Tracing Aerial Photographs

Paul Saunders

Guest
What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my website?

Paul

Paul Saunders wrote:

>What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
>aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my website?

Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
copyright holder of the photograph.

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul Saunders wrote:
>
>>What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
>>aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my
>>website?

> Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
> copyright holder of the photograph.
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

Jhimmy

Phil Cook wrote:

>> What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features
>> from an aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced
>> map on my website?

> Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
> copyright holder of the photograph.

Would that even apply to marking the positions of the summits?

Paul

Jhimmy wrote:

> Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

Ha! That would be nice.

Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Jhimmy
<[email protected]> writes

>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Paul Saunders wrote:
>>
>>>What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
>>>aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my
>>>website?

>> Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
>> copyright holder of the photograph.
>> --
>> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

>Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.
>
>Jhimmy

I don't know if the law has changed (Official Secrets stuff) but a
special licence was required to take photographs of British territory.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> Jhimmy wrote:
>
> > Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

> Ha! That would be nice.

Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of several
houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them for silly
prices. That's your helicopter paid for, and of course you'll have
already got your landscape photos you wanted...

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

Fran wrote:

> Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of
> several houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them
> for silly prices. That's your helicopter paid for,

Really? Excellent! Then I'll just need a larger garden to park it in...
;-)

Paul

Paul Saunders wrote:

>Fran wrote:
>
>> Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of
>> several houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them
>> for silly prices. That's your helicopter paid for,

>Really? Excellent! Then I'll just need a larger garden to park it in...

You don't need a full size one
http://www.rchobby.co.uk/i_c_power_rc_helicopter.html

>I don't know if the law has changed (Official Secrets stuff) but a
>special licence was required to take photographs of British territory.

MArk Thomas did a s***stirring documentary where he flew a filming
model helicoptor from private land beside Welford bomb store. The
Military Police could only agree that it was a matter for the
landowner as long as the War Office airspace was not entered.

Richard Webb

Following up to Paul Saunders

>Would that even apply to marking the positions of the summits?

if you are just doing a general map like that then could you base
a sketch map on the OS, my experience was that using information
from a map (map references for instance), rather than copying the
map, to make a sketch map did not upset the OS, I asked and they
said OK. For other sketch maps you could make approximate copies
of *two* other maps (I say two in case there was an intentional
errors to catch copyright thieves) If you want more than a sketch
map then I don't know.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

The Reid wrote:

>> Would that even apply to marking the positions of the summits?

> if you are just doing a general map like that then could you base
> a sketch map on the OS, my experience was that using information
> from a map (map references for instance), rather than copying the
> map, to make a sketch map did not upset the OS, I asked and they
> said OK.

Not sure how you define a "sketch" map exactly. Surely if you sketch
anything, you're copying? Wasn't someone here told to remove a sketch map
once when he'd just roughly drawn a few roads and things, even though it
wasn't even to scale?

> For other sketch maps you could make approximate copies
> of *two* other maps (I say two in case there was an intentional
> errors to catch copyright thieves)

I really don't understand what you mean by that bit.

> If you want more than a sketch
> map then I don't know.

Okay then, I'm using software called 3Dem with free DEM data to produce a
basemap.
http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html

Although it can produce 3D images, I'm just using it to produce a 2D image
with height shading, so you can see the shape of the topography. GSV has
done this himself. Click on the link below and scroll to the bottom of the
page to see an example of what it looks like.
http://www.quik.clara.co.uk/maps/

As you can see, GSV has added some detail to it. I'm just wondering how
much detail it's practical to add without breaching copyright.

At the very least I want to add summits and area borders, but how much
further can I go? Can I trace rivers? Roads? Maybe mark a few villages?
I don't want to produce a fully detailed map, just to add a bit of extra
detail to get a better sense of where you are.

And like I said, I could do this by tracing aerial photos rather than OS
maps. Just wondering how much I could add before anyone objects.

Oh yes, rather than tracing rivers, I could just fill in the indentations in
the contour map, that wouldn't be copying anything, would it?

