General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

TR: Domen Milwyn whodunnit

Started by Rudi Winter · · Last activity · 6 posts · 337 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 June 2005
Last activity
3 June 2005
Original author
Rudi Winter
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
337
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Saturday morning I woke up by the gale rattling my window. I had planned
    to go for a walk in the Rhinogydd, but the wind was just too strong to be
    comfortable with that idea. Apart from the wind the weather was ok-ish, and
    by lunchtime I decided I better go somewhere inland and nearer home: Domen
    Milwyn and the wilderness just south of it. Some photos are at
    http://users.aber.ac.uk/ruw/album/050528.html .

    Arriving at Cwmystwyth it looked as if it was going to be wet, but I was
    lucky and didn't have any rain all day. The village is north of the river,
    which is quite fast flowing just above the Ystwyth gorge. There where
    interesting patterns carved into the rocks by the water. Walking steadily
    up a track, then a rough path, then across open ground towards Domen Milwyn.
    The hill is a long rocky lump sitting on top of the otherwise fairly uniform
    moorland. The relatively small elevation of the ridge above the immediate
    surroundings make the summit cairn look totally out of proportion!

    On the way up, some helpful soul had marked a stile some way to the side of
    the path in fluorescent yellow to mark a good point to cross the Nant Milwyn.
    It had been dry for a week and crossing the stream would have been easy in
    most places, but after a week of rain this might turn out quite helpful.

    I didn't have much trouble with the wind on the way up, but on the summit
    I had difficulty standing upright in some gusts. Better move on quickly,
    although the views from here are stunning - it's as wild as it gets (and
    that just half an hour from home!).

    I turned south past Llyn Fyrddon Fawr, an ancient reservoir, and onto the
    Esgair Garregnawllyn ridge. The name suggests there might be nine lakes
    visible, but I could see only seven. Maybe the irregularly shaped Llyn
    Teifi reservoir contains several natural lakes. I had expected this to
    be very boggy, but it is extremely nice walking, much of the time on rough
    grass, and the views are excellent.

    It was getting a bit chilly in the wind by now, so I pressed on to the
    access road to the Teifi pools, and then onto the ridge between Llyn Hir
    and Llyn Teifi, where I stopped for a bite. Then circling around Llyn Teifi
    and across pathless and slightly boggy open country towards Loft Lwyd.
    The next four kilometres were a rather unexpiring slog along a rough track
    ending in a barbed wire nightmare just before getting onto the path leading
    into Ystwyth gorge. On the way down, I saw a dead lamb on the path. It
    had a bloody hip bone sticking out of the back; the blood looking still
    fresh and liquid. It was about 7pm - I wouldn't have thought foxes are
    out at that time of day? A few moments later I saw another walker (the
    only one I saw all day) with an Alsatian. Would the dog maybe have...?

    The final section led through the Ystwyth gorge with some nice views of
    rock formations in the water. Pont Dologau at the southern end is a
    kind of spaghetti junction of four bridges (an old and a new one each
    across the Ystwyth and a tributary). I missed the path here and went
    straight into the gorge, so I had to climb up steeply by 30m or so in the
    forest to get back to the path and then to Cwmystwyth, where I arrived just
    after dark.

    The first half was much better than expected, the second half was rather
    boring, and the gorge is noted for a repeat in autumn when there's more
    water.
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  2. Hello Rudi...
    It's a nice spot up there.

    Rich... Also Aberystwyth.

    "Rudi Winter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Saturday morning I woke up by the gale rattling my window. I had planned
    to go for a walk in the Rhinogydd, but the wind was just too strong to be
    comfortable with that idea. Apart from the wind the weather was ok-ish,
    and
    by lunchtime I decided I better go somewhere inland and nearer home: Domen
    Milwyn and the wilderness just south of it. Some photos are at
    http://users.aber.ac.uk/ruw/album/050528.html .

    Arriving at Cwmystwyth it looked as if it was going to be wet, but I was
    lucky and didn't have any rain all day. The village is north of the
    river,
    which is quite fast flowing just above the Ystwyth gorge. There where
    interesting patterns carved into the rocks by the water. Walking steadily
    up a track, then a rough path, then across open ground towards Domen
    Milwyn.
    The hill is a long rocky lump sitting on top of the otherwise fairly
    uniform
    moorland. The relatively small elevation of the ridge above the immediate
    surroundings make the summit cairn look totally out of proportion!

