Training Week Ending March 12, 2006

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by SwStudio, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David Hirsh, director
    www.urbanburn.com - half marathon, full throttle!

    Tags:

  2. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Sun: 22 (9:55)
    Mon: 6
    Tue: 12
    Wed: 12*
    Thu: 7
    Fri: OFF
    Sat: 5K (23:32)

    Total: ~62 miles

    *Relax Phil :-}, in Advanced Marathoning, Pete says back to back hard
    days are allowed when used for the purpose of maintaining your weekly
    mileage while attempting to "taper" for an upcoming race. In actuality,
    all my races have been run by just "front loading" my weekly mileage and
    taking a day or two off before the race. Not really a problem for 5K's,
    but I learned my lesson in last years HM. Distances of that length or
    more appear to require actual tapering!

    All runs at easy pace ( 9:15-10:45 per mile )

    Goals: (for this year) - sub 21:00 5K, sub 7:00 mile average for 5K's,
    improved WAVA rating from last year, more 70% or better WAVA's for 5K's

    Made my weight goal; feel I'm now capable of completing/running a
    marathon if the right opportunity presents itself.

    One of my years goals was going to be to run all 5K's under 23:00. That
    one died early and I dug myself a big hole on a couple of the others! I
    ran my worst 5K in 1.5 years (and I was sick during the previous one!).
    I had the "racin' Joneses" so I drove 30 minutes an entered a 5K even
    though it was raining and lightening (I'm a fair-weather runner who
    never pre-registers for this very reason). After registering I was
    milling around talking to another runner and assuming (since I had
    recently seen lightning) that the race would be delayed and this seemed
    to be bore out as the race start time passed. However, 5 minutes after
    the schedule start time we were led out to the starting line and 15
    seconds later the gun sounded. No warm-up time! By the first .5 mile
    my shoes were full of water from the numerous 4" deep "puddles" (more
    like small lakes!) up to 5 yards long. At about the 2.5 mile mark I saw
    a massive lightning strike about .5 miles in front of me. Just my luck
    it had to miss me instead of preventing me from finishing (I think I
    would have preferred a DNF to my actual time). :). And to top it off,
    when I went to drive home, I turned the key in my car, the wiper blades
    moved about 6" (I had forgot to turn them off), the indicator lights
    dimmed to black and I've got nothing! Called AAA, waited an hour for a
    jump, and drove home with my indicator pointers frequently bouncing up
    and down and random indicator lights turning off and on. Once safely in
    my garage, I turned off the engine, turned the key again and NOTHING - a
    completely dead battery. In the matter of a few hours my battery had
    gone from fine (never a previous problem) to nonexistent. Add to the
    above my 3 day "phone hell" horror attempting get my ISP to recover my
    email accounts along with my phone company disconnecting my phone line
    for 30 minutes (in the middle of a call with my ISP) and you have one
    very bad week! (And I've still got the battery issue to deal with.)

    I think that if my future running this year is much improved from
    today's, I might just give myself a mulligan on today's effort (let's
    call it a slow tempo run).

    UPDATE: as I waited for the official race results (why? I don't know -
    maybe the clock was wrong or I dreamed this) to be posted, I decided to
    work on replacing the car battery. I loosened the + terminal and as I
    twisted to remove it "Lo and Behold" the engine compartment light came
    on. I had a contact problem - very little corrosion but enough to
    prevent any juice! My karma must suck at the moment. If this had
    happened as I was leaving for the race, I would have missed the race and
    been at home and not stranded waiting for AAA. And to prove the
    negative state of my karma - the official results have my name and time
    RIGHT! :)

  3. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Sun: 22 (9:55)
    > Mon: 6
    > Tue: 12
    > Wed: 12*
    > Thu: 7
    > Fri: OFF
    > Sat: 5K (23:32)
    >
    > Total: ~62 miles
    >
    > *Relax Phil :-}, in Advanced Marathoning, Pete says back to back hard
    > days are allowed when used for the purpose of maintaining your weekly
    > mileage while attempting to "taper" for an upcoming race.

