Took first ride outside in 4 months.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Alpha Beta, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    I have been spinning through the winter on my RANS Rocket. It was sunny and near 0 degrees C. So I
    decided to take the Rocket for a spin.

    1) I forgot how to turn. I forgot you had to lean into the turn. The bike just wanted to
    go straight.
    2) When I slammed on the rear brakes and I could feel the rear wheel slide on the de-icing sand
    which covers all of the road and I could feel it almost come out from underneath me.

    It is strange that you have to relearn how to ride the thing. And that near slide out is really
    making me think about shelling out the big bucks for trike.

    Tags:

  2. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    They say you never forget how to ride a bike, but perhaps they are wrong!

    "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been spinning through the winter on my RANS Rocket. It was sunny
    and
    > near 0 degrees C. So I decided to take the Rocket for a spin.
    >
    > 1) I forgot how to turn. I forgot you had to lean into the turn. The bike just wanted to go
    > straight.
    > 2) When I slammed on the rear brakes and I could feel the rear wheel
    slide
    > on the de-icing sand which covers all of the road and I could feel it
    almost
    > come out from underneath me.
    >
    > It is strange that you have to relearn how to ride the thing. And that
    near
    > slide out is really making me think about shelling out the big bucks for trike.

  3. Mark Stonich

    Mark Stonich Guest

    "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have been spinning through the winter on my RANS Rocket. It was sunny and near 0 degrees C. So I
    > decided to take the Rocket for a spin.
    >
    > 1) I forgot how to turn. I forgot you had to lean into the turn. The bike just wanted to go
    > straight.
    > 2) When I slammed on the rear brakes and I could feel the rear wheel slide on the de-icing sand
    > which covers all of the road and I could feel it almost come out from underneath me.

    The cure is to just ride all winter. I guarantee your reflexes will stay sharp.

    > It is strange that you have to relearn how to ride the thing. And that near slide out is really
    > making me think about shelling out the big bucks for trike.

    Better yet, shell out small bucks for an EZ-3 and park it come spring. Sure it's slower than a Trice
    but that just means less windchill. And it's one hell of a lot faster than your trainer.

    Of course then you might still forget how to ride. One winter we had so much ice I added a sidecar
    to my motorcycle. In the spring I took it off, to go riding with some friends. At the first
    stoplight I forgot to put a foot down, and took 2 of them down with me.

    Mark Stonich Minneapolis

  4. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > One winter we had so much ice I added a sidecar to my motorcycle. In the spring I took it off, to
    > go riding with some friends. At the first stoplight I forgot to put a foot down, and took 2 of
    > them down with me.

    So there is empirical support for the domino effect....

    I usta take a friend motorcycle riding in the mtns, and he would take me flying in his plane. One
    day, going up the mtn in my diesel pickup, hauling the bikes, one tank ran out of fuel so I switched
    over to the other. Supply pump is mechanical so I left the engine in gear so it would pump fuel up
    faster. We were headed up hill, goung slower and slower when I noticed my bud was getting really
    agitated. Finally he burst out, "Don't you think you should turn around while you still have some
    air speed?" :-0 He lived and breathed airplanes. He thought we were going to stall and crash!

  5. John W

    John W Guest

    > It is strange that you have to relearn how to ride the thing. And that
    near
    > slide out is really making me think about shelling out the big bucks for trike.

    I also have "trike fever". They say it is an expensive ailment to have, but the only cure is to
    shell out the bucks and get a trike. Sure like the idea of being able to ride up a steep hill at
    turtle speed and not have to worry about falling over from going to slow. Also like being able to
    make a stop without putting a foot down.

  6. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "John W" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I also have "trike fever". They say it is an expensive ailment to have, but the only cure is to
    > shell out the bucks and get a trike. Sure like the idea of being able to ride up a steep hill at
    > turtle speed and not have to worry about falling over from going to slow. Also like being able to
    > make a stop without putting a foot down.

