General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Training Week Ending November 28, 2004

Started by SwStudio · · Last activity · 56 posts · 781 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 November 2004
Last activity
11 December 2004
Original author
SwStudio
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
781
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton ON)
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    www.allfalldown.org

  2. 9 Mi everyday except 5Mi on W & Th. Will rest on Sun. 46 Total, first full
    week since running NYMarathon & tried to run in dayllight hours to appreciate
    the Fall seasonal colors before the barren Winter rolls in. Considering how
    feasible it is to "flip the script" and become a morning daily runner as
    opposed to evening, at least for the Winter season.

    Racing in 7 days, 15K/9.3Mi....2 yrs ago clocked a 1:03:29-6:49/mile in 29F
    weather. I will be very pleased to go sub 1:03. It's gonna take a
    6:34-36/mile average to get the #10 slot in my age group and that might be just
    a tad out of my reach at the moment hence I'm thinking the #12 or #13 slot is
    where a sub 1:03 is gonna get me....we'll see...but, that's the cool thing
    about racing....Forest is right...it's like a box of chocolates...ya never know
    what ya gonna get... I might run over my head, I might crash and burn, or
    anything in between.

    I was wondering why doesn't this ng inform running clubs/organizations/magz
    about it's existence? A simple email at least maybe once a year? is this ng
    listed w/clubs? seems this ng has been around too long to not have a single
    peep, not one mention of the philadelphia marathon a week ago....i guess not
    even a lurker ran in this field of nearly 10,000. don't believe i read here
    about the atlanta marathon on thanksgiving....small..only about 850
    marathoners...but a first time marathoner won. and the seattle marathon is
    this weekend i think? haven't seen a peep on this ng on that either? just
    saying imo the ng is enriched w/local eyes/participants to observe/express
    comment...that's all.

    look, i'm not ragging on the ng per se,...just noting that it strikes as
    unfortunate for all to not have participants in these event that also
    contribute to the ng. some of these other running boards i see seem to have
    broader participation than this ng. i think the solution is to market this ng
    since it's not an off-shoot / adjunct to a commercial site that draws a user
    base.

    OK, maybe I'll wear a running shirt that says USENET, rec.running....on my
    daily runs in Central Park. I bet I can get a lurker in 24 hours!
    hahahahaha....maybe I'll do that for a big upcoming 10K and put my money where
    my mouth is...

  3. Goal: 40 miler in March

    Mon: 8 miles
    Tue: 8 miles
    Wed: 8 miles
    Thurs: 8 miles
    Fri: 8 miles
    Sat: dnr
    Sun: dnr

    Total: 40 miles

    --
    Colm

    "SwStudio" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

  4. Monday 5 easy
    Tuesday off
    Wednesday off
    Thursday 9 4k up 10k "race" 44:49 (The race only lasted about 5 k for
    me)
    splits 6:45, 6:59, 7:07, 7:22, 7:21, 7:37 .... you
    get the picture, the fierce headwinds, pouring rain
    and lighting and thunder that came up during mile 5 didn't help either!

    Friday 8k on Nordic Track skier
    Saturday 15 mile bike ride, Brrrr!
    Sunday 6.5 easy

    Goals
    Recover from the pounding my feet have taken. I have pain in both feet now,
    am getting my orthotics adjusted, trimmed so I can use them comfortably all
    the time. I'm also looking into Shockwave therapy as there is a local
    podiatrist that offers it.
    I'm backing off any kind of distance for the near future will do shorter
    races (5k) to mainitain leg speed.
    Hopefully my heels will heal and I can pick up training to race longer
    distances in the spring.
    However, I've decided that I'm probably going to only run races of a half
    marathon or shorter distance in the future.

    "SwStudio" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton ON)
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    www.allfalldown.org

  5. "Lanceandrew" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering why doesn't this ng inform running


    clubs/organizations/magz

    Quoted message said:

    about it's existence?

    Then wonder no longer, for I shall educate you, little lanceandrew.

    This ng is primarily a place for trolls to have fun. Everyone know this.
    Sure, the occasional - and occasionally interesting - running dialogue
    stutters across the screen, but if you factored out the trolls in all their
    guises I'm betting you'd be left with around 10-15 genuine posts on a *good*
    day.

    No-one comes here to be informed. Heaps of other reasons, yes, but genuine
    'seekers of running truths' will be sadly disappointed. I don't think this
    is a bad thing. Seeking and finding is something that's best done by
    yourself.

    Rec.running collects and retains a certain sort of person. Despite being
    one, I'm not entirely sure that they're *nice* people, but they're people
    nevertheless, and we deserve our place within the net community. So don't
    moan about what's not here. Celebrate what is.

