Tire Life and Rotation

cityscapex5

Aug 2, 2004
Was wondering how long the Specialized All Condition Pro Tires or actually any tire would last on my Roubaix Pro and When is the optimal time to replace them?
Also what do you think about rotating the front tire to the rear to maximize tire life?

I've also wondered that since many roads are "crowned" we aren't usually riding with the tire at a 90 degree angle to the road surface. Would flipping the tire do much to spread the wear between the left and right sides? Maybe more theoretical than actual.

Back tires always wear out faster - more weight, more scrub, more skidding. In my experience tires always wear out in the middle, not the edge so I doubt if flipping them does any good even if there is some uneven side wear.

Front tires are much more important to handling and braking but they wear much more slowly than the rear. A good option for economy is to throw away the rear when it's worn, put the old front one on the rear and get a new front tire.

About half the time my tires get sidewall or tread cuts requiring replacement before they actually wear out… I keep my best "old" tire around to use if needed.

Slicks seem to last for about 2000-3000 miles on the rear wheel, probably double that for the front wheel. Obviously the roads you ride are a big factor.

It also depends on your tolerance for flats, if you really hate to get a flat, then it might be worth it to replace the rear tire after 2,000 miles, regardless of how they look.

Another approach is to get a new pair of tires at the start of the season.

Also, I too read the Sheldon Brown piece on tire rotation and I pretty much follow any advice that Sheldon hands out...

cityscapex5 said:
Was wondering how long the Specialized All Condition Pro Tires or actually any tire would last on my Roubaix Pro and When is the optimal time to replace them?
Also what do you think about rotating the front tire to the rear to maximize tire life?
How do you like your Roubaix Pro? I got one about a week ago, and I am in love with it!! Upgraded from a Sequoia.

skydive69 said:
How do you like your Roubaix Pro? I got one about a week ago, and I am in love with it!! Upgraded from a Sequoia.
I look for every reason to ride. I just got into road biking this summer and wasnt sure i was going to stick with it enough to drop that kind of money on a bike. Absolutely love it - now own Gaerne Carbon soled shoes, Atmos Carbon lined helmet and of course had to get the Cabon cage :rolleyes:. I live in the Oakland Hills and the climbing ability on the way up and the comfortable, controlled ride on the downhills is a double benefit. I find myself pushing the bike every time around corners, up hills, faster descents - so far i havent found anything that it didnt handle like a champ - if you have the wherewithal to own a bike like this don't pass it up.