Titanium or Aluminum Post in a Carbon Frame

friedmikey

Jan 20, 2005
I need a new seatpost for my TCR Composite. Aesthetically, the obvious choice is a carbon fiber post. But I’m not totally stuck on that. I know a titanium or aluminum post might look odd in a carbon frame, but if it works, well… or is that like putting Shimano on a handmade Italian frame? ;)

Are there any issues I should be aware of when using a titanium or aluminum post in a carbon frame? For example, corrosion or bonding issues? I know the carbon vs. titanium vs. aluminum vs. steel thing has been debated ad nauseam, so I’m not really trying to get into that. I am 6’ 4”, 165 lbs, and currently have about 220 mm of post showing on my TCR. I need a pretty long post with mild setback and it must have infinite adjustability (ala, Thomson). I’d like keep it fairly light, while considering strength for a compact frame. Cost isn’t an issue. Any recommendations?

For titanium, I’m thinking maybe Selcof 82x, Real Design Ti, Moots…
For carbon, so many choices…
For aluminum, maybe Thomson Masterpiece setback, ?...

Just don't use hydrocarbon based lubricants (oil or grease etc.) You can use dry graphite products or even rub a soft lead (graphite) pencil over the post pre insertion.

Jay.

well, you cant go wrong with a thomson.
not cheap, but the best equip never is.

i got a very nice "looking" CF post with my CF bike.
the adjuster was a real "pain" in the rear.
slapped in silver tommy i already had, and havent looked back since.
function beats fashion in every race.

6'-4" and 165 lbs: good god man, eat a few burgers, will ya!

friedmikey said:
Are there any issues I should be aware of when using a titanium or aluminum post in a carbon frame? For example, corrosion or bonding issues?
There are corrosion issues with aluminum when it is in contact with carbon. No such issues with titanium/carbon contact.

ThrillBilly said:
...6'-4" and 165 lbs: good god man, eat a few burgers, will ya!
Haha, I know. My nickname back in elementary school was “Chicken Legs”. Really loved that one. :rolleyes: Believe me, it’s not for lack of burgers and the like in my diet! I recently found out I’m nearly 6’ 5”, but I’m so used to saying “six-four”, that’s just what comes out.

Anyway, my biggest problem is a slipping seatpost. If this CF post slips one more time, it’s gone and I’ll put the Selcof 82x or Masterpiece in its place. I’ve taken every measurement I could imagine so that I can duplicate my saddle position.

Thanks for the tips from all. Jay, is the graphite to prevent the corrosion that gerardbjr mentions, or does it serve another purpose?