Training schedule with wednesday night race

bor1234

Mar 21, 2007
If I want to train with this type of schedule....

March with 5 weeks till my main block of race
L5 am L6 pm Tue
2 x 20 100 Wed
2 x 30 SST Thur
Long group Sat
Fast group or SST Sun

Question is next week start the Wednesday night world's 1hr and 40 min of ride that about 1hr 10 min is full on race. How should I schedule my week, if I want to do well in these mid week "races".

move your intense 3 day block to fri, sat, sun. rest day monday, then a shoort ride tuesday, easy but with a few sprints.

thursday ride 90 mins easy - recovery.

if you want to do well in the race you need to be well rested..

bor1234 said:
That schedule works out well
thanks
not so sure about dpoing L5 and 6 on same day either.

6 is also not necessary or adviseable every week. onece every 2/3 weeks is enough, if done properly.

if you are hitting 5 propoerly you won't feel like doing 6 later in the day, or even the next day. No sh*t.

bor1234 said:
If I want to train with this type of schedule....

March with 5 weeks till my main block of race
L5 am L6 pm Tue
2 x 20 100 Wed
2 x 30 SST Thur
Long group Sat
Fast group or SST Sun

Question is next week start the Wednesday night world's 1hr and 40 min of ride that about 1hr 10 min is full on race. How should I schedule my week, if I want to do well in these mid week "races".

Why not drop the L5/L6 and get that from racing, and then try to rearrange so that you still get the long group rides (or at least one of them)?

Perhaps focused L5/6 work can't be done in racing.

OP, why not consider a Lemond structure for your mid-week races. Either make Wednesday day 2 of 1-2-3 or of 1-2 block.

Example:
Monday: off
Tuesday: Sprints, L6, high intensity and low volume.
Wednesday: Training race, mid-effort, mid-duration
Thursday: Long endurance
Friday: off
Saturday: L5 intervals
Sunday: Race or group ride.

If you are getting ready to race, why all of the FT and SST work? Your Wed. race will be AP zone 3 no doubt.

Do any of you have experience with doing a short L6 or L5 type effort, and have good legs/power the next day? Especially since I will do that workout in the Tuesday AM and the training race will not start till 6 PM the next day. That would allow me to maintain the tu-wed-thr----sat-sun schedule.

There is a point to dropping some of the L6/ L5 efforts since the race will cover L3 thru L6 at some point in the race. That would leave me ready for the Sunday MTB races (but there are only a few).

Your focussed L5/6 work should be done in a workout form. Keep the duration low(1.5h for Cat 3), but the interval intensity very high. Wednesday's race will sting, so you must have the base to approach this.

Training races shouldn't count as L5/6, although a power file ride analysis might suggest (duration of intervals(training session) is more important than total time in zone(training race)).

bor1234 said:
Do any of you have experience with doing a short L6 or L5 type effort, and have good legs/power the next day? Especially since I will do that workout in the Tuesday AM and the training race will not start till 6 PM the next day. That would allow me to maintain the tu-wed-thr----sat-sun schedule.

There is a point to dropping some of the L6/ L5 efforts since the race will cover L3 thru L6 at some point in the race. That would leave me ready for the Sunday MTB races (but there are only a few).
I've used moderate amounts of L5 and L6 as an "opener" the day before a race. In fact, on a few occasions I've used 15 second on/off micro-intervals (L6/L2-3) as an opener the day before crits to get my body back into the flow of things to come, as it were. However, I know that this would wreck many riders for the next day so I would approach it very carefully.

Everyone is different though. :)