  6. Goal: Complete recovery from NYCM, ramp mileage back up for Boston

    M: DNR
    T: 4.2 easy
    W: 5 easy
    Th: DNR
    F: 7 w/8x100m strides
    S: 5 easy
    Su: 10

    Total 31.2. Yearly total over 2,000.

    --
    Brian P. Baresch
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Professional editing and proofreading

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

  7. goals: learn, for the umpteenth time, the meaning of "too much too
    soon." Learn to live in fear of it. Upcoming races: nada if I don't
    wise up, otherwise maybe a non-racing 10K next weekend and Boston
    Marathon as a swan song next April.

    M: AM 3mi (8:41) new shoes / PM 60min cardio (20min stairmaster, 3.6mi
    elliptical)
    T: AM 5mi (8:53) / PM phys therapy for leg, 55min cardio (25min SM,
    2.25mi ET)
    W: nothing except some silly PT exercises
    R: AM 5mi (8:37), noticed a twinge in rt forefoot / later AM 50min
    cardio (25min SM, 2.5mi ET)
    F: AM 5mi (8:58) / PM PT + 50min cardio (25min SM, 25min recumbent
    bike), foot pretty sore
    Sa: 21.28 miles on my little 1-speed bike (1hr 40min)
    Su: 2mi walk/run (1 block/1 block), 4mi v easy (8:56), 1mi w/r, .5mi
    run, foot sore but manageable.

    total:
    22.5mi running
    3mi walk/run
    8.3mi elliptical
    21.28mi bike
    120min other cardio (stairmaster, recumbent bike)

    and I am no better off than before. One of the PT exercises I was
    given is toe-raises, and I've noticed quite a lot of crunching and
    snapping from that foot. Now it's sore on top, right where the 2nd
    toe meets the foot. It hurts on push-off while walking and running,
    and it hurts when you push down on it with your finger. I've given up
    the toe-raises for now, but the tendons still snap a lot when I walk
    or stretch the foot. I can run on it in the morning without limping,
    but I have to favor it the whole rest of the day.

    The pain is manageable, but I suspect I shouldn't be running on it.
    What the fcuk did I do? How did I manage to injure myself doing
    physical therapy, for god's sake?

    better week to you all

    Karen
    --
    live! vicariously!

  8. Parker Race said:

    Goals
    Recover from the pounding my feet have taken. I have pain in both
    feet now, am getting my orthotics adjusted, trimmed so I can use them
    comfortably all the time. I'm also looking into Shockwave therapy as
    there is a local podiatrist that offers it.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm backing off any kind of distance for the near future will do
    shorter races (5k) to mainitain leg speed.

    Do I read you right? Maybe it's just me, but I find that slow distance
    isn't very stressing to the ol' bod (especially if you can run on soft
    surfaces), but fast pace running is.

    If I were injured, the last thing I'd be doing is 5k races for speed...

    My general plan when injured is to run slowly without pain. If it hurts, I
    hike up mountains, or do what I must to get my exercise fix in, but never
    fast running...

    Leg speed comes around in a few weeks -- in my case 4 - 5 weeks these days.
    There's no need to panic.

    Good luck,

    Dan

  9. Goals : lose weight :-P

    Today's cross-country was enjoyable despite me being seriously slower
    than last year (ie I can generally do about HM pace and managed 4'15/km
    instead of 3'50/km).

    Paced OK and did a slight neg split = not passed by anyone and passed
    plenty, which is good for moral. HR at 95% all the way.

    Our ladies' won the team event and the club took 10+ cups in all, of
    which 6 first places across the age groups from 8yo to 76yo. Nice day
    out.

    Mon 1:00 10k 6mi 137bpm Easy on roads around home just so see how
    slowly I have to run to be at "easy" pace

    Tue 0:50 9k 6mi 148bpm 20' up, 6x220m/10% hill, 15'down. Fun.

    Wed-Fri REST

    Sat 0:36 7k 4mi 142bpm Easy in park behind house. 5x1100 loops

    Sun 0:50 11k 7mi 178bpm 18' up, 7670m Xcountry race in 32'42"
    ___________________
    3:20 36k 23mi

  10. "SwStudio" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    M - 3x(3min @ 11.6mph--->3min @ 5.8mph), 3k up, 3k down
    T - 17km easy
    W - am/20 min recumbant bike, moderate
    pm/13km moderate
    T - 10km easy
    F - 30 min recumbant bike, easy
    S - off
    S 5km hard; 3k up, 10k down

    Total: 68km (42 miles)

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton ON)
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    www.allfalldown.org

  11. "Dan Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do I read you right? Maybe it's just me, but I find that slow
    distance
    isn't very stressing to the ol' bod (especially if you can run on soft
    surfaces), but fast pace running is.