    It depends a lot of "why" you ride, or if you could see that changing to be happy on three. I
    actually seem to be a bit faster on my heavy Tulpa trike than on my Haluzak. But have also not been
    a speed demon since I was about 23(it was long ago)and it isn't all that important to me. With the
    trike I am much more relaxed, shoulders don't pull up to my ears during those heavy traffic
    sections. One specific place, is an uphill near the interstate.On the trike there is less stress
    from the traffic because I'm not thinking about having to go fast enough up the hill without weaving
    or falling over and getting flattened. Terra trikes are now down in the range of the mid to upper
    "bike" price range. And they are nice.

    rorschandt Once you experience a Threesome, its difficult to go back to Two. (~:
    http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833

  7. What I found most interesting going over to the 3rd wheel is that you are probably no safer on 3
    wheels in traffic, but you are now forced to ride in a way that is safer. You can no longer ride
    close to the lines of parked cars and have cars pass you on your left...you ride out where the cars
    are. This stops you getting a car door slam into you. You are balanced better as you grow weak and
    tired while riding. You can pull over and rest in a reclined position without fear of drifting off
    to sleep and falling off your 2 wheeler. Less wear and tear on your cleats, no more clipping in and
    out for every traffic stop. You are far less likely to do stupid bike tricks like make sudden lane
    changes or U-turns. Less worry that someone will steal your cycle since getting into a tadpole comes
    with it's own learning curve alien to a DF rider. Tadpoles often have USS that confuses the guy who
    usually steals just DFs.

    When you 1st come to 2 wheel bents you get all this stuff about how different muscle groups are
    used, how your backrest is used to increase your pushing power etc. and my favourite is...you go
    faster on a 2 wheel bent because there is less wind hitting you in a reclined position to slow you
    down...the way the wind slows the DF rider. Then you lay in a Tadpole and there is even less surface
    for the wind to come into contact with and a new set of muscles are used. Your USS steering grips
    can be held much tighter and you feel more power for hills. You may not be going faster, but you
    feel as though you are and this is a good feeling.

    IMHO once you spend some time cruising around on a tadpole, you won't let go of the handgrips and
    return to a DF or 2 wheel bent. And for those who refuse to believe anything I say...take a look at
    how many companies are springing up who are making trikes. There is a reason for this growth in the
    trike market and once you ride with the 3rd wheel you'll understand why.
    ---
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "John W" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > I also have "trike fever". They say it is an expensive ailment to have, but the only cure is to
    > > shell out the bucks and get a trike. Sure like the idea of being able to ride up a steep hill at
    > > turtle speed and not have to worry about falling over from going to slow. Also like being able
    > > to make a stop without putting a foot down.
    >
    > It depends a lot of "why" you ride, or if you could see that changing to be happy on three. I
    > actually seem to be a bit faster on my heavy Tulpa trike than on my Haluzak. But have also not
    > been a speed demon since I was about 23(it was long ago)and it isn't all that important to me.
    > With the trike I am much more relaxed, shoulders don't pull up to my ears during those heavy
    > traffic sections. One specific place, is an uphill near the interstate.On the trike there is less
    > stress from the traffic because I'm not thinking about having to go fast enough up the hill
    > without weaving or falling over and getting flattened. Terra trikes are now down in the range of
    > the mid to upper "bike" price range. And they are nice.
    >

    > rorschandt Once you experience a Threesome, its difficult to go back to Two. (~:
    > http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833

  8. Gary Krause

    Gary Krause Guest

    Hi John,

    I too, have trike fever. I own two recumbents, so what do I need a trike for? I have never ridden a
    trike. My local recumbent dealer doesn't stock them and I would have to make a hundred mile trip to
    Denver to ride one. I keep reading about how fun they are to ride. Every time I think I will just be
    happy with what I have, something comes up to remind me of them all over again. I don't think it
    will ever stop.

    "John W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > It is strange that you have to relearn how to ride the thing. And that
    > near
    > > slide out is really making me think about shelling out the big bucks for trike.
    > >

    > I also have "trike fever". They say it is an expensive ailment to have, but the only cure is to
    > shell out the bucks and get a trike. Sure like the idea of being able to ride up a steep hill at
    > turtle speed and not have to worry about falling over from going to slow. Also like being able to
    > make a stop without putting a foot down.

  9. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Gary Krause wrote:
    > Hi John,
    >
    > I too, have trike fever. I own two recumbents, so what do I need a trike for? I have never ridden
    > a trike. My local recumbent dealer doesn't stock them and I would have to make a hundred mile
    > trip to Denver to ride one. I keep reading about how fun they are to ride. Every time I think I
    > will just be happy with what I have, something comes up to remind me of them all over again. I
    > don't think it will ever stop.

