Tracing Aerial Photographs

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paul Saunders, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
    aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my website?

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Paul Saunders wrote:

    >What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
    >aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my website?

    Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
    copyright holder of the photograph.

  3. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Paul Saunders wrote:
    >
    >>What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
    >>aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my
    >>website?

    > Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
    > copyright holder of the photograph.
    > --
    > Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

    Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

    Jhimmy

  4. Phil Cook wrote:

    >> What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features
    >> from an aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced
    >> map on my website?

    > Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
    > copyright holder of the photograph.

    Would that even apply to marking the positions of the summits?

    Paul

  5. Jhimmy wrote:

    > Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

    Ha! That would be nice.

    Paul

  6. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jhimmy
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Paul Saunders wrote:
    >>
    >>>What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an
    >>>aerial photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my
    >>>website?

    >> Your tracing is a derivative work and you have to get aproval rom the
    >> copyright holder of the photograph.
    >> --
    >> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

    >Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.
    >
    >Jhimmy

    I don't know if the law has changed (Official Secrets stuff) but a
    special licence was required to take photographs of British territory.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  7. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Jhimmy wrote:
    >
    > > Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

    > Ha! That would be nice.

    Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of several
    houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them for silly
    prices. That's your helicopter paid for, and of course you'll have
    already got your landscape photos you wanted...

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  8. Fran wrote:

    > Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of
    > several houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them
    > for silly prices. That's your helicopter paid for,

    Really? Excellent! Then I'll just need a larger garden to park it in...
    ;-)

    Paul

  9. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Paul Saunders wrote:

    >Fran wrote:
    >
    >> Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of
    >> several houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them
    >> for silly prices. That's your helicopter paid for,

    >Really? Excellent! Then I'll just need a larger garden to park it in...

    You don't need a full size one
    http://www.rchobby.co.uk/i_c_power_rc_helicopter.html

  10. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    >I don't know if the law has changed (Official Secrets stuff) but a
    >special licence was required to take photographs of British territory.

    MArk Thomas did a s***stirring documentary where he flew a filming
    model helicoptor from private land beside Welford bomb store. The
    Military Police could only agree that it was a matter for the
    landowner as long as the War Office airspace was not entered.

    Richard Webb

  11. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Paul Saunders

    >Would that even apply to marking the positions of the summits?

    if you are just doing a general map like that then could you base
    a sketch map on the OS, my experience was that using information
    from a map (map references for instance), rather than copying the
    map, to make a sketch map did not upset the OS, I asked and they
    said OK. For other sketch maps you could make approximate copies
    of *two* other maps (I say two in case there was an intentional
    errors to catch copyright thieves) If you want more than a sketch
    map then I don't know.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

  12. The Reid wrote:

    >> Would that even apply to marking the positions of the summits?

    > if you are just doing a general map like that then could you base
    > a sketch map on the OS, my experience was that using information
    > from a map (map references for instance), rather than copying the
    > map, to make a sketch map did not upset the OS, I asked and they
    > said OK.

    Not sure how you define a "sketch" map exactly. Surely if you sketch
    anything, you're copying? Wasn't someone here told to remove a sketch map
    once when he'd just roughly drawn a few roads and things, even though it
    wasn't even to scale?

    > For other sketch maps you could make approximate copies
    > of *two* other maps (I say two in case there was an intentional
    > errors to catch copyright thieves)

    I really don't understand what you mean by that bit.

    > If you want more than a sketch
    > map then I don't know.

    Okay then, I'm using software called 3Dem with free DEM data to produce a
    basemap.
    http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html

    Although it can produce 3D images, I'm just using it to produce a 2D image
    with height shading, so you can see the shape of the topography. GSV has
    done this himself. Click on the link below and scroll to the bottom of the
    page to see an example of what it looks like.
    http://www.quik.clara.co.uk/maps/

    As you can see, GSV has added some detail to it. I'm just wondering how
    much detail it's practical to add without breaching copyright.

    At the very least I want to add summits and area borders, but how much
    further can I go? Can I trace rivers? Roads? Maybe mark a few villages?
    I don't want to produce a fully detailed map, just to add a bit of extra
    detail to get a better sense of where you are.

    And like I said, I could do this by tracing aerial photos rather than OS
    maps. Just wondering how much I could add before anyone objects.

    Oh yes, rather than tracing rivers, I could just fill in the indentations in
    the contour map, that wouldn't be copying anything, would it?

