Thoughts on my new Electra - a Joy to Ride!

Jay

Guest
Thanks (all) for your thoughtful comments regarding my recent bike troubles.
I expect to have my SM+ tires in a couple days. I have a couple minor
adjustments for RTC. Then I will post pics on my website, with a link in
this thread.

As I look back on my two-year BF folder experiment, it is quite obvious that
my Electra is a much better choice for a year-round Chicago bike commuter,
riding 5,000 miles yearly. But I had no way of knowing that, two years ago.
I have benefited greatly from the advice of RBT regulars. Their only dog in
the fight, is they want to see bikes done right.

My folder is still useful when I need to pack it into a car. But strictly in
good weather. An exposed derailleur system is clearly unsuitable for winter
commuting in Chicago.

Pensive J.

On Mar 28, 6:31 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks (all) for your thoughtful comments regarding my recent bike troubles.
> I expect to have my SM+ tires in a couple days. I have a couple minor
> adjustments for RTC. Then I will post pics on my website, with a link in
> this thread.
>
> As I look back on my two-year BF folder experiment, it is quite obvious that
> my Electra is a much better choice for a year-round Chicago bike commuter,
> riding 5,000 miles yearly. But I had no way of knowing that, two years ago..
> I have benefited greatly from the advice of RBT regulars. Their only dog in
> the fight, is they want to see bikes done right.
>
> My folder is still useful when I need to pack it into a car. But strictly in
> good weather. An exposed derailleur system is clearly unsuitable for winter
> commuting in Chicago.
>
> Pensive J.

OK!

Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

J.

Jay said:
On Mar 28, 6:31*pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks (all) for your thoughtful comments regarding my recent bike troubles.
> I expect to have my SM+ tires in a couple days. I have a couple minor
> adjustments for RTC. Then I will post pics on my website, with a link in
> this thread.
>
> As I look back on my two-year BF folder experiment, it is quite obvious that
> my Electra is a much better choice for a year-round Chicago bike commuter,
> riding 5,000 miles yearly. But I had no way of knowing that, two years ago..
> I have benefited greatly from the advice of RBT regulars. Their only dog in
> the fight, is they want to see bikes done right.
>
> My folder is still useful when I need to pack it into a car. But strictly in
> good weather. An exposed derailleur system is clearly unsuitable for winter
> commuting in Chicago.
>
> Pensive J.

OK!

Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

J.
Hmm. Nice looking bike. Is that a bend in the seatpost where it exits the seat tube, or is that my eyes playing tricks on me? If so, was it bent on purpose?
Also, I've seen that particuclar roller brake on lots of Nexus 7s, but never on an 8. Just an observation, I'm sure it will work fine in the flat country.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

On Mar 31, 9:39 am, Dan Burkhart <Dan.Burkhart.375...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Jay Wrote:
>
> > On Mar 28, 6:31*pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Thanks (all) for your thoughtful comments regarding my recent bike

> > troubles.
> > > I expect to have my SM+ tires in a couple days. I have a couple

> > minor
> > > adjustments for RTC. Then I will post pics on my website, with a link

> > in
> > > this thread.

> > > As I look back on my two-year BF folder experiment, it is quite

> > obvious that
> > > my Electra is a much better choice for a year-round Chicago bike

> > commuter,
> > > riding 5,000 miles yearly. But I had no way of knowing that, two

> > years ago..
> > > I have benefited greatly from the advice of RBT regulars. Their only

> > dog in
> > > the fight, is they want to see bikes done right.

> > > My folder is still useful when I need to pack it into a car. But

> > strictly in
> > > good weather. An exposed derailleur system is clearly unsuitable for

> > winter
> > > commuting in Chicago.

> > > Pensive J.

> > OK!

> > Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
> > release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:

> >http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

> > J.

> Hmm. Nice looking bike. Is that a bend in the seatpost where it exits
> the seat tube, or is that my eyes playing tricks on me? If so, was it
> bent on purpose?

It's bent a good 5 degrees.

