Tire recommendation

[email protected] wrote:
> the pasela spoke of is not the t serv but the tourgard pasela
> harris doesn't list t-messengers- not tourgard- at lower widths
> the tourgard is a tire for around the block and a good front for
> commuting-excellent design balance in production
> if the wanna be gp racer goes for a slower tire the the TT is superior
> to the t-serve and tourgard
> apples and pears. the TT is cafe touring, mitty GP, touring in GT
> conditions-T-serves and schwalbes are grinditoutunderload
> anyway the problem stated seems anomalic due to overlooked factors??
> mark-add 2 slime liners!!
> this move shifts all flats to tube failures(rotate) and sidewall cuts

michelins aren't renowned for sidewall failure are they?

jim beam wrote:

> what achilles heels are those? i've used michelin pros [and pro race]
> for years and am anxious to learn what i've been missing. do share.

You've been missing the corner of Culver & University in
Irvine, CA, where my Pro Race suddenly decided it wanted
to be two feet to the left.

Larry Coon
University of California

jim beam wrote:

> what achilles heels are those? i've used michelin pros [and pro race]
> for years and am anxious to learn what i've been missing. do share.

You've been missing the corner of Culver & University in
Irvine, CA, where my Pro Race suddenly decided it wanted
to be two feet to the left.

Larry Coon
University of California

> Larry Coon wrote (of Vittoria Corsa whatever-they're-called):
>
>> Nice. Checking around a little, it looks like they are are as cheap
>> as $77/pr, plus $8 shipping. Not as cheap as you're getting them
>> buying in quantity, but not bad.

> Where'd you find that? I saw $48.99 each IIRC...

http://www.totalcycling.com/Product...yID/96/v/df510e7b-3df2-4474-9aba-aff71fc2a4c0

$31.70 per tire.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1062

$28.99 per tire.

Cat

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 06:11:46 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Where'd you find that? I saw $48.99 each IIRC...

>http://www.totalcycling.com/Product...yID/96/v/df510e7b-3df2-4474-9aba-aff71fc2a4c0
>
>$31.70 per tire.
>
>http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1062
>
>$28.99 per tire.
>
>Cat

Hi Cat, do you use these tires for training, or just for racing?

If it is your training tire, how many miles do you get out of rear
tire?

Being light weight, I'm sure that you are easy on tires, but I seem to
be too, at around 160lbs. I'm getting great mileage out of Conti Ultra
Gatorskins, but the older they get, the slower they seem.

Any info will be appreciated.

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 06:11:46 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>> Where'd you find that? I saw $48.99 each IIRC...

>>http://www.totalcycling.com/Product...yID/96/v/df510e7b-3df2-4474-9aba-aff71fc2a4c0
>>
>>$31.70 per tire.
>>
>>http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1062
>>
>>$28.99 per tire.
>>
>>Cat
>>

> Hi Cat, do you use these tires for training, or just for racing?
>
> If it is your training tire, how many miles do you get out of rear
> tire?
>
> Being light weight, I'm sure that you are easy on tires, but I seem to
> be too, at around 160lbs. I'm getting great mileage out of Conti Ultra
> Gatorskins, but the older they get, the slower they seem.
>
> Any info will be appreciated.
>

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

Jeff,
I use them for training, but if I were racing (and I might this year), I'd
use them for racing, too. I generally go through about 3 rear tires per
year and maybe one or two fronts, and I rode almost 11,000 miles last year,
so I guess it's around 3500 per rear tire. I could probably let them go
longer than I do, too, but I would rather be on the safe side.
HTH,
Cat

Sorni wrote:

> Ah, E-bay. Thanks but no thanks.

Well, to clarify, it's a store that does its business
(or at least some of it) via eBay.

> Bill "some day I'll take plunge...maybe" S.

Larry Coon
University of California

Cat Dailey wrote:
> I use them for training, but if I were racing (and I might this year), I'd
> use them for racing, too. I generally go through about 3 rear tires per
> year and maybe one or two fronts, and I rode almost 11,000 miles last year,
> so I guess it's around 3500 per rear tire. I could probably let them go
> longer than I do, too, but I would rather be on the safe side.

