Toe Clips to Clipless pedals

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .
Riders with platforms need to weight both pedals simultaneously to keep their feet from flying off, thus forcing the legs to work against each other. Regarding feet flying off, I saw a lot of this during my first (and only) triathlon, in 1985. Several riders were stopped on the side of the road on one bare foot, trying to extricate a running shoe wedged between the spokes of the front wheel and the fork.
+1 Great explanations!

Serious cyclist need something to keep their feet on the pedals. Clip-less pedals and cycling shoes are certainly the way to go. But if you don't want to carry a "shoe bag" for your trip to work, the coffee shop, or whatever.... at least use a plastic toe cage (or a clip adapter). They don't cost much and you don't need to be racing get a foot in the front wheel. Particularly with road bikes as the wheel aren't as stretched out as they are on [say] a cruiser [bicycle].

Whichever system is used to keep feet on the pedals its always a good idea to practice track-stands. I slip my left foot free when approaching a stop... but then still try to just balance till I can ride off without dismounting to place a foot on the ground. Feeling comfortable to pause without pedaling can be helpful when a distraction leaves you stopped.... and still clipped in.

One of the things I did back in my toe clip days was to train myself (a lot of it is mental) to "pedal in circles". The closer you can get your legs to apply power in the circle the pedals are going to travel anyway, the more efficiently you will be getting power to the ground. Clipless pedals made it even easier to do this, and it restricted my (minimal) foot movement even more.

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

And sometimes they release when you don't want them to. Bode seems to manage that situation well. I don't. :) Another compulsive response from a user.

I have had a couple of pre-release adventures over the years but nothing bad. Just crank em down to 10.5. :)

Cheers for the responses, I decided to take the plunge and bought them, I find there great for sprinting, and they make you feel more professional, I think I go a bit faster but haven been able to judge due to bad weather since I have got them.

Just started using clipins this week and love them, a little scary at first but now I am in and out in a flash. I bought the cheapest ones on ebay Wellgo and use them at the loosest setting.

It's an old thread, but, there is no way in the world that I would ever go back to toe clips and straps, after using clipless. I shudder to think of what would have happened if I was cinched into my pedals, and they couldn't release, when I was hit by a car a year and a half ago. With clipless, they released and I flew clear of the bike, at least.

mpre53 said:
It's an old thread, but, there is no way in the world that I would ever go back to toe clips and straps, after using clipless. I shudder to think of what would have happened if I was cinched into my pedals, and they couldn't release, when I was hit by a car a year and a half ago. With clipless, they released and I flew clear of the bike, at least.
I shudder to think of what would happen to my circulation-restricted toes if I exposed them to the added challenge of tightening a strap around my foot. If I did that now, I probably wouldn't need to cut any toenails until August...

Originally Posted by elglide
Just started using clipins this week and love them, a little scary at first but now I am in and out in a flash. I bought the cheapest ones on ebay Wellgo and use them at the loosest setting.
Sorry meant Clipless

Originally Posted by AlanG
I just noticed that I have a photo of my old clip adapter. This made it possible to use sneakers in road pedals.

AlanG, good idea and where did you get these from...