TR: URW Mini-Expedition. Capel Curig.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Judith, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. Judith

    Judith Guest

    (I'm sorry this is so long. I got carried away.)

    A small group of URW-ers (Me, Phil C, Fran, Thomas (Fran's son)) met
    up at Bryn Tyrch campsite on Boxing Day. I believe that the usual URW
    Expedition campsite is Dol Gam and I wouldn't recommend that we moved
    to Bryn Tyrch unless we decided to use the bunkhouses. The camping
    field was tiny and uneven but plenty big enough for the 4 of us.

    On Monday (Boxing Day) I did a two hour walk up to Llyn Crafnant and
    back. It was beautiful weather for walking. It was a bit breezy but
    very pleasant. There seemed to be several largish groups out and I
    couldn't be sure if they were "organised" or just families burning off
    the Christmas excess.

    I had already bumped into Fran and Thomas in B-y-C but, on the walk
    back to the campsite, I could see there was another car and tent so
    presumed that Phil had arrived but there was no sign of anyone when I
    got back to the site. I wondered if I could guess where they had
    walked to and try and catch up with them.... but then I decided that
    sitting in the car eating cake was a better idea. After a while I
    decided to walk along the road towards B-y-C and see if any pubs were
    open. I'd already checked the Bryn Tyrch and it was shut, so my
    dreams of beer and pub grub were in danger of being dashed. Just
    then, Phil, Fran and Thomas turned up and assured me that Cobdens
    looked like it was open. Phew!

    We then had the typical winter camping dilemma of what to do when it
    goes dark, so we thought for a couple of minutes......... and went to
    the pub. Lots of food, a reasonable amount of beer (as nobody wanted
    to be up in the night) and we were all tucked up in bed by 9pm.

    I woke up a few times in the night but I don't suppose that's
    surprising considering how early I went to bed. I was using my new
    down sleeping bag for the first time and was generally pleased with
    it. I did wake once with a cold spot on my back, but I think that was
    because I had rolled off my mat. Just before dawn, I awoke again and
    was a bit chilly but I tightened the neck baffle and was warm again.
    I was genuinely surprised when I unzipped the tent door (at 8 ish?)
    and saw that everything was covered in frost. Usually when camping in
    snow/frost I need to put my coat over my bag or put on more clothes,
    so I reckon the new sleeping bag was a success.

    In true URW Expedition style, we took forever to get ready in the
    morning. I was treating the weekend as a holiday rather than an
    "expedition", so was in no hurry to get going.

    Fran and Thomas decided not to walk with Phil and me and, with
    hindsight, I think they made the right decision! Phil had told me
    what route he was considering but I had obviously not bothered to look
    at the contour lines. We parked the cars along the A5 and set off for
    Ffynnon Lloer. The path was generally obvious apart from one bit when
    we found ourselves on the wrong side of a stream..... well, "torrent"
    would be a better word for it. I think this was my fault as I
    remember commenting on where the stream and path crossed but I didn't
    bother to pay attention to which side we should have been on now. I
    decided to head higher and higher in the hope of finding an easy bit
    to cross (all the time hoping that I wouldn't have to drop down
    again). Eventually we both got across without getting wet or slipping
    on the rocks which were either green and slimey or icy.

    I found the climb alongside the Afon Lloer manageable but was hoping
    for some flatter land soon. It then dawned on me that this was
    probably going to be the easiest bit of the day and that Phil was
    fully intending to climb up that big rocky thing to the left (Pen yr
    Ole Wen). Er.... right..... time to think of an excuse. No, can't
    think of one apart from "See you later, I'm *NOT* going up that!" We
    arranged to meet up on the ridge and I left Phil to do the scrambling
    thing while I trudged up the shallowest part of the hill to the NE of
    Ffynnon Lloer. I occasionally checked to see if I could see Phil on
    Pen yr Ole Wen and, eventually [What kept you, Phil?] saw him
    approaching the summit....... the cloud descended and I saw nothing
    more for the next hour. I had been quite happily walking on a compass
    bearing and occasionally refering to the map, but now I couldn't see
    any land features at all. I could blindly walk on the bearing but was
    conscious that there was no way we could hope to find each other by
    sight and the parting words of "I'll see you somewhere up there" were
    not going to be adequate. I got to where I thought the ridge was but
    couldn't be absolutely certain so I knew it was now time to get the
    GPS gadget out. I was about 20 metres short of where I thought I had
    been so used the GPS to get onto the "path" (such as it was) and edge
    back along it to the point that I reckoned Phil was most likely to
    pass. I still couldn't see much but had heard some voices and hoped
    that they had been the two people who were just ahead of Phil when I
    last saw him.

