Training Food

SCOOBA STEVE

Aug 7, 2003
*I WAS WONDERING WHAT WAS SOME GOOD FOOD TO TAKE ON TRAINING RIDES UP TO AND OVER ABOUT 100km's.

*DOES ANYONE ELSE USE MORE THAN 2 BOTTLES WORTH OF WATER ON LONG TRAINING RIDES? AS THIS CAN BE A PAIN IF U RUN OUT IN THE BACK OF KNOWWHERE. ARE CAMEL BACKS ANY GOOD?

I'm in Arizona and I typically take 4 bottles on longer (3 hours plus) rides. I use a 2-bottle carrier that fits on the seat post behind me as well as two bottles in normal cages. I'll stop at convenience stores too on the hotter (110 plus) days to top up supplies.

I like bananas, Clif bars because thay're less sticky than Powerbars, fig newtons, home-made panini and gel packs.

Originally posted by serottarider
I'm in Arizona and I typically take 4 bottles on longer (3 hours plus) rides. I use a 2-bottle carrier that fits on the seat post behind me as well as two bottles in normal cages. I'll stop at convenience stores too on the hotter (110 plus) days to top up supplies.

I like bananas, Clif bars because thay're less sticky than Powerbars, fig newtons, home-made panini and gel packs.

For hot long days of 50+ mi out in the boondocks w/ many steep hills I will carry a camelback w/ 3 litres of water and 2 bottles of carb/elec drink. I have FINISHED all of my water on one 50 mile long ride in 100 degree heat.

On other occasions I have ridden 40 miles or so only needing 2 bottles. It all depends on the heat/stress of the day.

Alot of cyclists scoff riders who wear a camelbak. I think it is silly to do so, just because of 'tradition'. During a training ride, you dont have h2O stops on the side of the road. If you want to keep going w/o stopping a camelbak does the trick AND it keeps the water cold. I would rather look a 'out-of-tradition' w/ a camelbak on a training ride than be calling 911 because of dehydration/heatstroke.

Mine is a little too big, and I will probably get another small one that will allow me to carry my tools/2 litres of water..

Think of it this way.. during a training ride you are carrying an extra 5 lbs of **** on your back. Imagine how fresh you will feel during a competition, or supported ride when you are 5lbs lighter on the bike?

I also carry clif bars and a 6 shot gel pack.

Food: I have one gel pack with me on all rides above an hour. Any ride over one hour requires nutrition on the go. You should start eating after 30 minutes of excercise if you expect to ride beyond one hour. I also make little sandwiches. White bread is easy on the stomach and contain lots of carbs. I put peanut butter and spread on them. Sometimes I have ham which I eat fairly early in the ride. I take two pieces of toast sized bread and slap together. Then I cut them in four pieces, and wrap individually. You can put whatever you like on the sandwiches, but think carbohydrates. You will typically expend around 600 kcal per hour on a normal rides. The body can hold up to 1500 if you're very well trained (like Lance), but normal guys need replenishment after 500-1000 kcal. Unless you're into loosing weight you need straight carbs, not protein.