    On the way up, some helpful soul had marked a stile some way to the side
    of
    the path in fluorescent yellow to mark a good point to cross the Nant
    Milwyn.
    It had been dry for a week and crossing the stream would have been easy in
    most places, but after a week of rain this might turn out quite helpful.

    I didn't have much trouble with the wind on the way up, but on the summit
    I had difficulty standing upright in some gusts. Better move on quickly,
    although the views from here are stunning - it's as wild as it gets (and
    that just half an hour from home!).

    I turned south past Llyn Fyrddon Fawr, an ancient reservoir, and onto the
    Esgair Garregnawllyn ridge. The name suggests there might be nine lakes
    visible, but I could see only seven. Maybe the irregularly shaped Llyn
    Teifi reservoir contains several natural lakes. I had expected this to
    be very boggy, but it is extremely nice walking, much of the time on rough
    grass, and the views are excellent.

    It was getting a bit chilly in the wind by now, so I pressed on to the
    access road to the Teifi pools, and then onto the ridge between Llyn Hir
    and Llyn Teifi, where I stopped for a bite. Then circling around Llyn
    Teifi
    and across pathless and slightly boggy open country towards Loft Lwyd.
    The next four kilometres were a rather unexpiring slog along a rough track
    ending in a barbed wire nightmare just before getting onto the path
    leading
    into Ystwyth gorge. On the way down, I saw a dead lamb on the path. It
    had a bloody hip bone sticking out of the back; the blood looking still
    fresh and liquid. It was about 7pm - I wouldn't have thought foxes are
    out at that time of day? A few moments later I saw another walker (the
    only one I saw all day) with an Alsatian. Would the dog maybe have...?

    The final section led through the Ystwyth gorge with some nice views of
    rock formations in the water. Pont Dologau at the southern end is a
    kind of spaghetti junction of four bridges (an old and a new one each
    across the Ystwyth and a tributary). I missed the path here and went
    straight into the gorge, so I had to climb up steeply by 30m or so in the
    forest to get back to the path and then to Cwmystwyth, where I arrived
    just
    after dark.

    The first half was much better than expected, the second half was rather
    boring, and the gorge is noted for a repeat in autumn when there's more
    water.
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  3. Richard Layton said:

    It's a nice spot up there.
    Rich... Also Aberystwyth.

    Hi Rich - so there's two from our little part of the world on here!
    I used to tend to neglect our local hills until recently, but there's
    a few real treasures quite nearby. The bit south of Domen Milwyn is
    definitely one of them. I also quite like the Doethie area.
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  4. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:
    Richard Layton said:

    It's a nice spot up there.
    Rich... Also Aberystwyth.

    Hi Rich - so there's two from our little part of the world on here!

    Also seen in wales.cymraeg and uk.rec.camping is one Adrian Shaw who
    gives an .ac address for Aber. You're also local to a few amiable
    nutcases from the shed who have also dabbled in a spot of walking in
    their time - most notably (from my point of view) up Snowdon, leaving
    Pen y Pass at midnight...

    I gather the Tree House in Aber has gone the way of all things and
    stopped its lunchtime cheapish veggienosh in favour of making serious
    money out of 'serious' diners. Sad.

    --
    /
    Fran O(<|={
    \

  5. Fran said:

    I gather the Tree House in Aber has gone the way of all things and
    stopped its lunchtime cheapish veggienosh in favour of making serious
    money out of 'serious' diners. Sad.

    I'm not sure - it was still there when I last came that way but haven't
    been in it for ages.
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  6. It's still there... It's just down the roud from the shop I work in. They
    seem to have many more bottlesof wine going to recycling than they used to
    so perhaps they are concentrating on the posh noshers.

    Shame.

    "Rudi Winter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Fran said:

    I gather the Tree House in Aber has gone the way of all things and
    stopped its lunchtime cheapish veggienosh in favour of making serious
    money out of 'serious' diners. Sad.

    I'm not sure - it was still there when I last came that way but haven't
    been in it for ages.
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.