    I was now wondering what decisions I might have to make. Could he
    have passed by already? In which case there was no point me staying
    where I was? How long should I wait? Thankfully I could just make
    out a Big Grey Man about 30 feet away ..... and it answered to the
    name of Phil!

    We carried on to the summit of Carnedd Dafydd and took shelter from
    the wind while we had something to eat. My hands were frozen; I
    usually wear thin Meraklon gloves as I hate bulky gloves and find the
    Meraklons fine as long as I keep moving. As soon as we stopped, my
    hands turned to ice. I'll have to investigate whether over-mitts
    would help during a stop (or would that stop me getting the lid off my
    flask?) or if I need better gloves.

    The aim was now to walk to Carnedd Llewelyn but the weather was
    showing no sign of abating and we could only reasonably expect two
    hours of good daylight, so we decided to head back down the slope
    towards Ffynnon Lloer and retrace our steps back to the car which we
    reached at about 4:15pm. The light was definitely poor and I would
    not have liked to be in cloud/mist and having to scramble, so I think
    we made the right decision.

    Only one thing left to do - find somewhere that served coffee. We
    tried the Bryn Tyrch and found that they were serving food as well as
    drink. I like pubs that have Vegetarian *and Vegan* choices. Mmmmm,
    grilled halloumi bruschetta.

    I'm glad I made the effort to do some walking this weekend. It's so
    easy to get dragged along with the "sit in front of the telly for a
    fortnight" mentality. I could do with some new gloves and I think a
    cold-weather stove might be handy as the MSR Pocket Rocket suffered a
    bit until I wrapped my hands round the canister. So, a nice couple of
    days and a shopping list ..... what more could a girl want?!

    Judith

    Tags:

  2. Judith wrote:

    > (I'm sorry this is so long. I got carried away.)

    Long? Ha!

    > A small group of URW-ers (Me, Phil C, Fran, Thomas (Fran's son)) met
    > up at Bryn Tyrch campsite on Boxing Day.

    Glad to hear you all got there.

    > I was using my new
    > down sleeping bag for the first time and was generally pleased with
    > it.

    Which one is it again?

    > a stream..... well, "torrent"
    > would be a better word for it.

    Had it been raining? Or was it from melting snow?

    > the cloud descended and I saw nothing
    > more for the next hour.

    Did you have good weather apart from that? It's been non-stop sunshine in
    South Wales for the past few days, I thought it may have been similar up
    there.

    > I could blindly walk on the bearing but was
    > conscious that there was no way we could hope to find each other by
    > sight and the parting words of "I'll see you somewhere up there" were
    > not going to be adequate.

    This is not a criticism, just a suggestion for similar situations. If
    walkers ever split up and both have a GPS, then agreeing on a grid ref in
    advance would be a good way of meeting up again, just in case the visibility
    turns bad. Of course you could do the same with any recognisable point,
    like a summit, but with a precise grid ref you could rendezvous anywhere,
    like on a featureless hillside. To take the idea further, if a grid ref
    hasn't been agreed in advance, but you're carrying mobile phones, you could
    text a grid ref.

    > Thankfully I could just make
    > out a Big Grey Man about 30 feet away ..... and it answered to the
    > name of Phil!

    Maybe you were simply destined to meet! ;-)

    > As soon as we stopped, my
    > hands turned to ice. I'll have to investigate whether over-mitts
    > would help during a stop (or would that stop me getting the lid off my
    > flask?) or if I need better gloves.

