Touring frame?? Surly / Salsa

vinyl_theif

Mar 28, 2007
Hi all. I was looking at buying a touring bike & can't seem to find a bike with everything i need therefore will build my own. Just not too sure on best frame to buy. I first saw the Salsa 'Ala Carte' then i found the Surly 'Long Haul Trucker'

Has anyone else got any other suggestions for or against these frames, or know of any other frames that suitable for touring??

Mark :eek:

vinyl_theif said:
Hi all. I was looking at buying a touring bike & can't seem to find a bike with everything i need therefore will build my own. Just not too sure on best frame to buy. I first saw the Salsa 'Ala Carte' then i found the Surly 'Long Haul Trucker'

Has anyone else got any other suggestions for or against these frames, or know of any other frames that suitable for touring??

Mark :eek:
I suggest you visit the "Surly CC / LHT owners' group" in Google Groups. (Not sure of the exact wording of the group name, search around and you'll find it). There you'll get to know everything you need to know about the Long Haul Trucker.
The Salsa, however, is a mystery to me, can't tell you anything about it.
Anyway, the Surly is a one of a kind. If only in that it allows you to run up to 45 (or even a bit larger :)) tyres: a feat with a steel tourer frame, and a blessing for anyone planning to tour through real rough terrain (Asia, Africa, South America, etc).
A problem with the LHT is Surly is lagging behind with the production...so expect long lines!!
R