Tom KKKunich is an idiot

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. from: http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/index.cfm?story=ON-20030326-001024-1149

    FERC: Enron, Others Broke Rules in California

    WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Enron (ENRNQ) and numerous other energy companies gamed California
    electricity markets in violation of FERC rules, staff of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
    reported to Congress on Wednesday.

    <snip><end>

    from: http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2003/03/24/daily26.html

    FERC says California was swindled

    The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Wednesday said California's deregulated electricity
    market was manipulated by some greedy power brokers and providers, causing skyrocketing prices for
    electricity, rolling blackouts and other problems leading to bankruptcy for Pacific Gas & Electric
    Co., financial distress for others, and an estimated cost to the state, its businesses and residents
    of $45 billion.

    <snip><end

    Tags:

  2. - and in Rome the Pope is decreed to be a Catholic.....

    Cheers! Stephen

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Always in there with the quote of what you're talking about I see. Testimoney of the FERC does not
    constitute fact by the way.

    "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgri[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > from:

    http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/index.cfm?story=ON-20030326-001024-114 9

    > FERC: Enron, Others Broke Rules in California
    >
    > WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Enron (ENRNQ) and numerous other energy
    companies
    > gamed California electricity markets in violation of FERC rules,
    staff of
    > the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission reported to Congress on
    Wednesday.

    > <snip><end>
    >

    > from:

    http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2003/03/24/daily26.html

    > FERC says California was swindled
    >
    > The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Wednesday said
    California's
    > deregulated electricity market was manipulated by some greedy power
    brokers
    > and providers, causing skyrocketing prices for electricity, rolling blackouts and other problems
    > leading to bankruptcy for Pacific Gas & Electric Co., financial distress for others, and an
    > estimated cost
    to the
    > state, its businesses and residents of $45 billion.
    >

    > <snip><end>

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > Always in there with the quote of what you're talking about I see. Testimoney of the FERC does not
    > constitute fact by the way.

    You may remember the administration claiming several power plants were being shut down purposely to
    decrease the supply but that didn't last long when it was shown that the Davis administration had
    called these plants up and ordered them to shut down.

  5. Jim Quinn

    Jim Quinn Guest

    You know I have heard this all before. Somebody in Washington or California declares that XYZ
    corporation is costing the Govt/Shareholders/State/consumers billions of dollars.

    After a lot of hearing in which a lot of politicians get free publicity the charges are dropped and
    nothing comes of any of this crap.

    The whole investigation is more about getting photo ops and sound bites than about anything being
    wrong. You are going to need a lot more evidence than has come forth to prove their case.
    Personally I think that most of the damage was caused by mismanagement on the part of the
    California State Govt.

    > from: http://www.smartmoney.com/bn/ON/index.cfm?story=ON-20030326-001024-1149
    >
    > FERC: Enron, Others Broke Rules in California
    >
    > WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Enron (ENRNQ) and numerous other energy companies gamed California
    > electricity markets in violation of FERC rules, staff of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
    > reported to Congress on
    Wednesday.

    > <snip><end>
    >

    > from: http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2003/03/24/daily26.html
    >
    > FERC says California was swindled
    >
    > The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Wednesday said California's deregulated electricity
    > market was manipulated by some greedy power
    brokers
    > and providers, causing skyrocketing prices for electricity, rolling blackouts and other problems
    > leading to bankruptcy for Pacific Gas & Electric Co., financial distress for others, and an
    > estimated cost to the state, its businesses and residents of $45 billion.
    >

    > <snip><end

  6. "Jim Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You know I have heard this all before. Somebody in Washington or
    California
    > declares that XYZ corporation is costing the Govt/Shareholders/State/consumers billions of
    > dollars.
    >
    > After a lot of hearing in which a lot of politicians get free publicity
    the
    > charges are dropped and nothing comes of any of this crap.

    The Bush Administration does not want this publicity. The energy industry is squarely in his camp
    (both Bush and Cheney come from energy industry backgrounds).

    > The whole investigation is more about getting photo ops and sound bites
    than
    > about anything being wrong. You are going to need a lot more evidence
    than
    > has come forth to prove their case. Personally I think that most of the damage was caused by
    > mismanagement on the part of the California State
    Govt.

    The energy companies intentionally shut down plants for 'maintenence' and diverted power supplies to
    other markets at times of peak power demand (hot days in the summer). The result was wholesale
    prices up to 2000% higher than normal.

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > The energy companies intentionally shut down plants for
    'maintenence' and
    > diverted power supplies to other markets at times of peak power
    demand (hot
    > days in the summer). The result was wholesale prices up to 2000%
    higher than
    > normal.

    This was all covered before. The enrgy companies are required to take orders from the California
    state government on when they can run and when they can't. They had recordings and paperwork showing
    that they were ordered to shut down for maintenance etc. at the worst possible times.

    But we all really believe Henry that it is all the fault of evil uncompassionate greedy
    corporations. And that is why Grey Davis has a recall running against him which will no doubt be
    successful.

  8. "Gary German" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > IMHO, the "real stupidity" was the Republican stalwarts who voted for Bill (say, what?) Simon in
    > the primary. Richard Riordan would have mopped up
    the
    > floor with Davis, but thanks to the Republican party faithful, they blew their chance.

    Ya, Davis knew that also. He spent much of his campaign chest in the primary with anti-Riordan ads
    because he knew he could beat Simon no matter what the $$ situation.