with
Manitou Axel Elite 80 fork, bearing in mind the mix of on-road commuting, pot holed, rough country
lanes and light, recreational off-road. Equally any other options would be appreciated, steel or
aluminium (Ridgeback do some ally urban mountain bikes with lifetime frame guarantees).

Thanks for any thoughts, With Kind Regards, Paul

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:53:48 +0100, Paul did issue forth:

<snip>

> Thanks for any thoughts, With Kind Regards, Paul

You want a P7. Trust me.

If you're thinking about touring, the P7 has eyelets galore should you decide to stick a rack, or
mudguards on it.

Also, I can recommend the P7 as a great all-day steed. I've spent a couple of eight hour days riding
it off-road and it's suited that role really well, it should be really comfortable for on and off
road touring too. As Orange themselves put it, it's the mountain bike equivalent of a soulmate. I
love mine dearly.

Huw "The OnOne frames are nice too, mind" Pritchard

Thanks for the thoughts, you're convincing me. I'd be interested to know what you think about the
suspension option vs. the rigid one. I believe that the rigid fork that comes with the P7 is
aluminium as opposed to a steel one with the Inbred. As I said in my original post my current bike
has a rigid steel fork and I'm not too knowledgable about suspension forks. I can only afford the
standard P7 setup so the Scarab fork that comes with the Pro P7 isn't an option, is the Manitou Axel
Elite 80 fork any good for general riding and will it be a handicap on-road. I guess my ideal fork
would be suspension with lockout but this isn't an option as it would take me way over budget.

Thanks again Huw

With Kind Regards, Paul.

Paul wrote:

> isn't an option, is the Manitou Axel Elite 80 fork any good for general riding and will it be a
> handicap on-road. I guess my ideal fork would be suspension with lockout but this isn't an option
> as it would take me way over budget.

Very probably the case that *any* long travel off-road fork without a lock-out will sap energy on
the road unless you're on an exhibition site for the International Year of the Pothole, so yes, it
will be a handicap.

However, sounds to me like the primary purpose of the machine is the rough stuff, for which front
forks are a Very Good Idea: my MTB is rigid, dating back to when sus forks all cost Real Money, and
at the end of a day my wrists are feeling a bit hammered, but it's also very noticeable how friends
with sus forks I'd been keeping up with just fine on climbs and flat are barrelling past me when the
going is rough.

For serious off-road, good sus makes the bike more efficient, which translates to faster, safer
and more comfortable. Daft not to these days, unless you're at the very bottom end of the
half-decent stuff.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/