    That's true. I've done the same thing myself. Usually it was a matter of
    doing a tune-up race on Saturday followed by a long run on Sunday. Since
    they are different types of hard workouts, it didn't matter too much as
    long as I took 2 days to recover.

    > Goals: (for this year) - sub 21:00 5K, sub 7:00 mile average for 5K's,
    > improved WAVA rating from last year, more 70% or better WAVA's for 5K's

    How old are you? At my age (49), I'd need a 20:36 5K for 70% WAVA.

    Sorry to hear about all your issues today. Did you at least relieve
    yourself of the racing jones?

    --
    Phil M.

  4. Spring Fever

    Spring Fever Guest

    91 miles week.
    mountain bike.
    20,11,10,12,13,15,10.=91

    weight lifting (week set up outside)
    and lifted light weights 2 times.
    wrist still sore some.
    military press with sore wrist. 85 pounds 10 reps. and many sets.
    bench 155/ 10 reps many sets.
    jerk over head 155. little well more shake. probe with wrist.

    set up incline bench and stand 6 feet.
    2 spin bikes.
    a horse saddle rider.
    a peddle runner, (home made)
    a regular weight bench.
    a over under cable machine.
    and curl bar.and sit-up cable.
    outside set up.
    3 out of 4 bikes working.
    broken peddleon #4.
    re designed 2 of them.
    to own likings. well 1.

    lots of different sized sticks.

    yesterday the moon appeared in the east and north some.time 4 or 5 ish
    p.m.est.
    sitting inchair, very stiff out of gas. (resting in high winds and
    colder some...all wrap up.) ground is flood stage.and mud.....
    seems to travel south, then follow the sun path to the west. at 6 p.m.
    est. seems to go to the west. were the sun went behind the trees and
    horizon. birds every wear.....all different kinds. from canada to
    southern. still saturday...
    in a.m. watch the sun rise, very orange
    above trees began to turn yellow. and seem to travel south more then
    west.
    drinking coffee all wrap up in chair.

    this a.m. just light. plesent and wet.

    could measure a triangle fixes . (for me)
    butt wont. spring on march 20.

    God speed rec running.

  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Phil M. wrote:

    > How old are you? At my age (49), I'd need a 20:36 5K for 70% WAVA.

    I'm 55 and now need a 21:38 5K for a 70% WAVA. Last year I had 4 out of
    my 18 5K's above 70% (needed a 21:27) and had 3 other races within 6
    seconds.

    > Sorry to hear about all your issues today. Did you at least relieve
    > yourself of the racing jones?

    I not sure if I relieved my racing jones, but I did get some good news
    last night. I'm happy(?) to report that I apparently have a cold! Last
    night my head started feeling stuffed up and my throat "scratchy". I
    strapped on my HRM and found my resting HR was about 15 beats above
    normal (still true this morning). The symptoms are currently very minor
    but definitely there. This tends to correlate with sometime that
    happened on Friday. I was shopping and decided to stop at the blood
    pressure machine (I probably do this about once a month - normally only
    when I need something in that area of the store). My blood pressure
    reading was over 120 (it's normally 115 or less), and a second reading
    was also over 120. In two years of readings it has never been in the
    120's. In addition, my HR was about 15-20 beats higher than the normal
    reading. At the time I assumed that either the machine was incorrect or
    I was still suffering some stress from my 3 day ISP odyssey. Now I
    think the true reason has been revealed. The same think happened in my
    previous poor performance 1.5 years ago, I started feeling sick the
    evening after the race. Last year I ran the same race 2:38 faster (in
    fact it's my current PR). Now that I own a HRM (for almost a year), I
    think I might start checking my RHR before I go to a race. I know that
    running books say to check your RHR each morning for signs of over
    training, but I never do (does anybody?). Another question is: I know
    that elevated RHR can indicate illness, but does that also apply to
    blood pressure? (Never read that anywhere.)

