Todays Ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davebee, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    Todays ride saw me riding around 30-40 miles along the toepaths of the bridgewater canal, going southwest out of Manchester. The weather was nice, the toepath was much firmer than it has been in weeks. There were literally hundreds of fisherfolk out though. Just taking advantage of the nice weather or some kind of event? Most were really nice and had no problems getting out of the way and I had a little chat with one or two. A couple of others were moaning and whingeing about cyclists even though I was taking great care to be courteous. I saw one lad on a mountain bike though who was being anything but courteous, dangerously overtaking people (ie not giving them any kind of warning and just squeezing past) and I think I saw him run over some fisherdudes rod, which led to a small argument. Had half a mind to push the ald in canal, but the weather was too nice. It felt really good to get out of the city into the countryside. It has been a while since the only noises have been the trees and birdsong. Roll on next week!

    Tags:

  2. davebee wrote:
    > Todays ride saw me riding around 30-40 miles along the toepaths of the bridgewater canal, going
    > southwest out of Manchester. The weather was nice, the toepath was much firmer than it has been in
    > weeks. There were literally hundreds of fisherfolk out though. Just taking advantage of the nice
    > weather or some kind of event? Most were really nice and had no problems getting out of the way
    > and I had a little chat with one or two. A couple of others were moaning and whingeing about
    > cyclists even though I was taking great care to be courteous. I saw one lad on a mountain bike
    > though who was being anything but courteous, dangerously overtaking people (ie not giving them any
    > kind of warning and just squeezing past) and I think I saw him run over some fisherdudes rod,
    > which led to a small argument. Had half a mind to push the ald in canal, but the weather was too
    > nice. It felt really good to get out of the city into the countryside. It has been a while since
    > the only noises have been the trees and birdsong. Roll on next week!

    I have a cold so I did 30 mins at 20mph on the turbo. Again :-(

  3. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    davebee wrote:
    > Todays ride saw me riding around 30-40 miles along the toepaths of the bridgewater canal, going
    > southwest out of Manchester. The weather was nice, the toepath was much firmer than it has been in
    > weeks. There were literally hundreds of fisherfolk out though. Just taking advantage of the nice
    > weather or some kind of event? Most were really nice and had no problems getting out of the way
    > and I had a little chat with one or two. A couple of others were moaning and whingeing about
    > cyclists even though I was taking great care to be courteous. I saw one lad on a mountain bike
    > though who was being anything but courteous, dangerously overtaking people (ie not giving them any
    > kind of warning and just squeezing past) and I think I saw him run over some fisherdudes rod,
    > which led to a small argument. Had half a mind to push the ald in canal, but the weather was too
    > nice. It felt really good to get out of the city into the countryside. It has been a while since
    > the only noises have been the trees and birdsong. Roll on next week!
    >

    > --

    Went to Norwich today - 45 miles round trip, and a visit from the P*n*t*r* F*i*y at East Tuddenham
    to boot; first ever trackside repair - certainly not the last I'm sure!

    Frequent showers - thank goodness for water-proofs; wearing shorts and T-shirt underneath
    the waterproofs seemed a magic combination, I was neither hot and sweaty, or cold (except
    when I stopped).

    Still can't imagine doing a Century, but I'm working up to it.

    --
    Chris

  4. Madasu

    Madasu Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:07:12 GMT, davebee wrote:

    > Todays ride saw me riding around 30-40 miles along the toepaths of the bridgewater canal,
    <Snip>

    Out to Castleton today. Great ride but the walk back up the gorge was a killer.

    I thought cycling on the Bridgewater Canal was not allowed. Clarification would be greatly
    appreciated.

    --
    Mad

  5. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    Im not entirely sure it IS allowed. But I am nice to everyone and take care to only ride when it is dry, so I dont rip the toepath apart.
    might need to find a new haunt though :(

  6. Madasu

    Madasu Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:37:19 GMT, davebee wrote:

    > Madasu wrote:
    > > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:07:12 GMT, davebee wrote:
    > > > Todays ride saw me riding around 30-40 miles along the toepaths of the bridgewater canal,
    > > <Snip> Out to Castleton today. Great ride but the walk back up the gorge was a killer. I
    > > thought cycling on the Bridgewater Canal was not allowed. Clarification would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    > > --
    > > Mad
    >
    > Im not entirely sure it IS allowed. But I am nice to everyone and take care to only ride when it
    > is dry, so I dont rip the toepath apart. might need to find a new haunt though :(

    If you don't get anyone reacting negatively then I guess you should just go ahead and enjoy it. I
    love the canals. Macclesfield is my regular and a run over to Liverpool Airport on the Trans-Pennine
    Trail took me on the St Helen's Canal which was a wonderful ride.

