Trek 1500 or 1200... tires are main difference

jpickering

Aug 20, 2003
I am looking at Trek road bikes and have narrowed my choice down to the 1500 or the 1200. The main difference is that the 1500 upgrades to the Bontrager Select wheels which are a $400 value. Since the bike only costs $200 more than the 1200($800), I am having trouble knowing whether to upgrade or not.

My main question is this...will they ride better and will there be a noticable difference in speed?

I do plan to enter a race in the near future for a fitness goal, so a little more speed would help, I just have to know its going to help!!

Thanks for any input!!:)

Originally posted by jpickering
I am looking at Trek road bikes and have narrowed my choice down to the 1500 or the 1200. The main difference is that the 1500 upgrades to the Bontrager Select wheels which are a $400 value. Since the bike only costs $200 more than the 1200($800), I am having trouble knowing whether to upgrade or not.

My main question is this...will they ride better and will there be a noticable difference in speed?

I do plan to enter a race in the near future for a fitness goal, so a little more speed would help, I just have to know its going to help!!

You also get a ultegra derailleur and 105 shifters for the money...

The ultegra derailleur will certainly last longer, and shift better than 105. The 105 shifters also are an upgrade from tiagra and look much better. (I personally hate the looks of tiagra.)

As for the Select wheels, I hear that they are not good for heavy riders. Whats your weight? Other than that, its a good improvement for the money, and a big weight difference. The colors for the 1500 are cooler too.

Originally posted by isdsms
You also get a ultegra derailleur and 105 shifters for the money...

The ultegra derailleur will certainly last longer, and shift better than 105. The 105 shifters also are an upgrade from tiagra and look much better. (I personally hate the looks of tiagra.)

As for the Select wheels, I hear that they are not good for heavy riders. Whats your weight? Other than that, its a good improvement for the money, and a big weight difference. The colors for the 1500 are cooler too.

I weigh about 165. So I'm not a real heavy rider. I agree, the Ultegra deraileur is a good upgrade. These differences certainly seem like they are worth the 200 dollars extra for the 1500.

Thanks

I weigh about 165. So I'm not a real heavy rider. I agree, the Ultegra deraileur is a good upgrade. These differences certainly seem like they are worth the 200 dollars extra for the 1500.

Thanks

Get the 1500, nice bike.

Allan

I'm 6ft and 295 pounds and I have the 1500 and after 600plus miles I haven't had any problems with the tires. I love the bike but it's my first so I can't compare it. I added a pair of beebop pedals and I'm happy with those as well.

Originally posted by flea77
Get the 1500, nice bike.

Allan
Yeah. Less chance of catching upgrade fever and spending even more later on. Especailly if yer thinking of racing.

I don't mean to confuse this buying decison even more for you, but have you considered the giant OCR-1? It costs the same but comes with ultegra shifters and a 105 front derailleur.

The wheels are Formula Xero XSR-3 20/25Hs. I have absolutely no idea about how these measure up to the bontragers.