    Paul

  13. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Paul Saunders

    >Not sure how you define a "sketch" map exactly. Surely if you sketch
    >anything, you're copying?

    your copying, but not duplicating (I'm not a copyright lawyer
    though)

    > Wasn't someone here told to remove a sketch map
    >once when he'd just roughly drawn a few roads and things, even though it
    >wasn't even to scale?

    Really!

    I'm thinking of things like this
    "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/page67.htm"

    It might possibly have based it on existing material that would
    be copyright but its my own sketch.

    >> For other sketch maps you could make approximate copies
    >> of *two* other maps (I say two in case there was an intentional
    >> errors to catch copyright thieves)

    >I really don't understand what you mean by that bit.

    Well, if it has two sources, it wont be the same as either.

    >> If you want more than a sketch
    >> map then I don't know.

    >Okay then, I'm using software called 3Dem with free DEM data to produce a
    >basemap.
    >http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html
    >
    >Although it can produce 3D images, I'm just using it to produce a 2D image
    >with height shading, so you can see the shape of the topography. GSV has
    >done this himself. Click on the link below and scroll to the bottom of the
    >page to see an example of what it looks like.
    >http://www.quik.clara.co.uk/maps/
    >
    >As you can see, GSV has added some detail to it. I'm just wondering how
    >much detail it's practical to add without breaching copyright.

    I think it will either be breach of copyright or not,
    irrespective of how much you do.

    >At the very least I want to add summits and area borders, but how much
    >further can I go? Can I trace rivers? Roads? Maybe mark a few villages?
    >I don't want to produce a fully detailed map, just to add a bit of extra
    >detail to get a better sense of where you are.

    I might have the wrong end of the stick here, you are using
    software to produce "their" map, so its their copyright, but they
    say:-
    "You are licensed to do whatever you like with the map, as long
    as you do not charge for it (normal open source licensing rules
    apply), and give due credit."

    so I would have thought as long as you credit them and say "part
    of this mapping was based on blah blah, they and I are not
    responsible for any errors". Probably worth asking them if they
    object to changes, although they appear to have already said its
    OK to do what you like?

    >And like I said, I could do this by tracing aerial photos rather than OS
    >maps. Just wondering how much I could add before anyone objects.

    I don't think the OS will object if you're adding *info* you
    obtained from their maps, as opposed to copying their map

    >Oh yes, rather than tracing rivers, I could just fill in the indentations in
    >the contour map, that wouldn't be copying anything, would it?

    Er, not sure what you're saying there.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  14. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Fran wrote:
    >
    > > Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of
    > > several houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them
    > > for silly prices. That's your helicopter paid for,

    > Really? Excellent! Then I'll just need a larger garden to park it in...
    > ;-)

    Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

    --

  15. Fran wrote:

    > Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

    Not a flat one.

    Paul

  16. Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] said...
    >> Jhimmy wrote:
    >>
    >> > Unless Paul hires a helicopter and takes the photos himself.

    >> Ha! That would be nice.
    >>

    > Yes. You make sure you have some very nice low-level photos of several
    > houses, and you hawk them around to the owners and flog them for silly
    > prices. That's your helicopter paid for, and of course you'll have
    > already got your landscape photos you wanted...

    Helicopters are much too expensive. A tethered balloon or kite could
    easily get a camera up high enough for good local low-level aerial
    views. These days it wouldn't be much more expensive to transmit
    digital pics back down so you could monitor them at the time.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  17. "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > What's the situation regarding copyright if I trace some features from an aerial
    > photograph and use them as part of a self produced map on my website?

    I suppose it depends how much eg more than 50% may break copyright.

    Use the free to use and copyright free NASA contour maps.

    Nick

  18. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Fran wrote:
    >
    > > Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

    > Not a flat one.

    So get a helicopter with bendy legs that can sit over the ridge. Insert
    opening roof light that can be opened from the outside via a hatch in
    the bottom of the helicopter, and Robert's your mother's brother.

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  19. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Fran wrote:

    >[email protected] said...
    >> Fran wrote:
    >>
    >> > Ehwot? Hasn't your house got a roof?

    >> Not a flat one.
    >>

    >So get a helicopter with bendy legs that can sit over the ridge. Insert
    >opening roof light that can be opened from the outside via a hatch in
    >the bottom of the helicopter, and Robert's your mother's brother.

    Or just install a sliding swiming pool and palm trees that fall out of
    the way :)

  20. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Fran

    >> Not a flat one.
    >>

    >So get a helicopter with bendy legs that can sit over the ridge. Insert
    >opening roof light that can be opened from the outside via a hatch in
    >the bottom of the helicopter,

    then all he needs is the "International rescue" uniform. Troy
    Saunders sounds pretty cool.