    --
    Mad

  7. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "davebee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Todays ride saw me riding around 30-40 miles along the toepaths of the bridgewater canal, going
    > southwest out of Manchester. The weather was nice, the toepath was much firmer than it has been in
    > weeks. There were literally hundreds of fisherfolk out though. Just taking advantage of the nice
    > weather or some kind of event? Most were really nice and had no problems getting out of the way
    > and I had a little chat with one or two. A couple of others were moaning and whingeing about
    > cyclists even though I was taking great care to be courteous. I saw one lad on a mountain bike
    > though who was being anything but courteous, dangerously overtaking people (ie not giving them any
    > kind of warning and just squeezing past) and I think I saw him run over some fisherdudes rod,
    > which led to a small argument. Had half a mind to push the ald in canal, but the weather was too
    > nice. It felt really good to get out of the city into the countryside. It has been a while since
    > the only noises have been the trees and birdsong. Roll on next week!

    I'd have chased him down and made him apologise..

    Or at least explained to the fisherman that good cyclists don't do that......

  8. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    davebee wrote:
    > Todays ride saw me riding around 30-40 miles along the toepaths of the bridgewater canal, going
    > southwest out of Manchester. The weather was nice, the toepath was much firmer than it has been in
    > weeks. There were literally hundreds of fisherfolk out though. Just taking advantage of the nice
    > weather or some kind of event? Most were really nice and had no problems getting out of the way
    > and I had a little chat with one or two. A couple of others were moaning and whingeing about
    > cyclists even though I was taking great care to be courteous. I saw one lad on a mountain bike
    > though who was being anything but courteous, dangerously overtaking people (ie not giving them any
    > kind of warning and just squeezing past) and I think I saw him run over some fisherdudes rod,
    > which led to a small argument. Had half a mind to push the ald in canal, but the weather was too
    > nice. It felt really good to get out of the city into the countryside. It has been a while since
    > the only noises have been the trees and birdsong. Roll on next week!

    I went for pootle along the Spen Valley Greenway again. I actually say more cyclists the usual
    today, was that Andy Morris in Hunsworth ? Who was the cyclist near Whitely Garden Centre, Mirfield
    who laughed at me giving the middle finger salute to the twunt in the white Rover who shouted at me
    as he pass in the opposite direction. I had the fluo green jacket and the yellow & blue helmet.

  9. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    Where one fisherman had left his rod across the bank and wandered off (he didn't have one of those funky seat things) I ended up getting off the bike, lifting it over his rod, stepping over the rod myself and getting back on when I saw some bloke who I assumed to be the owner running frantically towards me. He actually stopped me and thanked me in a genuinley grateful way for being careful. I find that really rewarding. Much better to slow down and be friendly than to be selfish!

  10. Frobnitz

    Frobnitz Guest

  11. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > I went for pootle along the Spen Valley Greenway again. I actually say more cyclists the usual
    > today, was that Andy Morris in Hunsworth ? Who was the cyclist near Whitely Garden Centre,
    > Mirfield who laughed at me giving the middle finger salute to the twunt in the white Rover who
    > shouted at me as he pass in the opposite direction. I had the fluo green jacket and the yellow &
    > blue helmet.

    Not me. Its half term so I'm on loving father duty. If you see someone going up or down hunsworth
    lane on a fixe it'll be me.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  12. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    AndyMorris wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >> I went for pootle along the Spen Valley Greenway again. I actually say more cyclists the usual
    >> today, was that Andy Morris in Hunsworth ? Who was the cyclist near Whitely Garden Centre,
    >> Mirfield who laughed at me giving the middle finger salute to the twunt in the white Rover who
    >> shouted at me as he pass in the opposite direction. I had the fluo green jacket and the yellow &
    >> blue helmet.
    >
    > Not me. Its half term so I'm on loving father duty. If you see someone going up or down hunsworth
    > lane on a fixe it'll be me.

    Didn't notice the guys machine much, he was wearing orange and tan kit, looked like Bradford City
    colours so I suppose it was a Bradford Club. He was grunting up as I was cruising down ! It was my
    debut on that road by the way.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk