Trainers are easy on tyres

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by GöRan Thyberg, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://medlem.spray.se/tuben7/galleries/030212/

    That tyre has pretty much rubber to begin with.

    I have a 23-622 Ritchey slick on my road bike, which I used for about 3200 kilometres in the rear,
    riding on the street. It developed a fairly flat center section during those kilometres, but there
    was still reasonably much rubber left, so I kept using the tyre on the trainer.

    In the winter I've used the same tyre on the trainer for about 1500 more kilometres. I haven't
    noticed any significant additional wear on the tyre, and it looks like it's good for at least
    another winter on the trainer. I don't know what's up with this, as some people insist that trainers
    eat tyres rapidly.

    The tyre has developed a shiny, polished surface in the center where the tyre touches the metal
    roller, and it's an old-fashioned black tyre with a carbon black rubber compound. Also, I always
    pump it pretty hard (9 bar / 130 psi) and don't push the roller of the trainer against the tyre
    any harder than is necessary. The tyre doesn't deform much, as I don't need that much friction
    because I have a fairly fast, smooth pedaling style. This also helps keeping the noise and
    vibration to a minimum.

    -as

  3. Mycket bra, G=F6ran. Men, 5 bar =3D 73.5 PSI, ja? Varf=F6r =E4r det inte 6 - 6.5 bar? Mera hoyt
    skulle vara mera bra, ja?

    Steve McDonald

  4. "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Mycket bra, Göran. Men, 5 bar = 73.5 PSI, ja? Varför är det inte 6 - 6.5 bar? Mera hoyt skulle
    vara mera bra, ja?

    Steve McDonald

    Hi Steve, nice swedish :)

    The tyre is rated 5 bar, I suppose I could a little higher but haven't had any real reason to do so.

    Göran

  5. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    Det är väll inte ofta man råkar ut för svenska här. Förhoppningsvis blir det varm i sverige snart så
    ni kan cycla...här i Utah, USA ver det 19 grader idag.

    Hej på dej!!

    [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote:

    > Mycket bra, Göran. Men, 5 bar = 73.5 PSI, ja? Varför är det inte 6 - 6.5 bar? Mera hoyt skulle
    > vara mera bra, ja?
    >
    >Steve McDonald

  6. "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Det var 19 grader C in Utah i dag? Det var "bara" 17 grader C här i Oregon. En dag perfekt för
    att åka cykel. I Sverige, kanske i dag var bra för att åka skidor? Finns det där ett cykel med
    ett ski på framsiden?

    I thought you guys were using Babel Fish there for a while, but your Swedish is much better than the
    Fish would do. Today I took the winter tires off my hybrid and rode to work in a pleasant
    temperature of +7 C. March 30 we will be bringing our roadbikes along for the clubrides. Spring is
    getting nearer although not quite here yet. We just wish.

    --
    Perre

    Replace the DOTs to reply

  7. "Göran Thyberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://medlem.spray.se/tuben7/galleries/030212/
    >
    > Currently 2400km and it looks like I have much more than that left on the tyre.
    >
    > Regards Göran

    I have been using a trainer for almost ten years now, riding anywhere from several hundred to two
    thousand miles per year. So far I have worn out one tire and am starting on a second. But I have a
    bike dedicated to the trainer so I can let my rear tire go farther that I would if I rode outdoors
    on the same bike.

    Tom

    -- "Ultra-conservative thought" is an oxymoron --