Tour d'Etape 2014

Wife of cyclist

Nov 27, 2013
I would like to book my husband a place on the 2014 Tour d'Etape for his birthday. Does anybody have any recommendations for companies that organize this, including a guaranteed place on the Tour? We live in the US, but have family in the UK and Ireland, so we could organize the trip from either the US or England.

Thank you for your help.

Originally Posted by Wife of cyclist
I would like to book my husband a place on the 2014 Tour d'Etape for his birthday. Does anybody have any recommendations for companies that organize this, including a guaranteed place on the Tour? We live in the US, but have family in the UK and Ireland, so we could organize the trip from either the US or England.

Thank you for your help.
I'm not aware of companies "block booking reserve places" at L'Etape.

When I registered to do it, I had to personally register in order to do L'Etape du Tour.
Places were at a premium (this was in 2005) back then and you had to have undergone a certified medical examination and have proof of same with your application.

With the explosion of interest in the sport, I'd say places are even more at a premium these days

I'll link the Etape site for more details http://www.letapedutour.com/ET1/us/homepage.html

Thank you for your help, Limerickman. This is supposed to be a surprise for his birthday in December, so I don't quite know how I'm going to get his medical examination done without him realizing...

I have had this in mind for years (this is a big birthday), so I have been pushing his cycling sneakily over the summer. Whenever he said he wanted to go out for a couple of hours, I'd tell him to go for five or six hours and not hurry back!

I might need to tell him early so I can get everything organized.

Thank you for your help, Limerickman. This is supposed to be a surprise for his birthday in December, so I don't quite know how I'm going to get his medical examination done without him realizing...

I have had this in mind for years (this is a big birthday), so I have been pushing his cycling sneakily over the summer. Whenever he said he wanted to go out for a couple of hours, I'd tell him to go for five or six hours and not hurry back!

I might need to tell him early so I can get everything organized.
You're welcome : even if my information is scuppering your plans for your husband's birthday present
sad.png

Yes, it's the L'etape requires all participants to have undergone a certified medical examination before they can register to take part.
Obviously this undermines your plans to surprise your husband though.

And I think that registration for 2014 may be closed : perhaps there are other events that you and your husband might consider?

It is closed already?? I thought it was only just opening - I've been trying to keep an eye on it :-( ****.

I've just booked him an appt with his doctor for a physical with instructions the the doctor is not to tell him why he needs the exam!

Well, he's a big boy, so if I need to tell him early, it won't be too much of an issue.

It is closed already?? I thought it was only just opening - I've been trying to keep an eye on it :-( ****.

I've just booked him an appt with his doctor for a physical with instructions the the doctor is not to tell him why he needs the exam!

Well, he's a big boy, so if I need to tell him early, it won't be too much of an issue.
My mistake, entries are not closed for 2014. I was looking at 2013 version, which is obviously closed.

This link to the Etape website might be of interest http://www.letapedutour.com/ET1/us/details_tarifs.html

That's a relief, Limerickman! As an novice as regards booking cycling tours, I appreciate any experienced comments :)

I am trying to book this along with my husband's brother (also a keen cyclist) to add to the birthday surprise. Sibling rivalry, much?!

I have forwarded your link along to my BIL and we will get it sorted and booked ASAP.

Thank you for your help