  6. Spring Fever

    Spring Fever Guest

    feb/17/06 moon cover star spica, from the northeast quadtant of the
    country, for point west, spica well stand above the moon as they rise.
    lat=11)55' south, long=7)4' west, alt 147824121 km 12:42:19 now or
    7:42:19 a.m. est 2/17/06

    point west=n.e of u.s.a......

    saturday march 11 06.
    6.p.m. goes west.

    11+11=22 days.
    24×22=528 hours-2=526 hrs.
    7;42;19 from 6;00p.m.=(8/6)=10 hours (11 hours)
    11/11/11.............
    a winner..........
    oct/19= hunter moon,full moon,harvest moon.
    jerusalem to bethleham, 0007 saturn jupiter
    old orion.
    m-5015 south of sirus,

    Stargazing Tips
    The sky is full of wonders every night of the week. Use our viewing
    guide for the week ahead to plan your backyard outings.
    March 12, 2006
    Regulus, the "heart" of Leo, the lion, stands just a whisker to the
    upper right of the Moon as night falls this evening. It remains close to
    the Moon as they arc high across the south in late evening, and sets in
    the west before dawn.
    March 13, 2006
    The Moon is almost full this evening. On the northern half of the Moon's
    lighted surface, look for several dark blue-grey blotches. Early
    skywatchers called them "seas" because they thought the blotches were
    bodies of water.
    March 14, 2006
    The Moon is full at 5:35 p.m. CST. It's known as the Crow Moon, Lenten
    Moon, or Sap Moon. A slight lunar eclipse takes place, but it's visible
    mainly from Europe and Africa. From the United States, we'll see a
    bright, beautiful Moon unaffected by Earth's shadow.
    March 15, 2006
    Leo, the lion, stands proudly atop the firmament around midnight
    tonight. Its brightest star is Regulus, which marks the lion's heart. A
    pattern of fairly bright stars in the shape of a backward question mark
    outlines Leo's head and mane.
    March 16, 2006
    The Moon passes one of the sky's most important landmarks tonight:
    Spica, the brightest star of the constellation Virgo. Its appearance in
    the evening means that winter is on the way out in the northern
    hemisphere and spring is on the way in.
    March 17, 2006
    The Moon follows a bright star across the sky tonight: Spica, in the
    constellation Virgo. They rise in late evening and cruise across the
    south after midnight.
    March 18, 2006
    The planet Jupiter lines up with the Moon tonight. The planet is to the
    left of the Moon as they rise around 10 or 11 p.m. It looks like a
    brilliant star, although it outshines all the true stars in the night
    sky.
    Unless otherwise specified, viewing times are local time regardless of
    time zone, and are good for the entire Lower 48 states (and, generally,
    for Alaska and Hawaii).
    copy right..stardate.texas.blaw blaw ..

  7. joe positive

    joe positive Guest

    SwStudio wrote:

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    goals: get through the next 6 days, not screw up on the 7th day. Upcoming
    races: marathon March 19; possible 5-miler April 8; 10k (triathlon relay)
    April 30.

    M: 4mi (9:40)
    T: 11mi incl 4x800 w/2:30 rest. avg 3:00
    W: off
    R: 14mi (7:47) incl last 8 @6:56 pace
    F: 4mi (9:30)
    Sa: 9.1mi (8:32), miles 6 & 8 @6:58 for no good reason
    Su: 6mi (8:53)

    total: 48.1 miles

    Saturday I'd planned to race 5K but woke up with sore legs and a cluttered
    mind so I bagged it. This was a very light week mileage-wise but there was
    a fair amount of faster stuff, and maybe that - on top of the 97+ miles
    last week - explains the tired legs. I sure hope there's a reason for it,
    anyway.

    good week all

    Karen

    --
    live! vicariously!