    I had the same thing happen: I became somewhat interested in trikes, but since I already owned
    two recumbents (a TE and a Bike Friday Sat R Day), I thought, what do I need with another
    recumbent? And besides, trikes weigh more, so they have to be really slow, especially up any sort
    of hill. And then I made a mistake: I let a friend loan me a Dragonflyer for a couple of weeks. I
    rode it several times, and thought, this is kind of fun. Second mistake: I took it on a
    semi-local event, the Hope Ride in Hope, Indiana. I rode the metric century route that day, and
    it was even more fun! Third and final mistake: I rode it up one of the steeper hills in
    southwestern Ohio. Not only did the two of us make it up the hill, it felt easier than I remember
    doing it on any of my 2-wheelers. So easy, in fact, that I occasionally shot some pictures while
    climbing! So, I now have two recumbents. One just happens to be a trike, a Greenspeed GTO. The
    two of us are heading for Bike Florida next week.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  10. John W

    John W Guest

    You guys are just causing this severe case of trike fever to get worse! I think there is only one
    way to cure it.

    John

    "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Gary Krause wrote:
    > > Hi John,
    > >
    > > I too, have trike fever. I own two recumbents, so what do I need a
    trike
    > > for? I have never ridden a trike. My local recumbent dealer doesn't stock them and I would have
    > > to make a hundred mile trip to Denver to ride one. I keep reading about how fun they are to
    > > ride. Every time I think I will just be happy with what I have, something comes up to remind me
    > > of them all over again. I don't think it will ever stop.
    > >

    > I had the same thing happen: I became somewhat interested in trikes, but since I already owned
    > two recumbents (a TE and a Bike Friday Sat R Day), I thought, what do I need with another
    > recumbent? And besides, trikes weigh more, so they have to be really slow, especially up any
    > sort of hill. And then I made a mistake: I let a friend loan me a Dragonflyer for a couple of
    > weeks. I rode it several times, and thought, this is kind of fun. Second mistake: I took it on
    > a semi-local event, the Hope Ride in Hope, Indiana. I rode the metric century route that day,
    > and it was even more fun! Third and final mistake: I rode it up one of the steeper hills in
    > southwestern Ohio. Not only did the two of us make it up the hill, it felt easier than I
    > remember doing it on any of my 2-wheelers. So easy, in fact, that I occasionally shot some
    > pictures while climbing! So, I now have two recumbents. One just happens to be a trike, a
    > Greenspeed GTO. The two of us are heading for Bike Florida next week.
    >

    > --
    > Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  11. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I cured my "trike fever" last year... purchased a Trice Micro in Jan 2002, received it in May 2002,
    and have enjoyed every mile ridden with it - so far, 4200 miles and counting.

    One thing I did last year (and will do again this year) is ride in the Seattle WA to Portland OR
    bicycle classic (for those new, it is a 200 mile organized bike ride. I completed the ride in a
    single day, and plan to do so this year.

  12. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    My biggest fear is that if I buy one, some punk is going to try to steal it or damage it out of
    spite. "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I cured my "trike fever" last year... purchased a Trice Micro in Jan 2002, received it in May
    > 2002, and have enjoyed every mile ridden with it - so far, 4200 miles and counting.
    >
    > One thing I did last year (and will do again this year) is ride in the Seattle WA to Portland OR
    > bicycle classic (for those new, it is a 200 mile organized bike ride. I completed the ride in a
    > single day, and plan to do so this year.

  13. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What I found most interesting going over to the 3rd wheel is that you are probably no safer on 3
    > wheels in traffic, but you are now forced to ride in a way that is safer. You can no longer ride
    > close to the lines of parked cars and have cars pass you on your left...you ride out where the
    > cars are. This stops you getting a car door slam into you. You are balanced better as you grow
    > weak and tired while riding. You can pull over and rest in a reclined position without fear of
    > drifting off to sleep and falling off your 2 wheeler. Less wear and tear on your cleats, no more
    > clipping in and out for every traffic stop. You are far less likely to do stupid bike tricks like
    > make sudden lane changes or U-turns.

    Not everyone is less likely to do sudden turns, U turns, etc. The S&B Venice Beach trike kept me
    more sedate (before and after the motor boost as added), but the TerraTrike is extremely
    responsive- allowing me to zoom away from Stop signs after a full stop, arm signal and turn w ithin
    seconds, etc.

    The motor boost is an equalizer with $3. gas! Not to mention hills!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.