Tour de France

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tjf, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Tjf

    Tjf Guest

    Anyone been to see the tour live? In particular Alp D'Huez. I'd like to know where best to see the
    action, time to go up and how to get up to the hairpin bend section etc. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    I went in 2001 and did Alp D'Huez. I was about half way up the hill. That's because if you want a
    prime location, you better get there a day or two ahead. People camp out for days just to see a few
    seconds of the climb. Of course the riders are pretty split up by then, but the experience is one
    you'll NEVER forget. Most of the final part of the climb are switch backs to pick point. The top
    will be REAL full of people. Bring food and water (although there are some who sell for big $$$ on
    the hill) They usually close the hill in the morning 8pm or so. So if you walking enjoy your climb.
    They pelaton doesn't usually arrive until about 3-4 in the afternoon. So you see you have plenty of
    time to party meet people around you (which is as much fun as the race) So many Nationalities and so
    much fun! Hope you enjoy and this year should be even more special. Also check with some touring
    Companies...they would know too!

  3. TJF wrote:

    > Anyone been to see the tour live?

    No. All those "spectators" you see on TV are actually cardboard props. We didn't go to the
    moon either.