  8. Parker Race

    Parker Race Guest

    mon: 8.5
    tues: 8.5 wu 800 X 6 cd
    wed: off
    thur: Shin and ankle sore - did 10k on an elliptical
    fri: 3.25 very easy
    sat: 7.75 - wu, 4 mile race @26:53 cd
    su: 15
    total : running - 43
    elliptical - 10k

    goals, races -
    5 mile race - 4/2 - 34:10- 34:30
    possible 1/2 on 3/26 sub 7:30?
    5/27 Marathon hoping to run in the low 3:20's

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,
    > --
    > David Hirsh, director
    > www.urbanburn.com - half marathon, full throttle!
    > www.absolutelyaccurate.com - Hamilton's summer series!

  9. Roger Walker

    Roger Walker Guest

    SwStudio wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.
    >

    > cheers,

    M: --
    T: 7.7mi 1h21 trails
    W: 4.7mi 46m
    T: 7.4mi 1h07 hills
    F: --
    S: 4.4mi 42m
    S: 12.4mi 2h44 muddy trails

    Goals: 3/25 KUTS 50k, maybe Laurel Highlands 50k

    Roger

  10. Tony S.

    Tony S. Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    mon: off
    tues: 0:32 ran easy
    0:20 treadmill (walk)
    wed: 0:34 ran easy
    0:24 mtn bike
    thur: off
    fri: 0:45 ran easy
    0:52 biked mod-hard, 780'climb
    sat: 0:31 ran easy
    2:01 biked mod-hard, 2260' climb
    sun: 1:21 ran mixed trails mod, 1180' climb

    Running legs still feel horrible, and it's a bit of a mystery. Biking legs
    OTHO felt like butter yesterday so I did a longer ride than I had planned.
    I'm not sure if the legs felt so good because I've done very little biking
    lately, or in spite of it. My goal for the short term is to run frequently,
    even if that means shorter distances, but to keep trying to do a longer run
    every 2 weeks. I hope this experiment in more frequent running pays off.

    -Tony

  11. Tony S.

    Tony S. Guest

    "Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > mon: 8.5
    > tues: 8.5 wu 800 X 6 cd
    > wed: off
    > thur: Shin and ankle sore - did 10k on an elliptical
    > fri: 3.25 very easy
    > sat: 7.75 - wu, 4 mile race @26:53 cd

    Nice job on the race. That's a decent pace, though I noted in the other
    thread that your PR is closer to 26? How's that weight-loss going? Mine is
    too slow so far, and I sure as hell won't be doing anything much over 80% HR
    until mine is down quite a bit.

    -Tony

    > su: 15
    > total : running - 43
    > elliptical - 10k
    >
    > goals, races -
    > 5 mile race - 4/2 - 34:10- 34:30
    > possible 1/2 on 3/26 sub 7:30?
    > 5/27 Marathon hoping to run in the low 3:20's
    >
    > "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > > week and goals.
    > >

    > > cheers,
    > > --
    > > David Hirsh, director
    > > www.urbanburn.com - half marathon, full throttle!
    > > www.absolutelyaccurate.com - Hamilton's summer series!

  12. marko

    marko Guest

    SwStudio a écrit :
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    day km mi time time/km time/mi type feel %HRavg
    Tue 11 6.8 00h52' 4'45" 7:38 REC :) 74
    Thu 16 9.9 01h20' 5'00" 8:03 REC :-( 76
    Fri 16 9.9 01h14' 4'38" 7:27 R :-| 76
    Sat 9 5.6 00h48' 5'25" 8:44 REC :-| 67
    Sun 26 16.2 02h04' 4'47" 7:42 E :) 74
    week 10 : 78 km 48 mi 06h19'
    last 8 weeks' average : 67 km 42 mi 05h20'
    year : 672 km 418 mi 53h55'

    happy to have maintained a decent mileage after last sunday's HM.
    I didn't have sore muscles at all, first time ever after such a race,
    which is a good sign. Still, I was a little bit tired, so there are many :-|
    On Fri I ran a little bit fartlek like, doing some kilometers @ MP with
    slower patches.
    Sun long run went well, with ever faster pace on a 5k loop that went
    like this :
    km time %HRavg
    on the last 5k loop, I went from a 4'45"/km pace to 3'55" without
    raising HR above 152, which I take as a good omen.

    goals : do some speed sessions, run strong.
    apr 9th marathon sub-3...

