Track pump recommendation

Andy Sinclair

Guest
I am in need of a new track pump following the explosive demise of my
cheap Vento one.

Requirements:
1. Presta and schrader capable without major dismantling.
2. Stays on presta valves during pumping.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for something reliable that
will work for years.

Any recommendations?

Andy Sinclair wrote:
> I am in need of a new track pump following the explosive demise of my
> cheap Vento one.
>
> Requirements:
> 1. Presta and schrader capable without major dismantling.
> 2. Stays on presta valves during pumping.
>
> I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for something reliable that
> will work for years.
>
> Any recommendations?

Toppeak Joe Blow, every time...

Tim

Sent from Birmingham, UK... all about me at www.nervouscyclist.org
'Now some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I
cannot disagree - but I never learned nothing by playing it safe - I
say fate should not tempt me.' - Mary Chapin Carpenter

Tim Dunne wrote:
> Andy Sinclair wrote:
>> I am in need of a new track pump following the explosive demise of my
>> cheap Vento one.
>>
>> Requirements:
>> 1. Presta and schrader capable without major dismantling.
>> 2. Stays on presta valves during pumping.
>>
>> I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for something reliable that
>> will work for years.
>>
>> Any recommendations?

> Toppeak Joe Blow, every time...

I guess it's not the only show in town, but my Joe Blow has been working
reliably for years, and they're not particularly expensive.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

in article [email protected], Andy Sinclair at
[email protected] wrote on 6/3/08 09:06:

> I am in need of a new track pump following the explosive demise of my
> cheap Vento one.
>
> Requirements:
> 1. Presta and schrader capable without major dismantling.
> 2. Stays on presta valves during pumping.
>
> I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for something reliable that
> will work for years.
>
> Any recommendations?

Another vote for the Joe Blow- I have the sport model in an interesting
yellow colour.

The valve attachment is double sided, so no additional adapter or
disassembly is required. The lock lever is metal.

The very quickly gets road tyres up to 100psi without excessive force.

Ben

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008, Ben Micklem <[email protected]> wrote:
> in article [email protected], Andy Sinclair at
> [email protected] wrote on 6/3/08 09:06:
>
> > I am in need of a new track pump following the explosive demise of my
> > cheap Vento one.
> >
> > Requirements:
> > 1. Presta and schrader capable without major dismantling.
> > 2. Stays on presta valves during pumping.
> >
> > I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for something reliable that
> > will work for years.
> >
> > Any recommendations?

> Another vote for the Joe Blow- I have the sport model in an interesting
> yellow colour.
>
> The valve attachment is double sided, so no additional adapter or
> disassembly is required. The lock lever is metal.
>
> The very quickly gets road tyres up to 100psi without excessive force.

Ditto, yes etc. Mine's yellow too.

One addition - don't be tempted to go for a model with the 'better'
smarthead (one valve adaptor that automatically adjusts to suit presta
and schrader). Go for one with the twinhead (one head with presta one
side and schrader the other). Easier to use and more reliable.

The other advantage no-one has mentioned - it fully dismantles so if
it does expire you can (probably) get the bit. Some shops (such as
-gasp- Halfords) even have a box of little-bits-for-topeak-pumps.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:43:41 +0000, Ben Micklem
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Another vote for the Joe Blow- I have the sport model in an interesting
>yellow colour.

Agreed - the Joe Blow Sport is excellent value for money. If you want
to spend more, you could also consider the SKS Rennkompressor.

Ian Smith wrote:

> One addition - don't be tempted to go for a model with the 'better'
> smarthead (one valve adaptor that automatically adjusts to suit presta
> and schrader). Go for one with the twinhead (one head with presta one
> side and schrader the other). Easier to use and more reliable.

I find the Smarthead easy enough to use, and it never slips or leaks -
unlike the Twinhead I tried. I did have one break, though. My replacement
is a different colour, and has been fine for the long while I've had it now,
so I guess might be an improved version.

~PB

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:06:23 +0000, Andy Sinclair wrote:

> I am in need of a new track pump following the explosive demise of my
> cheap Vento one.
>
> Requirements:
> 1. Presta and schrader capable without major dismantling. 2. Stays on
> presta valves during pumping.
>
> I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for something reliable that will
> work for years.
>
> Any recommendations?

Just to suggest an alternative to the Topeak...

I replaced my horrible Blackburn pump with a Specialized Air Tool and I
have never regretted it.
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

Steve Hodgson wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:06:23 +0000, Andy Sinclair wrote:
>
>> I am in need of a new track pump following the explosive demise of my
>> cheap Vento one.
>>
>> Requirements:
>> 1. Presta and schrader capable without major dismantling. 2. Stays on
>> presta valves during pumping.
>>
>> I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for something reliable that will
>> work for years.
>>
>> Any recommendations?

> Just to suggest an alternative to the Topeak...
>
> I replaced my horrible Blackburn pump with a Specialized Air Tool and I
> have never regretted it.

I too have a Specialized Air Tool. It's OK, it's given three years good
service, has no faults, pumps up tyres. Having said that there is merit in
buying a pump for which you can get spares, and in my experience that means
that the Blackburn and Topeak pumps /are/ better, because their spares are
more readily available.

;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.