Trek 5000 Revisited...

biker7

Oct 15, 2004
Gang,
Will be heading to my LBS shortly...or perhaps more than one bike shop :) in pursuit of buying an '05 Trek 5000. I simply can't find a bike I like better nor can I build a better bike out of parts for less money. There are better bikes out there of course and a few members of this board ride them ;)
Please have a look at the specs for this bike:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road/Performance_Road/OCLV_Carbon-ZR_9000/5000/index.php
Quite certain I will purchase the bike as a double versus a triple because I never would use a granny gear as I rarely ride on the smallest of two so that solves that.

Three things come to mind to consider changing:
- Bontrager Race Lite tires, folding, 700x25c (I like the 25mm width for the roads I ride but not sure about the quality of these tires)
- 105 Front Derailleur
- Bontrager Race Luxe Seat

That's about it...a short list. What do you suggest? Should I change any or all of the above? If so, with what components?
My thought is...best to change anything I don't like on the bike up front before purchase and work a deal with the LBS to get credit for changed out parts.
Believe the frame with carbon fork and seat post are excellent, including the wheelset and other components.
If anybody would change anything else about the bike, please advise.
Thanks,
George

biker7 said:
Gang,
Will be heading to my LBS shortly...or perhaps more than one bike shop :) in pursuit of buying an '05 Trek 5000. I simply can't find a bike I like better nor can I build a better bike out of parts for less money. There are better bikes out there of course and a few members of this board ride them ;)
http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road/Performance_Road/OCLV_Carbon-ZR_9000/5000/index.php
Quite certain I will purchase the bike as a double versus a triple because I never would use a granny gear as I rarely ride on the smallest of two so that solves that.

- Bontrager Race Lite tires, folding, 700x25c (I like the 25mm width for the roads I ride but not sure about the quality of these tires)
- 105 Front Derailleur

That's about it...a short list. What do you suggest? Should I change any or all of the above? If so, with what components?
My thought is...best to change anything I don't like on the bike up front before purchase and work a deal with the LBS to get credit for changed out parts.
Believe the frame with carbon fork and seat post are excellent, including the wheelset and other components.
Thanks,
George
Tires are disposable anyway. Nothing wrong with a 105 FD.It has an easy job. Get a saddle that suits your posterior. Simple problems,simpler solutions.

Thanks Boudreaux...wasn't sure about the 105 front derailleur in particular if it would be wise to switch out or not. You are correct of course about the tires and seat...small potatoes. Before I pull the trigger on the Trek 5000, I owe it to myself to test ride an '05 Giant OCR Composite which is built a bit more upright for my aging back and has a higher tech one-piece carbon frame construction and comes in for quite a bit less money with similar components compared to the Trek. I am pretty much sold on a carbon frame bike even though they cost a bit more and of course Giant without the Trek name has come in with their monocoque carbon frame well underneath Trek's price point with similar components. Some traditionalists don't like the compact Giant frame but I am keeping an open mind until I try one on. Noticed that Trek has caught some criticism for offering their carbon framed bike with reduced components for what some feel isn't worth the $2K or so.
Good to have choices...
George

biker7 said:
I owe it to myself to test ride ...George

Presuming for a second that you aren't kidding about spending a couple grand on a bike and allowing that you owe it to yourself to test ride another competing frame... you probably owe it to yourself to also test ride a Specialized Roubaix and any other composite model that floats your boat.

biker7 said:
Gang,

- 105 Front Derailleur

Thanks,
George

I just brought home my new Trek yesterday. It was a closeout on a 2004 5200 with a Project One paint job. I've got full Ultegra, Bontrager Race Lite wheels and Ultegra pedals. Anyway, I took it out for my first ride this morning(20 miler) and was very impressed to say the least. What surprised me most?..the Bontrager Race Lite wheels. They really seem like a tough set of wheels and they roll silky smooth with their aero bladed spokes. This is my first introduction to trek carbon and the OCLV frame has just blown me away. I'm coming off of a lugged steel frame...so today's ride was something else! I can't believe the difference. The carbon makes the asphalt so soft and smooth compared to my steel frame..and the OCLV is much lighter to boot..and it looks better too. so basically what I'm saying is that I hope you have as good experience with the 5000 as I am having with my 5200. I have no regrets. The only noise I heard coming from my bike on todays ride was the purr of the tire spinning over the asphalt. No clicks or creaks!

oneradtec said:
I just brought home my new Trek yesterday. It was a closeout on a 2004 5200 with a Project One paint job. I've got full Ultegra, Bontrager Race Lite wheels and Ultegra pedals. Anyway, I took it out for my first ride this morning(20 miler) and was very impressed to say the least. What surprised me most?..the Bontrager Race Lite wheels. They really seem like a tough set of wheels and they roll silky smooth with their aero bladed spokes. This is my first introduction to trek carbon and the OCLV frame has just blown me away. I'm coming off of a lugged steel frame...so today's ride was something else! I can't believe the difference. The carbon makes the asphalt so soft and smooth compared to my steel frame..and the OCLV is much lighter to boot..and it looks better too. so basically what I'm saying is that I hope you have as good experience with the 5000 as I am having with my 5200. I have no regrets. The only noise I heard coming from my bike on todays ride was the purr of the tire spinning over the asphalt. No clicks or creaks!
Oh yea! My new Trek came with a stock Bontrager saddle. I was impressed with its quality. Usually you want to quickly swap out a stock saddle...but I didn't want to swap this one because I like it so much. I have a Selle Italia saddle on my old road bike and I'm not going to put it on my Trek because I like that Bonty saddle. I hope you get the same saddle with your 5000. It is very comfortable and well made...which is unusual for stock saddles. Reading some of the reviews on Trek 5200's..I see that in past years everyone complained about the stiff stock saddle and peeling decals among other complaints. Seems like Trek was reading those reviews and worked to improve in those areas. My decals are under the clearcoat and shouldn't peel off for a very long time...and the saddle is great. That is the mark of a good bike company when they listen to the feedback of their customers. Also..many reviewers complained about the Trek bikes looking like rolling billboards with the big flashy and numerous decals on past models of Trek OCLV...so it seems Trek listened to their customers on that too because the newer Trek are not nearly as flashy in the decal department. I think that 5000 looks great! Again..Trek is really impressing me.

Congratulations Oneradtec on such a great bike...5200 is a beauty. Believe the 5200 is spec'ed with one notch up wheels...the Bontrager Race Lite wheels versus the std. Bontrager Race wheels on the 5000. Trek subtley reduced component level to reduce 5000 pricing a bit. I agree with you about the '05 5000 color scheme...it is just right...not a fancy boy racer paint job...more understated which I prefer as well. And Thanks RC for the tip on the Specialized Roubaix...another nice bike...not too common in these parts. And its OK to doubt that I may spend $2K on a bike. But if you want to make a small wager, maybe you would like to contribute to my pedal fund? :cool:
Cheers,
George