  13. joe positive wrote:
    > Saturday I'd planned to race 5K but woke up with sore legs and a
    > cluttered mind so I bagged it.

    I'm sure you did the right thing. But damn, I was curious!

    Guess you'll give us a more interesting result in another week, anyhow.
    Best of luck.

    Pendejo, wishing his mind were only as cluttered as Karen's, or his week
    only as bad as Michael's

  14. Parker Race

    Parker Race Guest

    "Tony S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:KB%[email protected]
    > "Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> mon: 8.5
    >> tues: 8.5 wu 800 X 6 cd
    >> wed: off
    >> thur: Shin and ankle sore - did 10k on an elliptical
    >> fri: 3.25 very easy
    >> sat: 7.75 - wu, 4 mile race @26:53 cd

    > Nice job on the race. That's a decent pace, though I noted in the other
    > thread that your PR is closer to 26?

    Thanks, I was surprised as I was struggling to break 21 minutes at 5k last
    Summer.
    My PR is like 25:42 in April 2003 , my PR on this course is 26:05.
    I was very motivated as ther was someione challenging me in the last 1/2
    mile that I had been behind in mile 3.
    I had heard stories about this person having a rep for running illegal
    tangents but never thought much of it. There are like 17 turns in the course
    and he was using each one to his full advantage. He turned every 90 deg.
    turn into a 45, running across lawns sidewalks, etc. In the final stretch I
    was determined not to let this guy pass me and he didn't.

    >How's that weight-loss going?

    Well, I don't know, I'm not really losing much weight, but I 've been
    getting complements on how I look lately so I guess I must have transformed
    some fat into muscle over the last couple of months. I have one of those
    Tanita scales and it says my body fat % is 15% at 184 lbs in "athlete" mode,
    not sure I believe that though.

    >Mine is
    > too slow so far, and I sure as hell won't be doing anything much over 80%
    > HR
    > until mine is down quite a bit.

    It's tough you have to run more to lose but it's harder to run and harder on
    your body when you're weight is up. With the weather turning warm you should
    be able to burn off some calories on long bike rides though. That's what
    worked for me when we had all the heat and humidity last Summer.

    > -Tony
    >
    >> su: 15
    >> total : running - 43
    >> elliptical - 10k
    >>
    >> goals, races -
    >> 5 mile race - 4/2 - 34:10- 34:30
    >> possible 1/2 on 3/26 sub 7:30?
    >> 5/27 Marathon hoping to run in the low 3:20's
    >>
    >> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    >> > week and goals.
    >> >

    >> > cheers,
    >> > --
    >> > David Hirsh, director
    >> > www.urbanburn.com - half marathon, full throttle!
    >> > www.absolutelyaccurate.com - Hamilton's summer series!

  15. 46.65 virus-ridden miles, as

    Mo: 8.25 total, including first reps of 2006. 3 x (2x200m, 1x400m)
    aiming for 42" and 86" per Daniels, hitting more like 45-41.5
    and 94/91/87. Note to self: Bodyglide nipples before sweaty
    trackwork in winter weight top. Note 2 to self: if Daniels says
    to run reps with a cold, bear in mind the man's a running coach
    and exercise physiologist, not a viral authority.

    Tu: DNR (planned)

    We: 6.50 easy, head cold made quite a comeback. Stupid reps.

    Th: DNR - damn cold still bad despite zinc lozenges etc.

    Fr: AM 3.55 easy, cold still hanging on, new shoes
    PM 3.55 easy, cold still hanging on, other new shoes

    Sa: 8.20 with about 4 at a weak steady state pace, most likely a
    no-man's land training non-zone. Really wanted to do some tempo
    pace running but still fear to inflame the weakening cold and/or
    my suddenly crazy-tight right hamstring (was it the new shoes?)

