Tour Down Under - Challenge Tour Jan '07

BryanM

Sep 30, 2006
Anyone ridden up Kerby Hill between Ashbourne & Victor Harbour before?
I see thats part of the Challenge Tour ride (Be Active) & noticed from the elevation map that from bottom to top its around 300m upwards over 3-4kms or so. Thats the hill the big boys have the King of the Mountain stage.
I am thinking of doing the 84km run - anyone else?

Well I did a 72km ride this morning from Aberfoyle Pk-Darlington-McClaren Vale & back the same way home to Aberfoyle Pk, along the veloway & I am wrapped I could do that, so I might not rule out the full ride just yet. That veloway is awesome !!!!
It took me just on 3 hours so I might be looking at 5 hours minimum to do the full ride going at that rate. See how the next few weeks go. Are you doing the full ride?

BryanM said:
Well I did a 72km ride this morning from Aberfoyle Pk-Darlington-McClaren Vale & back the same way home to Aberfoyle Pk, along the veloway & I am wrapped I could do that, so I might not rule out the full ride just yet. That veloway is awesome !!!!
It took me just on 3 hours so I might be looking at 5 hours minimum to do the full ride going at that rate. See how the next few weeks go. Are you doing the full ride?
Challenge tour is in 3 months hey? youll be on track to do the full ride, i plan on doing the full one myself, going to see how i go in next months sea to vines :D

howdy,
im thinking about doing this also, missed the ATB ride so am thinking 128km should be good.

that said, i just got into cycling a few months ago and havent done more than 80km or so in a day. any tips for getting ready for that kind of distance? anybody got any course-specific hints that might help? from what it seems, apart from that long hill, its mostly a downhill ride (helps to start at the top of a hill and finish at the sea, i guess)

atcm6 said:
howdy,
im thinking about doing this also, missed the ATB ride so am thinking 128km should be good.

that said, i just got into cycling a few months ago and havent done more than 80km or so in a day. any tips for getting ready for that kind of distance? anybody got any course-specific hints that might help? from what it seems, apart from that long hill, its mostly a downhill ride (helps to start at the top of a hill and finish at the sea, i guess)
oh, and travelling from melbourne to adelaide with a bike? does anybody have any idea of the cost of taking a bike to adelaide on a plane? would it be better to drive over?

atcm6 said:
howdy,

Sun block and carry lots of water it may be 40 degrees!

luke1972 said:
Sun block and carry lots of water it may be 40 degrees!
I have the usual water bottle attached to my bike but how to carry extras in a ride like that - backpack ? Just wondered what everyone else will do.

BryanM said:
I have the usual water bottle attached to my bike but how to carry extras in a ride like that - backpack ? Just wondered what everyone else will do.

They will have food/water stops where you can take on water and whatever food they are giving out. These stops are crowded so maybe stop at petrol stations or other shops if you do not want to deal with the crowds (if you are in a hurry) for a refill.

I would not carry a backpack as it will be uncomfortable if it is a hot day.

Can you carry one or two bottles on your bike?

atcm6 said:
oh, and travelling from melbourne to adelaide with a bike? does anybody have any idea of the cost of taking a bike to adelaide on a plane? would it be better to drive over?

Depends on the airline. If you can keep luggage to a minimum (20kg) you will not have to pay for the bike. I have driven from Melbourne before and it aint fun.

atcm6 said:
howdy,

If you can do 80km comfortably you will be able to lift to do an extra 40km on the day. It is the same as running a marathon (which I have not done). You do not have to run a 42km run prior to running a marathon (I would assume).

luke1972 said:
If you can do 80km comfortably you will be able to lift to do an extra 40km on the day. It is the same as running a marathon (which I have not done). You do not have to run a 42km run prior to running a marathon (I would assume).
yeah i suppose youre right, that said i think i should try and get a few rides of that distance behind me while the weather is between freezing and boiling point.

the water thing is another good point... i was considering carrying two bottles on the bike and another on my back. should be enough to get me between the rest stops. definitely pays to have ample water supplies on hot days

BryanM said:

If you can do that then keep training.... you've got heaps of time to get ready for the 128km option. If you can do a 100km ride a couple of weeks before the day then you should be fine. Just don't get too caught up trying to go fast, focus more on pacing yourself so you feel right.