Paul

Following up to Paul Saunders

>Not sure how you define a "sketch" map exactly. Surely if you sketch
>anything, you're copying?

your copying, but not duplicating (I'm not a copyright lawyer
though)

> Wasn't someone here told to remove a sketch map
>once when he'd just roughly drawn a few roads and things, even though it
>wasn't even to scale?

Really!

I'm thinking of things like this
"http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/page67.htm"

It might possibly have based it on existing material that would
be copyright but its my own sketch.

>> For other sketch maps you could make approximate copies
>> of *two* other maps (I say two in case there was an intentional
>> errors to catch copyright thieves)

>I really don't understand what you mean by that bit.

Well, if it has two sources, it wont be the same as either.

>> If you want more than a sketch
>> map then I don't know.

>Okay then, I'm using software called 3Dem with free DEM data to produce a
>basemap.
>http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html
>
>Although it can produce 3D images, I'm just using it to produce a 2D image
>with height shading, so you can see the shape of the topography. GSV has
>done this himself. Click on the link below and scroll to the bottom of the
>page to see an example of what it looks like.
>http://www.quik.clara.co.uk/maps/
>
>As you can see, GSV has added some detail to it. I'm just wondering how
>much detail it's practical to add without breaching copyright.

I think it will either be breach of copyright or not,
irrespective of how much you do.

>At the very least I want to add summits and area borders, but how much
>further can I go? Can I trace rivers? Roads? Maybe mark a few villages?
>I don't want to produce a fully detailed map, just to add a bit of extra
>detail to get a better sense of where you are.

I might have the wrong end of the stick here, you are using
software to produce "their" map, so its their copyright, but they
say:-
"You are licensed to do whatever you like with the map, as long
as you do not charge for it (normal open source licensing rules
apply), and give due credit."

so I would have thought as long as you credit them and say "part
of this mapping was based on blah blah, they and I are not
responsible for any errors". Probably worth asking them if they
object to changes, although they appear to have already said its
OK to do what you like?

>And like I said, I could do this by tracing aerial photos rather than OS
>maps. Just wondering how much I could add before anyone objects.

I don't think the OS will object if you're adding *info* you
obtained from their maps, as opposed to copying their map

>Oh yes, rather than tracing rivers, I could just fill in the indentations in
>the contour map, that wouldn't be copying anything, would it?

Er, not sure what you're saying there.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

[email protected] said...
> Fran wrote:
>
> > Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of
> > several houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them
> > for silly prices. That's your helicopter paid for,

> Really? Excellent! Then I'll just need a larger garden to park it in...
> ;-)

Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

--

Fran wrote:

> Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

Not a flat one.

Paul

Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] said...
>> Jhimmy wrote:
>>
>> > Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

>> Ha! That would be nice.
>>

> Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of several
> houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them for silly
> prices. That's your helicopter paid for, and of course you'll have
> already got your landscape photos you wanted...

Helicopters are much too expensive. A tethered balloon or kite could
easily get a camera up high enough for good local low-level aerial
views. These days it wouldn't be much more expensive to transmit
digital pics back down so you could monitor them at the time.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an aerial
> photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my website?

I suppose it depends how much eg more than 50% may break copyright.

Use the free to use and copyright free NASA contour maps.

Nick

[email protected] said...
> Fran wrote:
>
> > Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

> Not a flat one.

So get a helicopter with bendy legs that can sit over the ridge. Insert
opening roof light that can be opened from the outside via a hatch in
the bottom of the helicopter, and Robert's your mother's brother.

--

Fran wrote:

>[email protected] said...
>> Fran wrote:
>>
>> > Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

>> Not a flat one.
>>

>So get a helicopter with bendy legs that can sit over the ridge. Insert
>opening roof light that can be opened from the outside via a hatch in
>the bottom of the helicopter, and Robert's your mother's brother.

Or just install a sliding swiming pool and palm trees that fall out of
the way :)

Following up to Fran

>> Not a flat one.
>>

>So get a helicopter with bendy legs that can sit over the ridge. Insert
>opening roof light that can be opened from the outside via a hatch in
>the bottom of the helicopter,

then all he needs is the "International rescue" uniform. Troy
Saunders sounds pretty cool.