    If I were injured, the last thing I'd be doing is 5k races for
    speed...

    Quoted message said:


    My general plan when injured is to run slowly without pain. If it
    hurts, I
    hike up mountains, or do what I must to get my exercise fix in, but
    never
    fast running...

    Parker,
    I have to agree with Dan. You have done more than your body can handle
    and is falling apart - aka overtraining/over-racing. I would suggest you
    do nothing but easy slow short junk, if anything, for a few weeks. Look
    back, two marathons then a hard 15k which you collapsed the last 5k and
    your race this week. You need time to recover and back to base work.

    -DougF

  12. "np426z" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Lanceandrew" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering why doesn't this ng inform running


    clubs/organizations/magz

    Quoted message said:

    about it's existence?

    Then wonder no longer, for I shall educate you, little lanceandrew.

    This ng is primarily a place for trolls to have fun. Everyone know
    this.
    Sure, the occasional - and occasionally interesting - running dialogue
    stutters across the screen, but if you factored out the trolls in all
    their
    guises I'm betting you'd be left with around 10-15 genuine posts on a
    *good*
    day.

    No-one comes here to be informed. Heaps of other reasons, yes, but
    genuine
    'seekers of running truths' will be sadly disappointed. I don't
    think this
    is a bad thing. Seeking and finding is something that's best done by
    yourself.

    Roger is correct is a way. We have a [censored] pile of trolls from harmless
    to real [censored]. I think we all know who fits what shoe. The only way
    that I would ever suggest to the rest of the running world to come into
    r.r is if it was moderated.

    If you are looking for such a running board I would suggest the Dead
    Runners Society. There is a big group and some geographical subsets. As
    for r.r., it ain't going noplace ever! Many start here, get [censored] with
    the trolls, and go to other planets.

    -DougF

  13. SwStudio said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    A funny sort of week. A couple of good runs through the week followed by
    some indifferent racing at the weekend. One race in which I probably
    finished in the bottom 20% and another where I finished in the top 3%.

    Mon 7.2 miles hilly @ 7:31 mpm pace

    Tue club run 4.85 miles easy

    Wed easy run 5.1 miles @ 8:14 mpm pace

    Thu lsd 13.5 miles @ 7:51 mpm pace. This isn't my usual LSD pace but
    I'd left it till late in the evening (after 8:00 pm) and I didn't want to
    get home too late so I pushed on a bit. Was a bit surprised to see how much
    I'd pushed on when I got home! Probably didn't do my weekend racing any
    good.

    Fri dnr

    Sat Irvine beach park XC 5.6 miles 44:24 minutes, 7:56 mpm pace (ish).
    A foul and blustery day but just right for XC. ;-) Only a small field
    (40-50 ish runners) and there weren't too many behind me at the end. Didn't
    *feel* like I'd run too badly but was trounced by a clubmate who beat me by
    a much smaller margin last week so I guess I must have been running a bit
    slower.

    Sun St. Andrews Hospice 6k 3.75 miles 24:36, 6:34 mpm pace. Aparently
    1300 runners turned up for this charity fundraiser race but clearly not too
    many club runners. Despite the winner finishing in a bit under 20 minutes I
    couldn't have been much more than 20 to 30 runners behind.

    Total for week: 40 miles.

    Tim

  14. New unglamorous goal- recover from ITB pain and screwed up hamstring muscle

    Tues- 6 miles, some jogging, some walking. Walked up favorite training
    hill- measured it at one half mile long, 10-11% average grade.

    Thurs- 3 mile jog, stopped when knee started to feel painful

    Fri- 3 miles

    Sun- Going insane from too much time on my hands, went out for 10 miles:
    5 minutes of running, 5 minutes of walking then repeat. Discovered that
    naproxen sodium makes me pee my pants if I take it and then go jogging.

    also, much stretching...
    -J

    SwStudio said:


    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton ON)
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com
    www.allfalldown.org

  15. "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dan Stumpus" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do I read you right? Maybe it's just me, but I find that slow
    distance
    isn't very stressing to the ol' bod (especially if you can run on soft
    surfaces), but fast pace running is.

    If I were injured, the last thing I'd be doing is 5k races for
    speed...

    I don't plan on racing anything until my feet feel better.
    I'm going to take it easy for a couple of weeks and then go back to doing
    strides on grass/dirt if my feet are well, they're muvh better today already
    than they were Thursday afternoon.

    I won't do any races until January 1, and will do the 3.5 mile rather than
    the 1/2 Marathon assuming my feet are OK.
    Unfortunately trails may not be an option much longer in the great
    Northeast.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    My general plan when injured is to run slowly without pain. If it
    hurts, I
    hike up mountains, or do what I must to get my exercise fix in, but
    never
    fast running...