3500 miles per rear tire? That is amazing... I only get 1500 miles with
"training" tires on the rear... but about 3 times that much on the
front. Must be the way I pedal.

well-as a TT user, no michelins are not brought upin conversation-the
michelin in the TT category is less expensive, not technologically
advanced, and certainly a less serious tire.
but the GP club racer??? i dunno. i'm not a GP club racer.
the sidewalls have been discussed locally as a Conti TT weakness that
off course is actually a basis for the TT's GT status

the pasela panaracer is the bottom line category for an american $$$
rider

"Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Cat Dailey wrote:
>> I use them for training, but if I were racing (and I might this
>> year), I'd use them for racing, too. I generally go through about 3
>> rear tires per year and maybe one or two fronts, and I rode almost
>> 11,000 miles last year, so I guess it's around 3500 per rear tire. I
>> could probably let them go longer than I do, too, but I would rather
>> be on the safe side.

> 3500 miles per rear tire? That is amazing... I only get 1500 miles
> with "training" tires on the rear... but about 3 times that much on
> the front. Must be the way I pedal.

I got 3500+ on my Bontrager tires that came with my Lemond bike. I
replaced them with conti ultra gators....
Mike

"Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> writes:

> Cat Dailey wrote:
>> I use them for training, but if I were racing (and I might this
>> year), I'd use them for racing, too. I generally go through about
>> 3 rear tires per year and maybe one or two fronts, and I rode
>> almost 11,000 miles last year, so I guess it's around 3500 per rear
>> tire. I could probably let them go longer than I do, too, but I
>> would rather be on the safe side.

> 3500 miles per rear tire? That is amazing... I only get 1500 miles
> with "training" tires on the rear... but about 3 times that much on
> the front. Must be the way I pedal.

Depends on the terrain and the tire, I think. I get about 3000 miles
out of a rear tire, and front tires last until they just about rot off
the bike. Usually I am riding Continental Ultra 2000 700 x 28s. I
weigh about 200-215 (lbs not kg) most of the time. But the local
terrain is flat to rolling with no climbs higher than 600 feet, and
doing a lot of climbing seems to wear out rear tires more quickly than
riding on the terrain around here. I was amazed at how fast my rear
tire wore down in the Alps.

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:38:09 GMT, mike <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>

>> Cat Dailey wrote:
>>> I use them for training, but if I were racing (and I might this
>>> year), I'd use them for racing, too. I generally go through about 3
>>> rear tires per year and maybe one or two fronts, and I rode almost
>>> 11,000 miles last year, so I guess it's around 3500 per rear tire. I
>>> could probably let them go longer than I do, too, but I would rather
>>> be on the safe side.

>> 3500 miles per rear tire? That is amazing... I only get 1500 miles
>> with "training" tires on the rear... but about 3 times that much on
>> the front. Must be the way I pedal.
>>

>I got 3500+ on my Bontrager tires that came with my Lemond bike. I
>replaced them with conti ultra gators....
>Mike

Well, I have over 5000 miles on my Conti Ultra Gatorskins. The back is
squared of, but still has some of the decorative tread. The front is
still round, overall in excellent condition.

I got $80 in GC cards to my LBS, so I probably will try a set of Conti
4000. If the Vittoria's that Cat recommends came in 700x25, I would go
with them, for sure. I may still try a set. Before the Gatorskins I
had GCs, so I tried a set of Conti Attack/Force. I liked the ride, but
something tore a rip in the sidewall of the rear, with 400 miles on
it. I put about 1200 on the front, before switching to the Gatorskins.

My original wheels that came with my bike, still have the IRC Redstorm
Classics, which is not a bad tire. I've got a couple of thousand miles
on the rear and although I don't think I'd get Gatorskin mileage out
of it, I think it would go maybe 4000 miles.

Jeffrey Starr
All rights to the above text is reserved. No use
outside of rec.bicycle.tech, without express written
permission.

pasela makes a 'stradius' nashbar was selling at $20
given the japanese light design direction, a stradius might be at the
outer limits of mitty racer going toward light around the block

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:49:37 +0000, Jeff Starr wrote:

> My original wheels that came with my bike, still have the IRC Redstorm
> Classics, which is not a bad tire. I've got a couple of thousand miles on
> the rear and although I don't think I'd get Gatorskin mileage out of it, I
> think it would go maybe 4000 miles.

www.pricepoint.com has the Redstorm on sale pretty cheap: $15ea, or
$25/pair. The Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance at $22 might be a good buy
too.

