threaded-to-threadless quill adapter

Woody S

Jan 21, 2012
Has anybody used one of these? I have a 1 inch threaded fork that has stripped the threads on the fork. I am looking at the adapter option for about 12 bucks plus a stem. I already have some bars. Looks like it would be cheaper than a mis-matched fork and also give be a little extra reach that I am looking for. This looks like it would solve the stripped threads and extend the handle bars out some. Does this sound right? Any advice? It is and old caloi beach cruiser converted into a single speed Mountain bike. Strange but fun to ride.....

The quill adapters i have seen are just to provide a modern mount for handle bars like a threadless, but on a bike that has a threaded stem. To my knowledge there are none that do what you are looking for......

Woody S said:
That is what I want ..I am going to ditch the old stem and handle bars
ahh, so the threads on the QUILL are stripped.... I took your post to mean that the threads on the fork head were stripped... Classic case of miscommunication... If thats the case they would work perfect for you!

My Fork is stripped ..I am thinking I still need to tighten it down against the bearings then add the adapter....I was wondering does the adapter hold down the bearings and keep the fork tight ...the more I think about it I will have a stripped fork the loosens up and breaks bearing with an adapted stem....

Woody S said:
My Fork is stripped ..I am thinking I still need to tighten it down against the bearings then add the adapter....I was wondering does the adapter hold down the bearings and keep the fork tight ...the more I think about it I will have a stripped fork the loosens up and breaks bearing with an adapted stem....
Yeah... You would need the fork to be sound before using the adapter... Unless you could figure out how to literally convert it to a threadless stem, but the cheap adapters wont do that for you....

Originally Posted by Woody S .

If threads on your threaded fork are buggered, you have two options:

1. See if the threads can be cleaned up and made functional w/ a thread chaser. Whether this can be done or not will depend on the state of thread buggering.
  2. Buy a new fork. I assume that your fork has a 1" steerer. You can buy a new fork with a threaded steerer, or you can buy a fork with a threadless steerer and mount it with an Aheadset type, uhm, headset. On the last bike I had with a threaded steerer, I switched to a new fork with a threadless steerer (i.e. that required an Aheadset type headset), and it's an easy thing to do if you're mechanically inclined. It's also a doddle for a bike shop to do. There aren't many options left for forks with 1" threadless steerers, but they are still out there.

As bogieboy mentioned, a thread-to-threadless adapter isn't going to help you at all if your fork steerer's threads are fubar'd.