Training help on 75 mile ride

theLazyBiker

Aug 29, 2013
Hello, I am new to road cycling, I got into it about 2 months ago. There is a 75 mile ride at the end of November, but I don't know if I would be able train enough to do it. I don't want to bite of way more than I can chew. I ride about 5 days a week, each ride is between 10 and 25 miles. My longest ride to date was 31 miles with about 1000ft elevation. Where I am now, I beleive I can keep a good pase for about 45 miles. Is 70 days enough time to train or should I sign up for the 42 mile ride they have the same day? Sorry if you saw this posted in the general topics also. I wasn't sure where the best place to post it would be.

Hell yeah. You can do the 75...assuming it isn't thru the Alps of Death Valley.

Toss in a few 35-50 mile cruises in the next few weeks and get a metric century in if you can. Maybe up your speed and intensity during a few of those 25-mile rides. You're doing OK over that 1000' I take it?

Don't get carried away with trying to race your way thru that 75-miler. Start out just doing a steady tempo pace and save some for the last 20-25 miles. Assuming you're in decent health and used to sitting on the bike for a couple hours at a stretch, you'll be fine. Remember to keep drinking and eating a little as you go. Stash a few energy gels in your jersey, take a camera and above all, have fun!

Quote: Originally Posted by theLazyBiker .

Hello,

I am new to road cycling, I got into it about 2 months ago. There is a 75 mile ride at the end of November, but I don't know if I would be able train enough to do it. I don't want to bite of way more than I can chew. I ride about 5 days a week, each ride is between 10 and 25 miles. My longest ride to date was 31 miles with about 1000ft elevation. Where I am now, I beleive I can keep a good pase for about 45 miles.

Is 70 days enough time to train or should I sign up for the 42 mile ride they have the same day?

Sorry if you saw this posted in the general topics also. I wasn't sure where the best place to post it would be.

As long as it is a casual ride, you should have no problems. Take it easy. 75 miles is between 4 and 5 hours (more or less). eat and drink as you need to.

Try to do some longer rides before then.

Is it an organized event or just something you're doing yourself?

I will bring up something that happened to me this weekend. I just started riding this year and had my first 50k race this weekend. I've done a few 50k rides leading up to the race but most of my rides were between 12 to 25 miles like yours. Anyway around the 26 mile mark my rear end really started hurting bad. My daily rides are on roads with plenty of stop lights, riding for 30 miles straight with no breaks is something else entirely. All I'm saying is make sure you can sit on your saddle that long. I know I am going to change my practice habits before my next ride in January.