General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Transitioning from Atkins

Started by Phoenix · · Last activity · 30 posts · 535 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 April 2006
Last activity
20 April 2006
Original author
Phoenix
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
535
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–30 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Roger Zoul said:

    J. David Anderson wrote:
    :: Phoenix wrote:
    ::: On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:02:09 GMT, "DB" <[email hidden]>
    ::: wrote:
    :::
    :::
    :::: Did you bother to read the book?
    :::
    :::
    ::: yes,i skimmed through it a couple months ago. The main thing is i
    ::: plan on eating over 60 g carbs per day eventually. Still not a
    ::: "normal" carb intake,but more than Atkins maintenance.Plus i will
    ::: be limiting fats, so it really wont be the Atkins diet anymore.
    :::
    ::
    ::
    :: I dropped sixty plus pounds a couple of years ago by heavily reducing
    :: carbs, watching calories, and exercising daily. I didn't go as low as
    :: Atkins followers believe is necessary, but I still lost the weight
    :: very easily. I now eat "normal" carb levels, i.e., 150 grams per day
    :: give or take ten or so, no junk carbs though, and have increased
    :: calories to 2500 - 3000. I am not putting any fat on (over the last
    :: eighteens months) and am very slowly increasing muscle.
    ::
    :: Yes you can lose weight and then eat normally, but I truly doubt
    :: that it can be done without exercise.

    Cubit lost about 150 lbs with almost no exercise.

    I didn't suggest that losing weight was not possible without exercise,
    it is, but with more difficulty. I responded regarding both losing
    weight and maintaining while eating normally. If Cubit can eat both the
    quantities of food and the level of carbs that I can and do, then Cubit
    has done brilliantly.

    I still prefer my way, I enjoy exercise, as I suspect you do.

    Regards

    David

    --

    To email me, please include the letters DNF anywhere in the subject line.

    All other mail is automatically deleted.

  2. Roger Zoul said:

    J. David Anderson wrote:
    :: Phoenix wrote:
    ::: On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:02:09 GMT, "DB" <[email hidden]>
    ::: wrote:
    :::
    :::
    :::: Did you bother to read the book?
    :::
    :::
    ::: yes,i skimmed through it a couple months ago. The main thing is i
    ::: plan on eating over 60 g carbs per day eventually. Still not a
    ::: "normal" carb intake,but more than Atkins maintenance.Plus i will
    ::: be limiting fats, so it really wont be the Atkins diet anymore.
    :::
    ::
    ::
    :: I dropped sixty plus pounds a couple of years ago by heavily reducing
    :: carbs, watching calories, and exercising daily. I didn't go as low as
    :: Atkins followers believe is necessary, but I still lost the weight
    :: very easily. I now eat "normal" carb levels, i.e., 150 grams per day
    :: give or take ten or so, no junk carbs though, and have increased
    :: calories to 2500 - 3000. I am not putting any fat on (over the last
    :: eighteens months) and am very slowly increasing muscle.

    I'm not sure why you think that Atkins won't allow 150 g / day of carbs.
    The maintenance phase could very easily allow that for very active people.
    Just because you didn't follow the process to get there doesn't mean one
    can't do it.

    I don't think that at all Roger, my point is that sufficient exercise
    will allow a normal diet. Normal as in nutritionally recommended for
    health, not normal as in the previous levels that created the weight
    problems.

    I could hardly describe myself as following Atkins now, although, as you
    point out, I well might be, as I didn't follow his recommended methods
    for originally losing the weight. The only similarity was that by
    stopping all carbs that didn't offer nutritional benefit, I reduced
    carbs to way below my previous levels. My emphasis to lose the weight
    was on cutting junk carbs and high levels of exercise to create a
    calorie deficit. Not how *most* people follow Atkins.

    Regards

    David

    --

    To email me, please include the letters DNF anywhere in the subject line.

    All other mail is automatically deleted.

  3. J. David Anderson wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: J. David Anderson wrote:
    ::::: Phoenix wrote:
    :::::: On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:02:09 GMT, "DB" <[email hidden]>
    :::::: wrote:
    ::::::
    ::::::
    ::::::: Did you bother to read the book?
    ::::::
    ::::::
    :::::: yes,i skimmed through it a couple months ago. The main thing is i
    :::::: plan on eating over 60 g carbs per day eventually. Still not a
    :::::: "normal" carb intake,but more than Atkins maintenance.Plus i will
    :::::: be limiting fats, so it really wont be the Atkins diet anymore.
    ::::::
    :::::
    :::::
    ::::: I dropped sixty plus pounds a couple of years ago by heavily
    ::::: reducing carbs, watching calories, and exercising daily. I didn't
    ::::: go as low as Atkins followers believe is necessary, but I still
    ::::: lost the weight very easily. I now eat "normal" carb levels,
    ::::: i.e., 150 grams per day give or take ten or so, no junk carbs
    ::::: though, and have increased calories to 2500 - 3000. I am not
    ::::: putting any fat on (over the last eighteens months) and am very
    ::::: slowly increasing muscle.
    :::::
    ::::: Yes you can lose weight and then eat normally, but I truly doubt
    ::::: that it can be done without exercise.
    :::
    ::: Cubit lost about 150 lbs with almost no exercise.
    ::
    :: I didn't suggest that losing weight was not possible without
    :: exercise, it is, but with more difficulty. I responded regarding
    :: both losing weight and maintaining while eating normally. If Cubit
    :: can eat both the quantities of food and the level of carbs that I
    :: can and do, then Cubit has done brilliantly.