    Wouldn't be a bad idea to carry thicker gloves for use during stops. On
    winter trips I try to make a point of keeping my gloves on. It can be
    fiddly at first but you can get used to doing everything with gloves on,
    even fiddly things like lighting stoves and so on. I've got gore-tex fleece
    mitts which are lovely and warm, but not very good for doing anything with,
    except holding walking poles. Too awkward to operate a camera with, so I
    rarely use them, but nice to carry just in case I really need them.

    > The aim was now to walk to Carnedd Llewelyn but the weather was
    > showing no sign of abating and we could only reasonably expect two
    > hours of good daylight, so we decided to head back down the slope
    > towards Ffynnon Lloer and retrace our steps back to the car which we
    > reached at about 4:15pm.

    Excellent timing!

    > The light was definitely poor and I would
    > not have liked to be in cloud/mist and having to scramble, so I think
    > we made the right decision.

    Definitely. There's no scrambling on the summit of Llewelyn, but it depends
    which way you would have come back. Not a lot of point bagging it in the
    mist/dark just for the sake of it, and I'm sure Phil's done it before,
    hasn't he?

    > I like pubs that have Vegetarian *and Vegan* choices.

    What's the difference?

    > Mmmmm, grilled halloumi bruschetta.

    Sounds nice, but I haven't got a clue what it is. Does having a cool name
    make it taste better?

    > I'm glad I made the effort to do some walking this weekend. It's so
    > easy to get dragged along with the "sit in front of the telly for a
    > fortnight" mentality.

    You've got a point. I really must make the effort to drag myself out for a
    stroll. It's such a nice day.

    Paul

  3. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Judith
    <[email protected]> writes
    > Thankfully I could just make
    >out a Big Grey Man about 30 feet away .....

    I had to read this twice Judith - you got me worried :)

    Great TR and it sounds as if things were that bit harder than usual.

    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  4. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Paul Saunders wrote:

    >Judith wrote:

    >> a stream..... well, "torrent"
    >> would be a better word for it.

    >Had it been raining? Or was it from melting snow?

    Not quite a torrent for those familliar with conditions north of
    Carlisle, but the stream was big enough to make crossing problematical
    if you were unsure as to whether rocks were covered in water or
    verglas. If we'd had gaiters on it would have been simple to just
    splash through.

    >> the cloud descended and I saw nothing
    >> more for the next hour.

    >Did you have good weather apart from that? It's been non-stop sunshine in
    >South Wales for the past few days, I thought it may have been similar up
    >there.

    Humph :-(

    I got bits of the panoramic view from Pen yr Ole Wen but that was it.
    Tryfan was going in and out of the cloud as we set off so I suppose we
    shouldn't have been surprised to find ourselves in the clouds on the
    higher Carneddau.

    >> I could blindly walk on the bearing but was
    >> conscious that there was no way we could hope to find each other by
    >> sight and the parting words of "I'll see you somewhere up there" were
    >> not going to be adequate.

    >This is not a criticism, just a suggestion for similar situations. If
    >walkers ever split up and both have a GPS, then agreeing on a grid ref in
    >advance would be a good way of meeting up again, just in case the visibility
    >turns bad. Of course you could do the same with any recognisable point,
    >like a summit, but with a precise grid ref you could rendezvous anywhere,
    >like on a featureless hillside. To take the idea further, if a grid ref
    >hasn't been agreed in advance, but you're carrying mobile phones, you could
    >text a grid ref.

    I thought we had agreed to meet somewhere on the path east of Carnedd
    Daffydd. Not a particularly brilliant meeting place in that it wasn't
    a palce. I remembered there was a shelter on one of the Carneddau but
    couldn't remember which. I was resoulutely sticking to the ridge line
    in view of the lack of path visibility...

    >> Thankfully I could just make
    >> out a Big Grey Man about 30 feet away ..... and it answered to the
    >> name of Phil!

