Trainers -What To Buy??

Can you find any sellers on Ebay that will ship internationally?

philhudson said:
the trouble is i cant find any Uk dealers that sell fluids or 1up usa's, i also need a trainer :(

I was setting-up our Fluid 2 trainers (mine and my wife's) this weekend. I noticed that on my wife's trainer the resistance roller has a shallow groove worn into it already where her tire contacts the roller. This is after one winter of use last year. Mine doesn't have even a trace of a groove in it. I don't know if it's the tires on my wife's bike or what. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any thoughts on why this might have happened. I'm thinking of taking the roller off and flipping it over (the groove isn't in the exact center of the roller) and putting a different rear tire on her bike this year.

I wonder if that would fall under the lifetime warranty. I would contact Cycleops about that and maybe they will replace the roller for you.

meehs said:
I was setting-up our Fluid 2 trainers (mine and my wife's) this weekend. I noticed that on my wife's trainer the resistance roller has a shallow groove worn into it already where her tire contacts the roller. This is after one winter of use last year. Mine doesn't have even a trace of a groove in it. I don't know if it's the tires on my wife's bike or what. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any thoughts on why this might have happened. I'm thinking of taking the roller off and flipping it over (the groove isn't in the exact center of the roller) and putting a different rear tire on her bike this year.

southwind said:
I wonder if that would fall under the lifetime warranty. I would contact Cycleops about that and maybe they will replace the roller for you.

That's a good point Southwind. I'll have to check with Cycleops to see if this is covered. I'll let you know what I find out.

On a positive note, I guess your wife can bragg that she is so smokin' fast that she literally burned a groove into a metal roller on her trainer...

What are you feeding her anyway??

meehs said:
That's a good point Southwind. I'll have to check with Cycleops to see if this is covered. I'll let you know what I find out.

southwind said:
On a positive note, I guess your wife can bragg that she is so smokin' fast that she literally burned a groove into a metal roller on her trainer...

What are you feeding her anyway??

Positive note??? Yeah, for my wife maybe! It's probably only a matter of time before she lays that one on me. :D

Don't let her read these posts then, they might go to her head and then you would never hear the end of it!

meehs said:
Positive note??? Yeah, for my wife maybe! It's probably only a matter of time before she lays that one on me. :D

I'm looking for a trainer myself as the winter months are coming up. I've followed the link to the 1upUSA trainer which I must say is a real beauty, only thing is I really don't want to spend $300. The thing is though is that the warantee seems pretty much bulletproof, so does the warantee make it more worth it (I like how it covers wear), or am I OK spending $150-200 on a trainer with a so-so warantee and so-so quality?

Basically, is it really worth spending $300 on the 1upUSA? I've got $300 to blow and I'm not sure if I want to spend it ALL on just the trainer. Somebody please make my decision for me, I just can't do it.

mattt said:
<snip> ... I've got $300 to blow and I'm not sure if I want to spend it ALL on just the trainer. Somebody please make my decision for me, I just can't do it.
Sure thing. Just mail me the $300 dollars! :p

Just got my 1upusa from 1upusa.com

After about 3 total hours on it, it's lived up to all the good things I've read. Stable, fast & easy to set up, plenty of resistance, really road like feel, VERY quiet and beautifully made.

joule said:
Sure thing. Just mail me the $300 dollars! :p

mattt said:
Basically, is it really worth spending $300 on the 1upUSA? I've got $300 to blow and I'm not sure if I want to spend it ALL on just the trainer. Somebody please make my decision for me, I just can't do it.

Copy/paste from my reply to another thread a few days ago:

I just received a 1up last week. I'm using it to recover from a serious ankle injury so I've only done some very short/light "workouts" but it seems quiet and very well-built. It's my first trainer so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I was going to get a Kurt Kinetic because it gets great reviews as well, but after talking with the friendly owner at 1up I went with it because of the exceptional warranty (lifetime), 60-day money back (plus they pay for return shipping), their reputation for excellent customer service, and the fact it's made in the US (most others are made in China, of course).