    Su: 13.05 effortless pace long run. Hamstring still tight but never
    got in the way of - nor felt aggravated by - a slow jog. Daniels
    counts these non-marathon-training long runs as a (relatively)
    easy day which was initially hard to get my head around, but I'm
    coming to accept that if keeping it to 2 hours, around 9:00 pace,
    allows me to do a hard workout on Monday, that's just dandy.

    Even though the running was suboptimal, it's been the best part of my
    otherwise shitty last couple weeks. Damn. At least we're getting some
    warmer temps and somewhat longer days.

  16. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    SwStudio wrote:

    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    Day Mi Type
    Mon 0.00 rest (abs)
    Tue 6.06 easy (weights)
    Wed 13.20 medium long
    Thu 6.15 easy (abs)
    Fri 11.39 aerobic
    Sat 5.00 easy (abs, weights)
    Sun 16.04 Appalachian Trail run/hike
    Week 58
    Year 606

    Training:
    Week 15 of 20-week training plan. Trying to get a little specificity of
    terrain, so Sunday's long run was on the Appalachian trail. Maybe a
    little too specific. ;-) Actually, I'd call it more of a hike than a
    run. Lots of steep climbs (2800' of climb) and rocky footing made it
    impossible or dangerous to run.If time on my feet means anything, then
    certainly the 3' 19" it took to cover the 16 miles accomplished that. At
    any rate, I had a good time. Here's a photo at the trailhead:
    http://i2.tinypic.com/radohk.jpg

    Events:
    4/15/06 McNaughton Park Trail Runs, Pekin IL
    http://tinyurl.com/avp9c

    Have a great week rec.runners.

    --
    Phil M.

    "things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse" - lily tomlin

  17. SwStudio <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    > week and goals.

    M - AM: 3.5 miles @ 8:30ish
    PM: 5.5 miles @ 8:00-8:30
    T - -
    W - 8.5 miles bike
    T - AM: 3.5 miles @ 8:00ish
    PM: 5.5 miles @ 7:50ish
    F - 7 miles bike
    S - 3 miles @7:20
    S - got up late, missed a scheduled 10 miler.
    Also missed a potential jog with Steve C.

    total: 21 miles + 15.5 miles bike
    Goals: Keep increasing mileage.

    jobs

  18. Parker Race

    Parker Race Guest

    "Tony S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:KB%[email protected]
    > "Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> mon: 8.5
    >> tues: 8.5 wu 800 X 6 cd
    >> wed: off
    >> thur: Shin and ankle sore - did 10k on an elliptical
    >> fri: 3.25 very easy
    >> sat: 7.75 - wu, 4 mile race @26:53 cd

    > Nice job on the race. That's a decent pace, though I noted in the other
    > thread that your PR is closer to 26? How's that weight-loss going?

    Just a few lbs around the middle to go, the guy with head band is the one I
    held off:
    http://albanyrunningexchange.org/images/semester/spring2006/greenIsland/finish/pages/3parker_jpg.htm

  19. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Parker Race" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just a few lbs around the middle to go, the guy with head band is the
    > one I held off:

    He sure looks a lot older than you. You're not picking on old people?
    I'll bet you were really worried about the two women that were stalking
    you! Next thing you'll want extra time for BMI and shoe size. :)

    -Doug

  20. Spring Fever

    Spring Fever Guest

    View from Moon: 399821 km above 11°8'N 154°51'E
    Click in image to pan or here to zoom in or out .
    Satellite data provided by The Living Earth® Inc./Earth Imaging
    © 1996, All Rights Reserved.

    Display:  Map,  From Sun,  From Moon,  Night side
    Lat: Long: Alt:  km
    Choose satellite
    Image:  Living Earth®  NASA Visible Earth  Topo map
     Clouds  IR clouds  Colour weather
     Water vapour  Water vapour raw
    Time: Now UTC: Julian:
    Image size: pixels No night

    Back to Earth and Moon Viewer    Details    Credits
     Customise
    by John Walker

    Re: Training Week Ending March 12, 2006

    Group: rec.running Date: Sun, Mar 12, 2006, 9:31am From:
    [email protected] (Spring Fever)