    >Maybe you were simply destined to meet! ;-)

  5. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Judith wrote:

    >Fran and Thomas decided not to walk with Phil and me and, with
    >hindsight, I think they made the right decision! Phil had told me
    >what route he was considering but I had obviously not bothered to look
    >at the contour lines.

    Perhaps you mistook the closely packed lines for open access shading
    :)

    I re-measured the intended route last night and it came to 12.8 - I
    then checked whether I had Ozi set to km and it was so we must have
    been hanging about and or got a late start. The route I walked came
    out at about 9.5km

    >I found the climb alongside the Afon Lloer manageable but was hoping
    >for some flatter land soon. It then dawned on me that this was
    >probably going to be the easiest bit of the day and that Phil was
    >fully intending to climb up that big rocky thing to the left (Pen yr
    >Ole Wen). Er.... right..... time to think of an excuse. No, can't
    >think of one apart from "See you later, I'm *NOT* going up that!"

    Once up the steep rocky face that presents itself to Ffynnon Lloer it
    is an easy walk. The only tricky bit on that rocky face is a very
    simple enclosed scramble of about 3 metres where the holds though not
    enormous are positive and were clear of ice.

    >We
    >[What kept you, Phil?]

    Photography.

    >We carried on to the summit of Carnedd Dafydd and took shelter from
    >the wind while we had something to eat. My hands were frozen; I
    >usually wear thin Meraklon gloves as I hate bulky gloves and find the
    >Meraklons fine as long as I keep moving. As soon as we stopped, my
    >hands turned to ice. I'll have to investigate whether over-mitts
    >would help during a stop (or would that stop me getting the lid off my
    >flask?) or if I need better gloves.

    I was making do with my old sticky thickies with a hole in the finger.
    I found the good ones this morning in the pocket of my cycling jacket.

    >The aim was now to walk to Carnedd Llewelyn but the weather was
    >showing no sign of abating and we could only reasonably expect two
    >hours of good daylight, so we decided to head back down the slope
    >towards Ffynnon Lloer and retrace our steps back to the car which we
    >reached at about 4:15pm. The light was definitely poor and I would
    >not have liked to be in cloud/mist and having to scramble, so I think
    >we made the right decision.
    >
    >Only one thing left to do - find somewhere that served coffee. We
    >tried the Bryn Tyrch and found that they were serving food as well as
    >drink. I like pubs that have Vegetarian *and Vegan* choices. Mmmmm,
    >grilled halloumi bruschetta.

    Of the three pubs/hotels in Capel Curig the Bryn Tyrch is far and away
    the best, it has good lunch and dinner menus and they had sixteen or
    so malts chalked up too.

    >A small group of URW-ers (Me, Phil C, Fran, Thomas (Fran's son)) met
    >up at Bryn Tyrch campsite on Boxing Day. I believe that the usual URW
    >Expedition campsite is Dol Gam and I wouldn't recommend that we moved
    >to Bryn Tyrch unless we decided to use the bunkhouses. The camping
    >field was tiny and uneven but plenty big enough for the 4 of us.

    The main field was over the wall but even that is rather unflat and
    it's a bit of a hike to the facilities and the showers aren't free
    like the Dol Gam ones. It all boils down to how far you want to walk
    to the best pub in town and how close to the main road you can sleep.

  6. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

  7. Judith

    Judith Guest

    Phil Cook wrote:

    > Phil Cook wrote:
    >
    > >Judith wrote:

    > >>[What kept you, Phil?]

    > >Photography.

    > Judith wanders about a bit on her own...
    > http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1105.jpg
    > http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1106.jpg

    Tee Hee! I could have done with that arrow when the mist came down!

    > Walking in a winter wonderland
    > http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1113.jpg
    >
    > Descending towards Ffynnon Lloer
    > http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1117.jpg
    >
    > Pen yr Ole Wen and Ffynnon Lloer
    > http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/ffynnon.jpg

    Nice pics. I'll reply to the other posts (eg "What is a Vegan?") when
    I get home from work and don't need to use Google Groups.

    Judith

  8. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Phil Cook wrote:
    >
    >>Judith wrote:

    >>>[What kept you, Phil?]

