To put rigid forks on my mtb or not? That is the question.
The point is, I have a pair of rigid forks that are
probably around 3lbs lighter than the cheapo sus forks that
I have, and a) a lot of XC mtbiking involves going _up_
hill, and peddaling a lighter weight uphill is easier than
a heavier one (especially if it has to be done repeatedly
at the highest possible speed over the period of about an
hour) and b) I'm a fairly lightweight person and 3lbs
represents a higher percentage of bike+rider weight and
makes more difference to power to weight ratio for me than
it would for a lot of you lot - well, maybe something over
2% but hey, I'm talking about a situation where every
second counts! And c) my cheapo sus forks don't seem to
compress as much as they might for a heavier rider anyway -
I guess they have medium-weight elastomers in and even at
the lightest pre-load setting they still seem to skip over
the smaller bumps a lot.
Still, the sus forks absorb the bigger hits I suppose.
But are they worth it for that? I suppose that in
general, sus forks must offer more than just comfort as
people do race with them, but the question I have to ask
myself is, would _I_ be faster with _my_ rigids or _my_
sus forks? Are the sus forks doing anything useful or
just sapping energy? Hmm....
Rich