Trail On Private Property

Brian

Guest
I was walking up Woodschurch Rd. in Flemington, NJ today, and I saw a
trail on the right side of the road, and there is a sign that says
"Readington Trail," but right below that sign, there is a sign that
says something like "Private Property. All persons are forbidden to
trespass on this property." Why is there a sign that says "No
Trespassing" when there is a public trail that goes back there?

Brian

Brian wrote:
> I was walking up Woodschurch Rd. in Flemington, NJ today, and I saw a
> trail on the right side of the road, and there is a sign that says
> "Readington Trail," but right below that sign, there is a sign that
> says something like "Private Property. All persons are forbidden to
> trespass on this property." Why is there a sign that says "No
> Trespassing" when there is a public trail that goes back there?
>
> Brian

Is the trail on public property or is it on private property? How do you
know the trail is public? Or not? It is quite possible that it is on
private property and people just "use" it. That does not make it a public
trail.

~penny

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>I was walking up Woodschurch Rd. in Flemington, NJ today, and I saw a
> trail on the right side of the road, and there is a sign that says
> "Readington Trail," but right below that sign, there is a sign that
> says something like "Private Property. All persons are forbidden to
> trespass on this property." Why is there a sign that says "No
> Trespassing" when there is a public trail that goes back there?

The sign indicates a trail that is available for common use by a group of
people who either own the properties the trail sits on, or who are members
of an association (horse club, etc...) and are allowed access.

It is not a public use trail. It is on private property(s), and as such,
the owners are well within their rights to limit access.

This is not uncommon in area's of affluance where property owners have the
means to keep horses. They get together to build a trail that crosses many
properties, and allow each other access, while also working together to
maintain such trails.

SB