I'll be doing the 128km option myself. I've done the ride for the past 2 years. Last year I quit halfway between Victor and Delamere because of the heat - I think I was getting heat exhaustion and was definetely dehydrated (it was 45 degrees that day). Hopefully it won't be like that this year!!

pardon the ignorance, but when is this happening? (dates).
i'll be in Adelaide for about 2weeks in feb, and taking the bike with me as i prepare for the Great Ocean & Otway ride (160km). if the timing's right this could be good to do the challenge down victor harbour way!

tell me more about this "veloway" too please.

as for airlines n bikes, the boxes are about $15 and you'll need to do some dismantling to pack it in them. head to the baggage collection at melb airport before buying a box as you can sometimes jag a leftover. i used to leave the box behind after every trip.
i now have a sci-con bike bag, but the airline neanderthal baggage "handlers" have still managed to rip one of the wheels off the steel frame inside the bag, and punch a hole into the side of the bag...

Archibald said:
pardon the ignorance, but when is this happening? (dates).
i'll be in Adelaide for about 2weeks in feb, and taking the bike with me as i prepare for the Great Ocean & Otway ride (160km). if the timing's right this could be good to do the challenge down victor harbour way!

tell me more about this "veloway" too please.

as for airlines n bikes, the boxes are about $15 and you'll need to do some dismantling to pack it in them. head to the baggage collection at melb airport before buying a box as you can sometimes jag a leftover. i used to leave the box behind after every trip.
i now have a sci-con bike bag, but the airline neanderthal baggage "handlers" have still managed to rip one of the wheels off the steel frame inside the bag, and punch a hole into the side of the bag...
The ride is on the 19th January 2007 - have a look at the Challenge tour link at www.tourdownunder.com.au - all the gory details are there. So maybe you could try to get over here a bit earlier & take it in.

As for the veloway I have only just discovered it but its been around for a few years now. Its a 2 lane bikeway with about 10kms or so banned for anything other than cyclists, & it the becomes a shared pathway lots of up & down to test you out (or at least it tested me out) & theres lots of nice scenery along the way to McLaren Vale in the south. The best bit is no cars !!!! In no time the path is winding through the countryside & theres even some greenery. I put my ride up on www.bikely.co if you want to have a look :-
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Aberfoyle-Pk-McClaren-Vale-Aberfoyle-Pk

daniels said:
If you can do that then keep training.... you've got heaps of time to get ready for the 128km option. If you can do a 100km ride a couple of weeks before the day then you should be fine. Just don't get too caught up trying to go fast, focus more on pacing yourself so you feel right.

I'll be doing the 128km option myself. I've done the ride for the past 2 years. Last year I quit halfway between Victor and Delamere because of the heat - I think I was getting heat exhaustion and was definetely dehydrated (it was 45 degrees that day). Hopefully it won't be like that this year!!
If there is a god up there, could we please have 20 degrees Celsius with a bit of cloud & no wind. 45 degrees is nuts - I dont blame anyone for pulling at at that rate & I am sure you werent alone - at least you got the jersey souvineer.

mmm... saw the January thing.
coming home for xmas, then a mate's wedding in feb kinda rules out a quick hop back for january... bummer!!
january will be all out preparation for Otway Odyssey (100km MTB - feb3) before focusing on the the Great Ocean & Otway Classic (march3).

atcm6 said:
Virgin Blue has a policy which states that regardless of how heavy your bike bag/box (with all your bike stuff inside of course) it will only take up 5kg of your luggage weight allowance.

Read here for more info http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInfo/travelInfo/atTheAirport/index.php?section=Baggage+Information

Qantas I believe work a little differently in that your bike is included in your luggage weight allowance.

More info here http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/sportingEquipment

Also if you don't have a bike box the Qantas one for $15 does a good job and is a good size.

Anyway once you know the rules for the particualr airline you are flying with it is relatively straight forward take your bike on the plane.

Sounds like a good ride :)