    >>Photography.

    >Judith wanders about a bit on her own...
    >http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1105.jpg
    >http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1106.jpg
    >
    >Walking in a winter wonderland
    >http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1113.jpg
    >
    >Descending towards Ffynnon Lloer
    >http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/PICT1117.jpg
    >
    >Pen yr Ole Wen and Ffynnon Lloer
    >http://www.p-t-cook.freeserve.co.uk/Dec05/ffynnon.jpg

    Thanks Phil for this glimpse - very good considering the weather.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  9. theo

    theo Guest

  10. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:03:26 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I was using my new
    >> down sleeping bag for the first time and was generally pleased with
    >> it.

    >Which one is it again?

    Rab Quantum 400. Women's/short-length.

    >> the cloud descended and I saw nothing
    >> more for the next hour.

    >Did you have good weather apart from that? It's been non-stop sunshine in
    >South Wales for the past few days, I thought it may have been similar up
    >there.

    At low levels the weather was lovely; it just got misty/cloudy higher
    up (as you'd expect). I have walked in much worse weather but usually
    on my own when it doesn't matter where I am and I don't need to meet
    up with someone.

    >> I could blindly walk on the bearing but was
    >> conscious that there was no way we could hope to find each other by
    >> sight and the parting words of "I'll see you somewhere up there" were
    >> not going to be adequate.

    >This is not a criticism

    Oh, no? ;-)

    >, just a suggestion for similar situations. If
    >walkers ever split up and both have a GPS, then agreeing on a grid ref in
    >advance would be a good way of meeting up again, just in case the visibility
    >turns bad. Of course you could do the same with any recognisable point,
    >like a summit, but with a precise grid ref you could rendezvous anywhere,
    >like on a featureless hillside. To take the idea further, if a grid ref
    >hasn't been agreed in advance, but you're carrying mobile phones, you could
    >text a grid ref.

    Yes, of course. That's all common sense and I thought it all through
    in great detail after we'd split up! Hindsight, eh?!

    >> As soon as we stopped, my
    >> hands turned to ice. I'll have to investigate whether over-mitts
    >> would help during a stop (or would that stop me getting the lid off my
    >> flask?) or if I need better gloves.

    >Wouldn't be a bad idea to carry thicker gloves for use during stops. On
    >winter trips I try to make a point of keeping my gloves on. It can be
    >fiddly at first but you can get used to doing everything with gloves on,
    >even fiddly things like lighting stoves and so on. I've got gore-tex fleece
    >mitts which are lovely and warm, but not very good for doing anything with,
    >except holding walking poles. Too awkward to operate a camera with, so I
    >rarely use them, but nice to carry just in case I really need them.

    I like the idea of Buffalo/Montane mittens which I could slip over my
    thin gloves. Perhaps I should try a pair (in a shop) and then walk
    round the shop trying to open, undo, zip-up all the other things in
    the shop. That would give an idea of how practical they would be.

    >> I like pubs that have Vegetarian *and Vegan* choices.

    >What's the difference?

    Vegan is a stricter form of Vegetarian. No animal products are eaten;
    so no milk, no honey, no cheese, no yoghurt etc. Flipping difficult
    if you ask me.

    >> Mmmmm, grilled halloumi bruschetta.

    >Sounds nice, but I haven't got a clue what it is. Does having a cool name
    >make it taste better?

    Think of it as Cheese on Toast! (Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese which
    is very rubbery and becomes chewy when grilled. It's excellent as
    part of a grilled/fried breakfast. Bruschetta is a bread - made with
    olive oil, I think. The Vegan version of the dish missed out the
    Halloumi and just had grilled vegetables. My Vegetarian version had
    grilled veg, halloumi and a decent sized salad. I think the extra
    bowl of chips may have been over-doing it a bit!)