Matt O.

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:08:59 -0500, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:49:37 +0000, Jeff Starr wrote:
>
>> My original wheels that came with my bike, still have the IRC Redstorm
>> Classics, which is not a bad tire. I've got a couple of thousand miles on
>> the rear and although I don't think I'd get Gatorskin mileage out of it, I
>> think it would go maybe 4000 miles.

>www.pricepoint.com has the Redstorm on sale pretty cheap: $15ea, or
>$25/pair. The Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance at $22 might be a good buy
>too.
>
>Matt O.

Mine are the Redstorm Classic, which has a wire bead. The Redstorm at
Pricepoint is different and has a kevlar bead. at that price, they
would be worth trying.

I have $80 in LBS GC cards, that I received for Christmas. So, I am
going to splurge, add a few dollars, and get a set of Conti GP4000 in
700x25. Or my second choice will be the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX
that Cat recommends. If they came in 700x25 rather than 700x23[or
smaller], they would be my first choice.

Odds are, if I don't get reasonable overall performance out of the
GP4000 and/or Vittorias, I will go back to the Ultra Gatorskins, the
new 2006 version. The new Gatorskins look kind of cool;-)
http://www.conti-online.com/generat.../race/ultra_gatorskin/ultra_gatorskin_en.html

Life is Good!
Jeff

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Jeff Starr <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:08:59 -0500, Matt O'Toole
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:49:37 +0000, Jeff Starr wrote:
>>
>>> My original wheels that came with my bike, still have the IRC
>>> Redstorm Classics, which is not a bad tire. I've got a couple of
>>> thousand miles on the rear and although I don't think I'd get
>>> Gatorskin mileage out of it, I think it would go maybe 4000 miles.

>> www.pricepoint.com has the Redstorm on sale pretty cheap: $15ea, or
>> $25/pair. The Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance at $22 might be a
>> good buy too.
>>
>> Matt O.

> Mine are the Redstorm Classic, which has a wire bead. The Redstorm at
> Pricepoint is different and has a kevlar bead. at that price, they
> would be worth trying.
>
> I have $80 in LBS GC cards, that I received for Christmas. So, I am
> going to splurge, add a few dollars, and get a set of Conti GP4000 in
> 700x25. Or my second choice will be the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX
> that Cat recommends. If they came in 700x25 rather than 700x23[or
> smaller], they would be my first choice.

You may find that buying by the numbers does not get results reflecting the
numbers. There are many people really happy with Vittoria, which may tell
you more than 23 or 25 on a label will. For my part, using the EVO-KX, it's
just super for a year round tire. I think they now have a new (?) one the
CG Pavé, more robust or better wearing or something. Bound to be wide
enough for you.
--
Sandy

The above is guaranteed 100% free of sarcasm,
denigration, snotty remarks, indifference, platitudes, fuming demands that
"you do the math", conceited visions of a better world on wheels according
to [insert NAME here].

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:52:20 +0100, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I have $80 in LBS GC cards, that I received for Christmas. So, I am
>> going to splurge, add a few dollars, and get a set of Conti GP4000 in
>> 700x25. Or my second choice will be the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX
>> that Cat recommends. If they came in 700x25 rather than 700x23[or
>> smaller], they would be my first choice.

>You may find that buying by the numbers does not get results reflecting the
>numbers. There are many people really happy with Vittoria, which may tell
>you more than 23 or 25 on a label will. For my part, using the EVO-KX, it's
>just super for a year round tire. I think they now have a new (?) one the
>CG Pavé, more robust or better wearing or something. Bound to be wide
>enough for you.

Sandy, do you know what the difference is between the CX and KX? Any
idea what the letters stand for?

Last time I had GCs I bought a set of Conti Attack/Force, which are
700x22front 23rear. I liked the ride, but hit something that tore the
sidewall out of the rear at about 400 miles. I put 1200 miles on the
front, and it was still in decent shape, when I put the Ultra
Gatorskin on the front.

If my LBS has the Vittorias, but not the Contis, I'll go that route.

Life is Good!
Jeff