Training Week Ending March 12, 2006

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Downhill running doesn't seem to affect my quads that much.

And let me add the proverbial but, You have not run 50 miles to include
downhills. You are getting through your 20 milers and not having any
problem which is good. As we know it has an accumulated 8,000 feet. I
worked my training runs up to 7,000 feet. I have no idea what
accumulated elevation you runs have. To be boorishly repetitious is
hours and elevation that counts and not miles.

> Additionally, I probably need to work on my dowhill running technique.

At least practice not locking your knees on the sections that are
runable. If the down is very step you may have to lock your knees to
keep from falling. If I knew the race had a lot of that I would toss in
some hikes that had a lot of steep downs to abuse my self before race
day. My training weekends alternated long(3-5 hours) strenuous up's and
downs, and on the other weekend shorter(2-3 hours) in distance and time,
hikes. My concept of hard easy weekends. The first time we did a hike
our quads were barking because the downs were so steep and a constant
breaking. By the third, which was Peekamoose it was a cake walk.

-DougF

"Tony S." <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Yea, the peekamoose climb starts at ~1200' and kind of levels off
> after the
> 2.35 miles, at 3500', so that's the bulk of the climb. It then goes
> another
> mile to the summit fairly flat with only 340' more vertical, so if you
> just
> want steep repeats, you could skip that last mile. As you suggest,
> it's more
> of a hike up at a 18+% grade for that section, though it undulates
> enough so
> that parts can be run, though not continuously per your "all run or
> all
> hike" formula.

When I used to race the Escarpment we would run just about every foot of
Peekamoose in training. :) It has the steepness and the ugly footing
like the Escarpment and was a nice change.

-DougF

"The Trailrunner" <TheTrailhead*BS*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
basically bounce from tree to tree on the way down.

> Oh ****! I've done a course like that and while not physically as hard
> as some others, in addition to being REALLY slow it beat me up pretty
> good. The problem is you can't get any rhythm going as the ups then
> downs are so short, you're constantly shifting gears.

Excellent point on the rhythm aspect and how it beats the hell out of
you. I remember when the VT50 was dirt roads like the 100 and people
complained it need more trails. One year The RD moved the race to almost
all trails and ATV roads and the people whined and *****ed that the
course was long because their times were so slow. The RD reminded
everyone that ungraded trails are far more exhausting/harder than graded
roads. And that's when the race only had about 5K. It has changed enough
since then and is 8K+. I went from running 8:30 and know happy to
break 10 hours. Some of it's age but mostly it's a harder race and
changes each year add more single track. It's almost impossible to
compare times from year to year.

-DF

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony S. wrote:
>
> > It's a vicarious thrill to follow these threads and watch Phil
> > preparing for his first 50 miler, speculating about the nature of
> > those nasty little hills...

> My salvation is knowing that everyone at the race is running the same
> course. But I think I'll be one of the few that regularly trains on hills.
> I don't purposely go looking for hills to do hill repeats. It just works
> out that all my routes have hills. This can make it a little tough to get
> in a good recovery run, especially as the temps start climbing.

Same with me, I regularly train on hills, usually on my longer runs on the
weekend. You did go to train on the AT, which had enough steep sections that
you had to hike some of them, which will help. Still, if I were you, I'd be
doing some kind of steep hill repeats this weekend. You could use up your
legs a little doing ~15 miles on rolling trails, then go to a chosen
200'-300' steep grade ~25% and do repeats on it for an hour and 1/2, or
until your quad feel baked. Don't you just love the free, unwanted advice
and idle speculation on r.r.

Two weeks before the escarpment trail run, I decided to do one last minute
hill session. I power hiked/jogged up the peekamoose climb, then ran down it
at 80% HR, 40 mins of '2600 down (15-20% grade) which worked my legs pretty
good. Two weeks was barely enough to recover, but I do think that one
workout helped my race. 2 repeats there three weeks out, done at race pace,
would have been better though. Better still, regular race-specific hill
sessions like that.

-Tony

SwStudio wrote:
> Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
> week and goals.

su-no run, weights for upper body
m-1:35 long run, excellent workout, feeling strong
tu-rest day
w-:50 hill/interval run, mixed it up today to keep things interesting
th-no run, weights for upper body
f-:50 tempo run, felt like **** before workout but like a million bucks
after. glad i did it.
sa-no run, :45 swim workout with long continuous swim, then drills
su-no run, weights for upper body

goals: fell off the eating-properly wagon and indulged a bit too much
the last half of the week. too many sweets. ****! must get back to it
and more seriously. or maybe i don't need to be so hard on myself?
thing is this.... i can do my runs well in this state, and could
comfortably do the May half marathon even if i continued eating like
this.... occasionally.

BUT, i need to watch the nutrition more carefully if i'm to comfortably
finish the Olympic distance triathlon in early August. sure, i'll lose
some weight during the hot rides and runs in the summer prior to that
race, but i don't want a lot of empty calories going into me. must get
a better handle on that. the motivation just ain't there yet. yet.

s'all fer now,

Cam