    Judith

  11. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:15:49 +0000, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>This is not a criticism, just a suggestion for similar situations. If
    >>walkers ever split up and both have a GPS, then agreeing on a grid ref in
    >>advance would be a good way of meeting up again, just in case the visibility
    >>turns bad. Of course you could do the same with any recognisable point,
    >>like a summit, but with a precise grid ref you could rendezvous anywhere,
    >>like on a featureless hillside. To take the idea further, if a grid ref
    >>hasn't been agreed in advance, but you're carrying mobile phones, you could
    >>text a grid ref.

    >I thought we had agreed to meet somewhere on the path east of Carnedd
    >Daffydd. Not a particularly brilliant meeting place in that it wasn't
    >a palce. I remembered there was a shelter on one of the Carneddau but
    >couldn't remember which. I was resoulutely sticking to the ridge line
    >in view of the lack of path visibility...

    Paul is right in saying that the only way to be sure that we both knew
    what we'd agreed is to specify a GR - or at least a specific place
    rather than a longish stretch of terrain. When we split up I hadn't
    even considered that I wouldn't be able to see you through the cloud.
    I'd assumed that even if we were a quarter of a mile away we'd be able
    to see each other and walk towards each other. That's why, when the
    visibility reduced, I decided that I should try to anticipate your
    closest point of approach and try to get there before you! (I gambled
    that you wouldn't vary from your planned route; I mean, if you
    intended to go over the top of a hill (whereas I tend to always go
    *round*) then you're more likely to stick to that route than I am.)

    Judith

  12. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:42 +0000, Phil Cook
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Fran and Thomas decided not to walk with Phil and me and, with
    >>hindsight, I think they made the right decision! Phil had told me
    >>what route he was considering but I had obviously not bothered to look
    >>at the contour lines.

    >Perhaps you mistook the closely packed lines for open access shading
    >:)
    >
    >I re-measured the intended route last night and it came to 12.8 - I
    >then checked whether I had Ozi set to km and it was so we must have
    >been hanging about and or got a late start. The route I walked came
    >out at about 9.5km

    We did have a late start and I further delayed us by being too chicken
    to cross the stream/river/biblical-flood.

    However, I was surprised at how short a distance we covered. From
    turning on my GPS, to help with nav in the mist, to getting back to
    the car I think I did 6 point something km. A quick check of the map
    shows that from the A5 to Ffynnon Lloer is only 1.5 km [1] so that
    would add up to about 9km.

    Judith
    [1] but about 300 metres of ascent which I reckon is quite steep.
    I've only got little legs, you know.

  13. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:35:09 +0000, Judith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>
    >Women's/short-length.

    <snip>

    I would have liked to be there, but I've been away on a mission (-:
    --

    Paul Rooney

  14. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > > I like pubs that have Vegetarian *and Vegan* choices.

    > What's the difference?

    Vegetarian can include dairy products and eggs; vegan has no animal
    products at all.

    > > Mmmmm, grilled halloumi bruschetta.

    > Sounds nice, but I haven't got a clue what it is. Does having a cool name
    > make it taste better?

    Halloumi is a rather yummy Cypriot(?) cheese that has a tendency to
    squeak as you chew it. Bruschetta is a sort of Italian bread type
    thingy - I think.
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  15. Fran

    Fran Guest

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:35:09 +0000, Judith
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > <snip>
    > >Women's/short-length.

    > <snip>
    >
    > I would have liked to be there, but I've been away on a mission (-:

    Shitting on somebody's front lawn perhaps?
    --
    Craig Oldfield

  17. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:44:10 +0000, Judith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >(I'm sorry this is so long. I got carried away.)

    By whom?

    <snip all the exciting stuff>

    > So, a nice couple of days and a shopping list ..... what more could
    > a girl want?!

    Thanks for the [TR] Judith, enjoyed reading it :)

  18. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:41:01 +0000, Judith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Paul is right in saying that the only way to be sure that we both knew
    >what we'd agreed is to specify a GR - or at least a specific place
    >rather than a longish stretch of terrain.

    You could go the whole hog an specify a time [window] as well, with
    fall-back options :)

    Or, if it was looking like you were going to miss the tea shop just
    call the day and head off.