> Also, I've seen that particuclar roller brake on lots of Nexus 7s, but
> never on an 8. Just an observation, I'm sure it will work fine in the
> flat country.

I like those roller brakes a lot. They get dissed by folks that think
ya need disc brake face planting fingertip response at all times--but
for riding at "conversational" speeds in slop--they're fantastic. I
just rode the Electra Amsterdam "Fat Frank" at the LBS for kicks a
couple days ago, with 9spd derailleur and 2 RBs and it stops like a
champ. Noiseless, with great feel. They do need to be repacked with
grease every Chicago winter or two as needed, just wait till you hear
them grind. I believe it's just a matter of popping open the grease
port, squeezing in the approved grease, and wiping off the old--and
you're good to go. I've used Phil's grease in them with no problem,
but YMMV. The "Fat Frank" is a hoot, btw--but suited for a dry climate
as it's nature is to be free of fenders. It's like riding marshmallows
on top of breast implants.

landotter said:
On Mar 31, 9:39*am,
It's bent a good 5 degrees.

> Also, I've seen that particuclar roller brake on lots of Nexus 7s, but
> never on an 8. Just an observation, I'm sure it will work fine in the
> flat country.

I like those roller brakes a lot. They get dissed by folks that think
ya need disc brake face planting fingertip response at all times--but
for riding at "conversational" speeds in slop--they're fantastic. I
just rode the Electra Amsterdam "Fat Frank" at the LBS for kicks a
couple days ago, with 9spd derailleur and 2 RBs and it stops like a
champ. Noiseless, with great feel. They do need to be repacked with
grease every Chicago winter or two as needed, just wait till you hear
them grind. I believe it's just a matter of popping open the grease
port, squeezing in the approved grease, and wiping off the old--and
you're good to go. I've used Phil's grease in them with no problem,
but YMMV. The "Fat Frank" is a hoot, btw--but suited for a dry climate
as it's nature is to be free of fenders. It's like riding marshmallows
on top of breast implants.

I quite agree with you on the roller brake. My observation was simply that I have never had a Nexus 8 with an M41 brake through here. I've only seen them on 3 and 7 speed. All the Nexus 8 bikes I've seen with roller brakes,including one of my own bikes, were the IM70. Both work great in my opinion.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

On Mar 31, 12:25 pm, Dan Burkhart <Dan.Burkhart.375...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> landotter Wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 9:39*am,
> > It's bent a good 5 degrees.

> > > Also, I've seen that particuclar roller brake on lots of Nexus 7s,

> > but
> > > never on an 8. Just an observation, I'm sure it will work fine in

> > the
> > > flat country.

> > I like those roller brakes a lot. They get dissed by folks that think
> > ya need disc brake face planting fingertip response at all times--but
> > for riding at "conversational" speeds in slop--they're fantastic. I
> > just rode the Electra Amsterdam "Fat Frank" at the LBS for kicks a
> > couple days ago, with 9spd derailleur and 2 RBs and it stops like a
> > champ. Noiseless, with great feel. They do need to be repacked with
> > grease every Chicago winter or two as needed, just wait till you hear
> > them grind. I believe it's just a matter of popping open the grease
> > port, squeezing in the approved grease, and wiping off the old--and
> > you're good to go. I've used Phil's grease in them with no problem,
> > but YMMV. The "Fat Frank" is a hoot, btw--but suited for a dry climate
> > as it's nature is to be free of fenders. It's like riding marshmallows
> > on top of breast implants.

> I quite agree with you on the roller brake. My observation was simply
> that I have never had a Nexus 8 with an M41 brake through here. I've
> only seen them on 3 and 7 speed. All the Nexus 8 bikes I've seen with
> roller brakes,including one of my own bikes, were the IM70. Both work
> great in my opinion.
> Dan Burkhartwww.boomerbicycle.ca

Ah right, the newer model has that big cooling disk. Same mount on the
side of the hub, I assume? I have a feeling that they wanted to keep
costs down and probably saved ten bucks by using the old version. On a
bike that's meant for a leisurely pace--not a bad place to cheap out.
I used mine in Chicago, so the "hugest" descents mine ever saw were
coming down the Halsted bridge towards Bucktown, so don't think an
IM70 would do Jay any better.