    Well, I'm not sure if he can do that, but I bet he'll maintain. His normal
    as moved, as has mine. My "normal" used to include donuts, pies, cones,
    supersize fries, etc.

    ::
    :: I still prefer my way, I enjoy exercise, as I suspect you do.
    ::

    Yes, I do recommend it and I enjoy it. The only reason I bring it up, is
    because some folks can't/won't exercise, and I think it's important to not
    rain on their parade by telling them they can't lose and maintain without
    exercise. Many people lose fine without it. If fact, I think the OP did.

    ::
    :: Regards
    ::
    :: David
    ::
    ::
    :: --
    ::
    :: To email me, please include the letters DNF anywhere in the subject
    :: line.
    ::
    :: All other mail is automatically deleted.

  4. J. David Anderson wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: J. David Anderson wrote:
    ::::: Phoenix wrote:
    :::::: On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:02:09 GMT, "DB" <[email hidden]>
    :::::: wrote:
    ::::::
    ::::::
    ::::::: Did you bother to read the book?
    ::::::
    ::::::
    :::::: yes,i skimmed through it a couple months ago. The main thing is i
    :::::: plan on eating over 60 g carbs per day eventually. Still not a
    :::::: "normal" carb intake,but more than Atkins maintenance.Plus i will
    :::::: be limiting fats, so it really wont be the Atkins diet anymore.
    ::::::
    :::::
    :::::
    ::::: I dropped sixty plus pounds a couple of years ago by heavily
    ::::: reducing carbs, watching calories, and exercising daily. I didn't
    ::::: go as low as Atkins followers believe is necessary, but I still
    ::::: lost the weight very easily. I now eat "normal" carb levels,
    ::::: i.e., 150 grams per day give or take ten or so, no junk carbs
    ::::: though, and have increased calories to 2500 - 3000. I am not
    ::::: putting any fat on (over the last eighteens months) and am very
    ::::: slowly increasing muscle.
    :::
    ::: I'm not sure why you think that Atkins won't allow 150 g / day of
    ::: carbs. The maintenance phase could very easily allow that for very
    ::: active people. Just because you didn't follow the process to get
    ::: there doesn't mean one can't do it.
    ::
    :: I don't think that at all Roger, my point is that sufficient exercise
    :: will allow a normal diet. Normal as in nutritionally recommended for
    :: health, not normal as in the previous levels that created the weight
    :: problems.

    I see what you mean, even though one could argue what "nutritionally
    recommended for health" means.
    But I do agree with that POV in general.

    ::
    :: I could hardly describe myself as following Atkins now, although, as
    :: you point out, I well might be, as I didn't follow his recommended
    :: methods for originally losing the weight.

    Well, I can certainly understand one not wishing to deal with induction.
    While I think it does have some uses for some, it is by no means a necessary
    part of a low carb plan. I should state that I don't follow Atkins either
    technically, but I use the concepts and will even do an "induction" phase
    myself, especially at the start of a year (after too much holiday cheer).
    My personality is such that I just prefer to roll my own most of the time,
    but I find it useful to read for harvesting ideas. Also, Atkins is what
    really got me clued into low carb in general and I did faithfully follow it
    as written until I felt comfortable enough to veer off.

    The only similarity was
    :: that by stopping all carbs that didn't offer nutritional benefit, I
    :: reduced carbs to way below my previous levels. My emphasis to lose
    :: the weight was on cutting junk carbs and high levels of exercise to
    :: create a calorie deficit. Not how *most* people follow Atkins.

    Well, that's essential what I did, but perhaps you included certain foods
    that I didn't and perhaps you kept your carb levels higher than I did. I
    tend to be a carb addict, though, so the restriction really helped me.
    Also, exercise has always been a motivator for staying on course in my diet.
    The effort put forth for 1-hour of hard exercise can easily be undone
    (calorie-wise, i mean), in a very short time by sloppy diet. I seriously
    don't like wasting time spent like that.

  5. Phoenix said:
    DB said:

    Did you bother to read the book?

    yes,i skimmed through it a couple months ago.

    In other words, no you did not read the book.

    Step one - Actually read the book so you know what the process
    actually is.

    Step two - Stop referring to Atkins if you're not actually doing it.

    Quoted message said:

    The main thing is i plan
    on eating over 60 g carbs per day eventually.

    So? When I followed the actual process my CCLL was 50
    and my CCLM was 100. I typically eat near 90-100 these
    days.

