Track Frame

espo100583

Oct 26, 2004
Hi I'm new to this forum and new to the track scene.

I'm looking for a cheap track frame?? can road frames be used for a track bike?? or does it have to be specifically for the track. Can anyone recomend any shops in the manchester area that can do cheap frames for track use.

Thanks for your help

Phil.

espo100583 said:
Hi I'm new to this forum and new to the track scene.

I'm looking for a cheap track frame?? can road frames be used for a track bike?? or does it have to be specifically for the track. Can anyone recomend any shops in the manchester area that can do cheap frames for track use.

Thanks for your help

Phil.
Hi Phil

Put simply road frames cannot be used on the track:-

1/ Because the brazings (assuming there are some) are potentially hazardous in the event of a multiple rider fall. I do recall one being used at the BUSA championships some time back but the rider only got away with it because he was riding a pursuit and there was no-one around him during the ride.

2/ If the frame has vertical rear drop outs you will not be able to tension the drive chain sufficiently.

Regarding buying a bike, there is a notice board at the entrance to the rider's enclosure at the Manchester Velodrome. If you care to come in sometime, have a look to see if there is a bike or frame to suit you. Better still put an ad. up - it's free.

Tony O'Brien

Tony OB said:
Hi Phil

Put simply road frames cannot be used on the track:-

1/ Because the brazings (assuming there are some) are potentially hazardous in the event of a multiple rider fall. I do recall one being used at the BUSA championships some time back but the rider only got away with it because he was riding a pursuit and there was no-one around him during the ride.

2/ If the frame has vertical rear drop outs you will not be able to tension the drive chain sufficiently.

Regarding buying a bike, there is a notice board at the entrance to the rider's enclosure at the Manchester Velodrome. If you care to come in sometime, have a look to see if there is a bike or frame to suit you. Better still put an ad. up - it's free.

Tony O'Brien
hi phil there are 3 on ebay all seem to pretty much near to the manchester area depending upon what size frame you desire then here are 3 reasonably cheap ones, personally if i £400 i'd be building me the corrado but the missus thinks i have enough with the 3 bikes that i have already :D http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72573&item=7109174572&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Dolan and a
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7110177800&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Beautiful Corrado Pursuit Track Bike (micro)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2904&item=7109393936&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Zenith track

You can get a Fuji pretty cheap, their base model. Speak to the Bicycle repairman in Edinburgh - 111, Newington Rd, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH9 1QW
Tel: 0131 667 5959