What's your take on the grease?

Jay wrote:
> On Mar 28, 6:31 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thanks (all) for your thoughtful comments regarding my recent bike troubles.
>> I expect to have my SM+ tires in a couple days. I have a couple minor
>> adjustments for RTC. Then I will post pics on my website, with a link in
>> this thread.
>>
>> As I look back on my two-year BF folder experiment, it is quite obvious that
>> my Electra is a much better choice for a year-round Chicago bike commuter,
>> riding 5,000 miles yearly. But I had no way of knowing that, two years ago.
>> I have benefited greatly from the advice of RBT regulars. Their only dog in
>> the fight, is they want to see bikes done right.
>>
>> My folder is still useful when I need to pack it into a car. But strictly in
>> good weather. An exposed derailleur system is clearly unsuitable for winter
>> commuting in Chicago.
>>
>> Pensive J.
>>

> OK!
>
> Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
> release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:
>
> http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/
>
> J.

Half of your chaincase is missing. Why is that?

Lou

In article
<ce32a3b0-ac77-4ffa-b4e0-f16a268a16c9@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Jay <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 6:31 pm, "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Thanks (all) for your thoughtful comments regarding my recent bike troubles.
> > I expect to have my SM+ tires in a couple days. I have a couple minor
> > adjustments for RTC. Then I will post pics on my website, with a link in
> > this thread.
> >
> > As I look back on my two-year BF folder experiment, it is quite obvious that
> > my Electra is a much better choice for a year-round Chicago bike commuter,
> > riding 5,000 miles yearly. But I had no way of knowing that, two years ago.
> > I have benefited greatly from the advice of RBT regulars. Their only dog in
> > the fight, is they want to see bikes done right.
> >
> > My folder is still useful when I need to pack it into a car. But strictly in
> > good weather. An exposed derailleur system is clearly unsuitable for winter
> > commuting in Chicago.
> >
> > Pensive J.
> >

> OK!
>
> Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
> release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:
>
> http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

What's that gouge in the frame tube?

(just kidding)

--
Michael Press

On Mar 31, 4:03 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 9:39 am, Dan Burkhart wrote:
> > Jay Wrote:

> > > Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
> > > release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:

> > >http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

> > > J.

> > Also, I've seen that particuclar roller brake on lots of Nexus 7s, but
> > never on an 8. Just an observation, I'm sure it will work fine in the
> > flat country.

> I like those roller brakes a lot. They get dissed by folks that think
> ya need disc brake face planting fingertip response at all times--but
> for riding at "conversational" speeds in slop--they're fantastic.

They're fantastic for much more demanding riding than that. On my
first Dutch city bike I cautiously chose a version with a disc front
brake and roller rear brake. My riding is on hills; it is almost
impossible to find a flat road here; and I ride down those hill flat
out. I was so impressed with the rear roller brake (50 series) on my
Gazelle Toulouse that for my second Dutch city bike, even with the all-
disc Alfine hubs-gears and -dynamos already available, I chose instead
to go with the Trek Cybernexus, which has the 75/70 rollerbrake
combination front and rear. In my opinion, the latest generation of
roller brakes give nothing away to discs under even the most stressful
circumstances. In addition roller brakes require less service and
money spent on them, and are a bit easier to control than discs. I did
measured rear wheel only stops in a short steep private lane next to
my neighbour, and discovered that the 50 series rear roller brake
stops within fractions as well as the latest 70 series rear roller
brake. I repeated the test with 20 hard applications (just short of
skidding, front brake used a little if necessary) each on a long on a
long hill in a short space of time to check if the much bigger, finned
heatsink on the 70 series brake makes a difference. The 70 series disc
was not perceptibly warm, the thin 50 series disc was maybe a bit
warmer than ambient. A disc brake in the same use gets perceptibly
warmer, but never too hot to touch. I conclude that both disc and
roller brakes are much more than plenty good enough: they're overkill.
I'm not sure under what circumstances, excluding one-upmanship, one
would choose to lash out for the top of the range 70/75 roller brakes
rather than those in the middle of the range which are already
considered good enough by the people who know, the Dutch, to use on
pretty pricey city-sporting bikes. I imagine Trek put them on my
Smover because they came with the upmarket Cyber Nexus groupset. The
middle of the roller brake range, as fitted by Gazelle to my Toulouse,
is more indicative, I think.

