Titanium axle quick releases

Phill P

Jul 9, 2006
I've found a source for 6/4 Titanium quick releases, but even wholesale they're rather expensive.

How much do other Ti quick releases cost? These are all 6/4 except the springs which are steel.

How many poeple buy after market quick releases anyway? The advanatges of Ti would be lighter weight than steel, tougher than Al, won't scratch/dent/bend in a crash as easily. Titanium is cool if you don't mind being labeled a weight weenie.

If they make springs for Yamahas and Ferraris out of Ti, why not skewers?

There's another non-silly reason they'd be good for skewers: no corrosion.

I've lost the springs off my quick releases, and they still work. I think the springs are made of steel as they are very small and thin, might be too hard to bend such a tiny thin Ti spring, and still not gain much.

No corrosion is correct, but you have to watch out for galvanic welding. Probably not an issue for quick releases but it is Al seat posts in Ti frames, and for Ti/Al combos for nuts and bolts. Wouldn't want to put a Ti bolt in your stem and have it weld in place! You need a special nickle based grease to prevent the corrosion locking the parts together.