I went with Cycleops for several reasons: warranty, design, reputation. I spoke with Carmichael Training Systems out in Colorado Springs, Co., where Lance's coach Chris Carmichael trains cyclists. They informed me Cycleops is their choice in trainers and they have held up very well. They also told me if I encountered any problems with my Fluid 2 that Cycleops would take care of me. So far I've been thoroughly impressed with the trainer.

sfcommuter said:
Copy/paste from my reply to another thread a few days ago:

I just received a 1up last week. I'm using it to recover from a serious ankle injury so I've only done some very short/light "workouts" but it seems quiet and very well-built. It's my first trainer so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I was going to get a Kurt Kinetic because it gets great reviews as well, but after talking with the friendly owner at 1up I went with it because of the exceptional warranty (lifetime), 60-day money back (plus they pay for return shipping), their reputation for excellent customer service, and the fact it's made in the US (most others are made in China, of course).

CTS probably gets paid to endorse Cycleops. Not that they're bad trainers, just, caveat emptor.

I've got a 1upUSA - it's bulletproof. Had it for more than a year, probably 2,000 mile on itand never a problem. I'm 6' 225lbs and can really crank some power on it. It's never complained.

www.1upusa.com On top of all that, Corky and the crew there are first rate. It's the best customer service around.

southwind said:
I went with Cycleops for several reasons: warranty, design, reputation. I spoke with Carmichael Training Systems out in Colorado Springs, Co., where Lance's coach Chris Carmichael trains cyclists. They informed me Cycleops is their choice in trainers and they have held up very well. They also told me if I encountered any problems with my Fluid 2 that Cycleops would take care of me. So far I've been thoroughly impressed with the trainer.

based on reocmmendation of friend cycling 'expert', i got a Performance TravelTrac Cenrury Fluid+ for my wife. it works fine.

Reasons to buy: price and quiet.

----------------
so i reordered another for myself, but 'screwed' up and got the mag version. well i put it together and it is quieter than the fluid version.... and cost $50 less.

i wondering, did the 'expert' know something else?

is there any real reason to get more expensive fluid trainers? or mag one just fine?

cu,
larryb

larryb said:
based on reocmmendation of friend cycling 'expert', i got a Performance TravelTrac Cenrury Fluid+ for my wife. it works fine.

Reasons to buy: price and quiet.

----------------
so i reordered another for myself, but 'screwed' up and got the mag version. well i put it together and it is quieter than the fluid version.... and cost $50 less.

i wondering, did the 'expert' know something else?

is there any real reason to get more expensive fluid trainers? or mag one just fine?

cu,
larryb
Fluid trainers are supposed to have a more realistic power curve and simulate actual road riding better than magnetic trainers. The power curve on the fluid trainers are geometric (J curve) and the power curve on the magnetic trainers is linear (straight line) ... or something to this effect.

Doctor Morbius said:
Fluid trainers are supposed to have a more realistic power curve and simulate actual road riding better than magnetic trainers. The power curve on the fluid trainers are geometric (J curve) and the power curve on the magnetic trainers is linear (straight line) ... or something to this effect.

geometric or linear is interesting depending upon how nonlinear the J power curve really is.

my limited experience with the two models from Performance is that the difference, if any, is small.

on the other hand, it could be a great marketing tool.

cu,
larryb

Can you get every bit of resistance out of the magnetic you can out of the fluid? No other differences?

larryb said:
based on reocmmendation of friend cycling 'expert', i got a so i reordered another for myself, but 'screwed' up and got the mag version. well i put it together and it is quieter than the fluid version.... and cost $50 less.

the mag is slightly quieter.

the range of resistance seems about the same to me..

with my road bike on either unit,
i can use the smaller chain ring for grinding out 'miles' and
i can shift to larger ring and standup to simulate acceration.

both units have their own tension control, so i can set them up to match the power vs bike shifter combo that suits me.

i see no advantage to the fluid system.... however both of these systems are new and i have no idea how they age.

the prices are $180 for fluid and $130 for mag.
both by traveltrac at
performancebike.com

i am not associated with the store or the product at all.

cu,
larryb

What about the Blackburn fluid trainer? I have 650c and not a lot of trainers fit 650c. We found a Blackburn Fluid trainer at a LBS and it's at the lowest price we've seen. Anyone have experience with Blackburn?