    Parker,
    I have to agree with Dan. You have done more than your body can handle
    and is falling apart - aka overtraining/over-racing. I would suggest you
    do nothing but easy slow short junk, if anything, for a few weeks. Look
    back, two marathons then a hard 15k which you collapsed the last 5k and
    your race this week. You need time to recover and back to base work.

    -DougF

    See my comments above, I won't be racing for at least a month, I've decided
    my body just isn't the right type for distance racing so it's time to
    accept that and concentrate on the distances I've had the most success in
    5k - 5 miles, if my feet come around I may consider longer races up to to
    the 1/2 Marathon. I've never come near the times I've been told I should be
    able to in a Marathon based on my times and training so I'm throwing in that
    towel. Hopefully you don't live in a low lying area near a creek down in the
    Hudson Valley!

    Parker

  16. Leafing through rec.running, I read SwStudio's message of 27 Nov 2004:

    Quoted message said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training week and
    goals.

    Mon 0.00 rest
    Tue 5.04 easy
    Wed 7.10 3up-3@LT-1down
    Thu 4.24 easy
    Fri 9.28 aerobic
    Sat 4.00 easy
    Sun 14.80 med long
    --------------------------
    Wk 44.46
    Yr 2,132.34

    Training:
    2 weeks until beginning 18 week training program for Boston. Slowly
    building miles back up to ease into begining of the first phase of
    marathon program.

    Sunday's 15-miler was perfect. 55 deg F, light wind, sunny. Felt great
    the whole way. The kind of day I live for. ;-)

    Racing Goals:
    3/5/05 Auburn Classic Half Marathon Auburn AL
    3/19/05 Azalea Trail Run 10K, Mobile AL
    4/2/05 Cooper River Bridge Run 10K, Charleston SC
    4/18/05 Boston Marathon, Boston MA

    Have a great week rec.runners.

    Phil M.

    --
    Real running begins where the sidewalk ends.

  17. Leafing through rec.running, I read Colm's message of 28 Nov 2004:

    Quoted message said:

    Goal: 40 miler in March

    Mon: 8 miles
    Tue: 8 miles
    Wed: 8 miles
    Thurs: 8 miles
    Fri: 8 miles
    Sat: dnr
    Sun: dnr

    Total: 40 miles

    Why 8 every day? Oh, wait... did I ask the same question last week?

    You ran 40 for the week and you're training for a 40 miler. I think there
    is a theme here, but I can't quite put my finger on it. OK, next week I'm
    posting my weekly report in octal. ;-)

    Phil M.

    --
    "What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." -John
    Short, South African coach.

  18. SwStudio said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    Feeling some life again in my legs as of about Fri this week. I suppose
    I'd say that I'm more or less recovered, though still not razor sharp yet.

    M rest
    T 6 3xmile in 5:30/5:30/5:21
    W 10
    T 10
    F 10.3
    S 5.6/10.3
    S 12

    Total 64

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  19. Leafing through rec.running, I read Doug Freese's message of 28 Nov 2004:

    Quoted message said:

    Many start here, get [censored] with the trolls, and go to other planets.

    If these people would just learn proper troll management, they would have a
    more enjoyable experience. Depending on your newsreader, it is very easy
    plonk for life and move on. I use xnews. In less than a second I can kill
    file a poster. They can morph their ID all they like. They are wasting
    their own time, not mine.

    I can see that a new lurker would be turned off. After all, my kill file
    has over 100 entries, mostly from rec.running.

    Phil M.

    --
    "What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." -John Short,
    South African coach.

  20. Parker Race said:


    See my comments above, I won't be racing for at least a month, I've decided
    my body just isn't the right type for distance racing so it's time to
    accept that and concentrate on the distances I've had the most success in
    5k - 5 miles, if my feet come around I may consider longer races up to to
    the 1/2 Marathon. I've never come near the times I've been told I should be
    able to in a Marathon based on my times and training so I'm throwing in that
    towel. Hopefully you don't live in a low lying area near a creek down in the
    Hudson Valley!

    In practice, most runners aren't able to match their WAVA scores (or other
    performance metrics) set in short races in the marathon. I know a sub 1:20
    who is still trying to go sub 3 (after several attempts). And then some sub
    1:23 guys who are just trying to work out problems they've had (mostly linked
    to hydration) so they can run a race without cramping up.

    These notions of what you've "been told" you "should" be able to do in a
    marathon may well represent rather rosy scenarios. The real world is much
    more cruel.

    If you'd rather focus on short distances, that's fine (indeed, I'd recommend
    it at least over spring), but don't just give up because of a perceived failure
    to "measure up" to a completely arbitrary standard.

    All the best,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.