    Quoted message said:

    Still not a "normal"
    carb intake,but more than Atkins maintenance.

    "Normal" is too much. Therefore eating "normal" is bad.

    Quoted message said:

    Plus i will be limiting
    fats, so it really wont be the Atkins diet anymore.

    Except that the instructions do discuss fat intake so this is
    yet another reason you shouldn't refer to Atkins until you
    have actually read the book. On Atkins it is common to
    gradually reduce fat intake to approximately match the
    gradually increasing carb intake.

    If you're doing fine on your current plan, go for it. Please
    don't call it "Atkins" until you have actually read the book and
    actually tried what the directions say.

  6. It's pretty amazing how many people do that though. The most tiresome
    thing about Atkins IMO, is trying to explain it to people who have no
    clue about it, or LC in general.

    --
    Cheri

    Doug Freyburger wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    If you're doing fine on your current plan, go for it. Please
    don't call it "Atkins" until you have actually read the book and
    actually tried what the directions say.

  7. Cheri wrote:
    :: It's pretty amazing how many people do that though. The most tiresome
    :: thing about Atkins IMO, is trying to explain it to people who have no
    :: clue about it, or LC in general.

    No kidding. You know, I'm at the point where I question the wisdom of even
    trying.

    ::
    :: --
    :: Cheri
    ::
    ::
    ::
    :: Doug Freyburger wrote in message
    ::
    :::
    ::: If you're doing fine on your current plan, go for it. Please
    ::: don't call it "Atkins" until you have actually read the book and
    ::: actually tried what the directions say.

  8. Cheri' gserviceatinreachdotcom said:

    It's pretty amazing how many people do that though. The most
    tiresome thing about Atkins IMO, is trying to explain it to people
    who have no clue about it, or LC in general.

    They've gotten used to getting their diet advice from 1-minute blurbs
    on morning TV blather shows. It doesn't occur to them that a real
    healthy diet might require more than a few sentences to explain, so
    they catch the first few they hear about it and stop listening.

    --
    Aaron -- [email hidden] -- 285/240/200
    http://www.myspace.com/aaronbaugher

    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also
    have a custom: When men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their
    necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my
    carpenters will build a gallows.You may follow your custom. And then
    we will follow ours." -- General Sir Charles Napier

  9. LClioness said:

    I know of some that have switched to weight watchers from atkins and
    lost weight. But they didn't have a major problem with carbs like I
    do. If you have successfully lost 20 pounds so far on your "Atkins"
    why stop? Just up the carbs for the days you exercise. I am able to
    do this and still stay in ketosis.

    Not for the OP, who seems too idiotic to take good advice anyways, but
    in general...

    I have used SweetTarts to titrate carbs for exercise. For me, there's
    several advantages. First, I don't like the things, so there's no
    "temptation" involved in having them around the house - absolutely no
    chance I'll binge on them. Second, each one is 5 grams carb, a small
    enough amount to be able to control the amount of carb easily.
    Finally, it is a fast sugar so immediatly available when exercising -
    if I underestimate what I need, I can just pop another one.

    Basically, you start an exercise program, and at first, you probably
    don't need any carbs at all. When you start ramping up the exercise,
    amd find yourself "hitting a wall", you eat a SweetTart and see if it
    sustains you at a particular exercise level. As your exercise level
    increases over time, you eat more SweetTarts.

    Test after the exercise. Best is to test bg, but you can also test for
    ketosis. This lets you know that you are not overeating carb for the
    amount of exercise you're doing. So... you can find out how much carb
    you need for different amounts of exercise.

    Once you gather the data... so you know you need X amount of carb to
    ride Y miles on your bike, you can switch to something healthier than
    candy. The candy is just for titration purposes because it's such a
    small amount and accessible fast if you underestimate.

  10. Aaron Baugher said:
    Cheri said:

    It's pretty amazing how many people do that though. The most
    tiresome thing about Atkins IMO, is trying to explain it to people
    who have no clue about it, or LC in general.

    They've gotten used to getting their diet advice from 1-minute blurbs
    on morning TV blather shows. It doesn't occur to them that a real
    healthy diet might require more than a few sentences to explain, so
    they catch the first few they hear about it and stop listening.

    1) Carbs are a tool to be used to trigger fat loss, so start low
    and build systematically to find your ideal level for loss and
    later for maintenance. Use ketosis for loss then turn away
    from it after you've lost.

    2) Foods you commonly eat sometimes cause problems like
    binging, so start with a restrictive list and add back systematically
    to find what foods caused you problems and avoid those foods
    from then on. Even the foods you always took for granted are
    suspect at first.

    Atkins really is that simple for its principles. Once the principles
    are understood really any question about the process can be
    answered. Don't memorize every detail - Memorize the principle
    that when applied will give those answers.

    The problem is neither principle makes sense on the surface.
    If low is good it's obvious that lower is better. I've been eating
    X all my life so I couldn't possibly have problems with X. And
    it requires the sort of thought that folks rarely want. Many
    prefer rules and menus to a few general principles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.