    "Aw, he'll be alright" means you've at least considered his safety ;-)

    Hey... you two... wotchoo doing walking /alone!/, doncha know its far
    too dangerous!!!

  19. Judith wrote:

    > At low levels the weather was lovely;

    That's okay then.

    >> This is not a criticism

    > Oh, no? ;-)

    No, similar things have happened to me. I've arranged rendezvous with
    people and failed to meet up with them. When camping with Phil in the
    Moelwyns I wandered off taking photos in the morning and didn't bother to
    take my GPS with me. I ended up on the main summit surrounded by a sea of
    mist. If Phil hadn't turned up I'd have had big problems finding my way
    back to my tent.

    >> , just a suggestion for similar situations.

    > Yes, of course. That's all common sense and I thought it all through
    > in great detail after we'd split up! Hindsight, eh?!

    Yep, so obvious in hindsight. The trick is to get into the habit of
    expecting the unexpected. Funny how one tends not to expect fog and cloud
    in sunny weather, even though we all know that mountains are prone to these
    things and that weather can change quickly up there.

    > I like the idea of Buffalo/Montane mittens which I could slip over my
    > thin gloves. Perhaps I should try a pair (in a shop) and then walk
    > round the shop trying to open, undo, zip-up all the other things in
    > the shop. That would give an idea of how practical they would be.

    In my experience mittens aren't very practical for doing anything other than
    holding a stick. I'd recommend something with fingers if you want to do
    stuff. Someone mentioned skiing gloves to me recently. Might be useful in
    situations where normal gloves would get wet. I've got some waxed cotton
    gloves which are rather good for rough/wet stuff and aren't too thick.

    >> What's the difference?

    > Vegan is a stricter form of Vegetarian. No animal products are eaten;
    > so no milk, no honey, no cheese, no yoghurt etc. Flipping difficult
    > if you ask me.

    Ah, so you're not one of those then?

    I've never really liked milk or yoghurt, and when I stopped eating cheese a
    while back I found that I didn't miss it after a while. Honey is sugary so
    that's off my menu anyway. I do like eggs though, and they are very good
    for you. Lots of anti-oxidants in the yolk IIRC.

    >>> Mmmmm, grilled halloumi bruschetta.

    >> Sounds nice, but I haven't got a clue what it is. Does having a
    >> cool name make it taste better?

    > Think of it as Cheese on Toast!

    Is that all?

    > (Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese which
    > is very rubbery and becomes chewy when grilled. It's excellent as
    > part of a grilled/fried breakfast. Bruschetta is a bread - made with
    > olive oil, I think.

    Sounds interesting.

    > The Vegan version of the dish missed out the
    > Halloumi and just had grilled vegetables.

    That's just silly! Like a vegetarian Big Mac without the beefburger!

    > My Vegetarian version had
    > grilled veg, halloumi and a decent sized salad. I think the extra
    > bowl of chips may have been over-doing it a bit!)

    Nah, chips are okay.

    Paul

  20. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Paul Saunders wrote:

    >>> Sounds nice, but I haven't got a clue what it is. Does having a
    >>> cool name make it taste better?

    >> Think of it as Cheese on Toast!

    Well they did have rarebit on the menu, but cheese on toast with extra
    special bits added and a side salad would be a better description.

    >Is that all?
    >
    >> (Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese which
    >> is very rubbery and becomes chewy when grilled. It's excellent as
    >> part of a grilled/fried breakfast. Bruschetta is a bread - made with
    >> olive oil, I think.

    Bruschetta just means on toast.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Bruschetta
    In this case toasted ciabatta.

    >Sounds interesting.
    >
    >> The Vegan version of the dish missed out the
    >> Halloumi and just had grilled vegetables.

    >That's just silly! Like a vegetarian Big Mac without the beefburger!

    Well it would be grilled veg bruschetta actually.

    >> My Vegetarian version had
    >> grilled veg, halloumi and a decent sized salad. I think the extra
    >> bowl of chips may have been over-doing it a bit!)

    >Nah, chips are okay.

    This was a decent sized bowl of chips and in addition to the bread it
    probably /was/ overdoing it.