I weight about the same as Jay and like him I carry quite a bit of
stuff on the bike, but as I said above I ride on much hillier terrain,
so I imagine we'll have to wait until Jay takes up loaded touring on
mountain passes to find out what his brakes can really do. Even my
hilly terrain doesn't have any descents long enough to ride the brake
for more than a few minutes at the time, which just about gets either
roller brakes or discs warm -- even though these hills are steep and
long enough with rim brakes to make metal brake block fittings and
sometimes the rim too hot to touch.

And that puts the debate in its true perspective: roller brakes are
superior to rim brakes.

Mind you, a guy who in descending a mountain doesn't have time to stop
and take in the view while his brakes cool doesn't have time to be a
cyclist either. The late Mr Travers Jeffers, who owned a local
sporting goods emporium, had a self-important American tourist at his
fishing counter one day. Nothing was good enough for this American. Mr
Travers, as he was known, saw me cast an eye over this man's brand new
flycasting gear, the best that could be ordered from Abercrombie but
totally unused, and shook his head at me ever so slightly to stop me
telling the fellow he should save his gear to display in his living
room at home, and instead borrow a rod and ask Mr Travers to wind him
a couple of his special dinner special flies that always caught the
big ones. Finally this fellow, having demonstrated that he had heard
all the technical terms but hadn't bothered about the meanings,
demanded, "Well, I want, prestretched line." Mr Travers put the drawer
of excellent fishing line he stocked away. "Ah, sir," he said
urbanely, "round these parts we believe that a fisherman who doesn't
have time to stretch his own line doesn't have time to fish."

> just rode the Electra Amsterdam "Fat Frank" at the LBS for kicks a
> couple days ago, with 9spd derailleur and 2 RBs and it stops like a
> champ. Noiseless, with great feel. They do need to be repacked with
> grease every Chicago winter or two as needed, just wait till you hear
> them grind. I believe it's just a matter of popping open the grease
> port, squeezing in the approved grease, and wiping off the old--and
> you're good to go.

It's a thirty second operation. Nothing to wipe off if you use
Shimano's official roller brake grease which has a nozzle that goes
right inside and comes back out without mess. You gotta pop the bung
back in the port when you finish. In theory you should be able to tell
from additional slackness in the brake lever that the roller brakes
need grease; I think it's ******** because I did have a dry or drying
brake and there was no additional play in the lever: I knew because
the stops were a bit rough and getting rougher, and the roughness went
away immediately after a squirt of the special grease; not because of
any noise either, which is supposed to be the other indicator.

>I've used Phil's grease in them with no problem,
> but YMMV.

I think it is better to stick to the official specially formulated
roller brake grease. It's cheap enough and the big t00ml tube will
last forever. I can't remember where I read it now, but Sheldon or
someone else with experience said that all the cases of a wrecked
internal gear hubs he'd seen was down to precautionary maintenance
with the wrong grease, and it seems to me likely that the same would
apply to roller brakes.

>The "Fat Frank" is a hoot, btw--but suited for a dry climate
> as it's nature is to be free of fenders. It's like riding marshmallows
> on top of breast implants.

What an image!

How often do you put grease in your roller brakes, Landotter? And you,
Dan?

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE & CYCLING.html

On Mar 31, 10:09 pm, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 4:03 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I've used Phil's grease in them with no problem,
> > but YMMV.

> I think it is better to stick to the official specially formulated
> roller brake grease. It's cheap enough and the big t00ml tube will
> last forever. I can't remember where I read it now, but Sheldon or
> someone else with experience said that all the cases of a wrecked
> internal gear hubs he'd seen was down to precautionary maintenance
> with the wrong grease, and it seems to me likely that the same would
> apply to roller brakes.

Roller brakes are dead simple cam devices. I wouldn't say they require
the same level of precision lubricant as a gear hub. If you can get
the correct grease with a fitting for the port--great--otherwise, just
take it off the hub, which is a simple affair, degrease it, dry, and
pack with a high temp grease of your choice. I used Phil's as that's
what I had in my tool kit. It's nice and viscous, so stays put. If
you've got the official stuff, by all means. Again, this is just a
roller and cam system--none too fussy.

The Nexus gearhub is another affair. I ran my original Inter-7 for 30K
US miles before it was stolen four years ago this spring. About five
years of service. It shifted as good on the day I forgot it on the
back porch as on the day I bought it. I doubt I'd ever bother to
service one--as they seem to last nearly indefinitely. When a decade
rolls around and you blow a seal--maybe it's time to upgrade?

> >The "Fat Frank" is a hoot, btw--but suited for a dry climate
> > as it's nature is to be free of fenders. It's like riding marshmallows
> > on top of breast implants.

> What an image!
>
> How often do you put grease in your roller brakes, Landotter?

As needed. I rode mine in severe conditions and about yearly for
Chicago commuters would be recommended. As needed for other riders.
Northern Europeans could probably go 2 years or so.

Jay Bollyn wrote:

> Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
> release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:
>
> http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
Sun Times?

On Mar 31, 11:17 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Jay Bollyn wrote:
>
> > Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
> > release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:

> >http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

> Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
> Sun Times?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Well, Tom;

If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

J.

Jay Bollyn wrote:
> On Mar 31, 11:17 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Jay Bollyn wrote:
>>
>>> Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
>>> release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:
>>> http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

>> Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
>> Sun Times?
>>

> Well, Tom;
>
> If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

Well, the rubber bands look like the one's the United States Postal
Service uses - the ones the Tribune used to use were narrower and green.

Would not the classic chromed steel pant clips be appropriate for riding
a proper city bicycle such as the Electra?

On Apr 1, 2:02 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Jay Bollyn wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 11:17 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
> >> Sun Times?

> > Well, Tom;

> > If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

> Well, the rubber bands look like the one's the United States Postal
> Service uses - the ones the Tribune used to use were narrower and green.
>
> Would not the classic chromed steel pant clips be appropriate for riding
> a proper city bicycle such as the Electra?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps. Do you have a link?

I wear my gaiters most of the time. Except when the weather is just
too hot. The bands were just worn in a pinch. One of my girlfriends
thought they were a real hoot. She said, 'if I just had a camera'. So
I took the pic and sent it to her. She posted it on her facebook
profile. We get a million bands at work, from the USPS.

http://www.worldclassgear.com/outdoor_research_crocodile_gaiters.asp

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/browse/Gaiters/View All Gaiters.html

J.

Jay Bollyn wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2:02 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Jay Bollyn wrote:
>>> Well, Tom;
>>> If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

>> Well, the rubber bands look like the one's the United States Postal
>> Service uses - the ones the Tribune used to use were narrower and green.
>>
>> Would not the classic chromed steel pant clips be appropriate for riding
>> a proper city bicycle such as the Electra?
>>

> Perhaps. Do you have a link?

Why yes:
<http://www.google.com/products?q=pant+clips+cycling&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en>.
Similar clips should be available at a proper LBS.

On Apr 1, 6:45 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Jay Bollyn wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 2:02 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> Well, the rubber bands look like the one's the United States Postal
> >> Service uses - the ones the Tribune used to use were narrower and green..

> >> Would not the classic chromed steel pant clips be appropriate for riding
> >> a proper city bicycle such as the Electra?

> > Perhaps. Do you have a link?

> Why yes:
> <http://www.google.com/products?q=pant+clips+cycling&btnG=Search+Produ....>.
> Similar clips should be available at a proper LBS.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Tom!

J.